New guy here

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Mauserdude67

New guy here

Post by Mauserdude67 »

Hi, all. I hail from NW Texas. I have shot a lot, reloaded a lot when I was much younger, and am now about to start reloading 300BLK for use with a suppressor. I've had my 16" PSA 300 upper for about 5 years and I have shot a few thousand rounds through it. Now that I have my suppressor(s), and due to the Corona Pandemic/election year/riots mayhem and the resulting ammo shortages experienced by many including myself, I am going to start reloading my own. I understand that components are getting scarce, as well, so this may just have to wait.
I've got just about everything needed to start making some reloads, I'm just down to powder, bullet and primer selection. I really want to keep it on the subsonic side. I have saved most, if not all of my brass and have a pretty good supply already tumbled and de-primed, waiting to be re-sized and re-loaded.
If anybody has a good load suggestion beyond what is in the stickies here, please do not hesitate to mention it. I'm open to any and all help. I so very much appreciate the information that is presented here and all of those that have contributed to it.
Thanks,
Greg
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Re: New guy here

Post by BlogSarge »

Welcome Mauserdude,

I can’t help with reloading as I sold my gear 25 years ago. But others will no doubt have suggestions.

Are you interested in loads for hunting, defense, plinking, target, or...?

Cheers,
BlogSarge
Mauserdude67

Post by Mauserdude67 »

Hunting would be a main interest, but target shooting is what I do most. I can imagine that a well-developed general hunting cartridge could be a good defensive round, as well. Getting my feet wet with the subsonic loads will eventually lead to loading subs in other calibers like .308 Win. and 9mm. Right now I'm just blown away by the lack of available small rifle mag. primers. Just crickets and tumbleweeds wherever I search.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Welcome to the forum!

Loading subsonic in 9mm is super easy, just use a 147grain bullet. .308 is more difficult due to the huge amount of air space in it. But I got success years ago using small quantities of extremely fast powder. I'm not giving a load deliberately. I don't want to be the person who gave you something that you blew your gun up with. There are thousands of suitable loads for it though.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

aside from the stuff in the load catalog, without knowing what projectile you'll be getting your hands on, and what powder you might be able to find - theres so many combinations out there that might make your head dizzy.

generally speaking - look for a bullet between 180 and 240 grains, 190-210gr seems to be the sweet spot. if its cast, powder coated generally is your friend.

for powder - if you can find them anyway - 1680, shooters world blackout & shooters world socom are going to be the easiest to be successful with. theres lots of data with other powders in the load catalog though.

one thing to note - most of the brass has crimped primer pockets, so you'll want to address that if you havent already. its a one time process, but almost absolutely necessary to not fight primers in (or fail completely)

a swager works, of which there are several options - dedicated bench mounted & swaging dies for on-press use

but you'll need a swage gauge to make sure you're not over doing it.

https://ballistictools.com/store/swage- ... mer-pocket

the other option is reaming the crimp out, which unfortunately can easily be over done. one of the tools i've used successfully that helps mitigate that risk is the RCBS military crimp remover

https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-90386-Milit ... B07PT6ZZHJ

hth
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Mauserdude67

Post by Mauserdude67 »

Wow, thanks for all of the prompt replies.
So, my list of supplies is as follows:

205 gr. HBT Berger Elite Hunters
IMR 4198 powder
CCI - Small Rifle primers
about 1000 300 BLK cases from commercially loaded 300 BLK ammo.

As for the primer pockets, I have an RCBS mil. crimp remover for my prep station but I will definitely get the gauge. That looks like a cheap little piece of insurance. I also recently bought the slotted case comparator that is talked about here (forget the name) and that is a slick little piece of work, too.

I was lucky in the fact that the closest Academy Sports & Outdoors store to my location just got in a shipment of reloading stuff and I was able to grab about 1500 of the CCI SR primers. No much, but at least it's a start. It looks like that may be my best bet at grabbing some different powders, too.