Please allow me to introduce myself

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

BJK
Silent But Deadly

Please allow me to introduce myself

Post by BJK »

I'm a new .300BLK owner of an arm braced AR type handgun that I assembled myself. It sorta worked, but was short stroking, so a 'net search led me here where I learned that there are rifle length buffer springs and carbine length. Removing 3 coils of spring solved the problem and I have 2 carbine length springs on order. :D What a surprise that proper components would make something function correctly, right?

So you folks helped me before you even knew me. Thanks for the information.

My background? I've been shooting for over 50 years, a reloader of SAAMI and wildcat cartridges for close to all of that. I compete in Steel Challenge and USPSA Action Pistol and even at my age do pretty good but more importantly am getting better.

So after I get the proper carbine spring installed I'll get busy working up a supersonic and subsonic load for the gun.

I hope to be an asset to this forum and contribute beyond this 1st post.
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Re: Please allow me to introduce myself

Post by Sig220 »

Welcome aboard and don't be a stranger! Seems with the heat of the summer or the china virus people are shooting less. Hopefully, it will pick up in the next couple of months!

Shoot safe and have fun!
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

Welcome aboard! I also shoot Steel Challenge and USPSA, a 50+ year hand loader and shooter. Recent dumb injury has slowed me down most of last year and then the dreaded Covid stuff came upon us this season. I have built some pistols in BLK and 5.56 and sure enjoy the compact units.

Be well and vigilant :!:

TR
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Thanks Gents!

Here's a pic of the handgun I mentioned above. Yes, I know the pros and cons of covering the can with the handguard, but I'm hoping that the carbon fiber will do what CF is said to do very well, and spread the heat out and get rid of it. I haven't gotten the can that hot yet to find out. All in due time.

And here it is with an alternate can that makes it much quieter. I like the aesthetics of the first configuration so much more, but all that can does is to get rid of blast for CQB. It's not hearing safe.

At this time the plan is to have a can in place close to 100% of the time. The rest of the time (<1%) I'll be forced to put a blast forwarder in place to keep the handguard from self destructing. But that's basically just a lightweight tube with a threaded end. If I need to attach things to the handguard I think there's clearance but I might need to shorten screws. But the role I see the handgun in I don't see much need for doodads hanging from it and weighing it down more. I'm in no hurry, I'll figure it out.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

BJK,
Welcome to our little corner of the web. It’s good to have another man of wealth and taste!

I like the CF hand guard. In fact, I used the same one you have on my 350 Legend build. It is a low volume gun so I haven’t checked out the heat issue with it either. Maybe I should build another 5.56 SBR or pistol and see what happens.

Welcome again!

BlogSarge
Last edited by BlogSarge on Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

welcome from michigan!
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Welcome, I can see by the pistol that you're clearly a man of wealth and taste.

Oh and it was Lee Harvey Oswald and Sirhan Sirhan. :shock:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Yeah, I realized what I posted after I posted it. Oh well, I like the Stones so I didn't change it.