buffer weight for quietest db at the ear?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

airwolf

buffer weight for quietest db at the ear?

Post by airwolf »

Its been a while since I have posted, but I have severely damaged ears and all of my past posts have largely been about trying to setup the quietest 300 blk upper.

I just got a good price on 16 inch 300 blk upper with a pistol length gas system. I may be changing that to a carbine length gas system as I have been advised on here, but I will be definitely installing an adjustable gas block.

I will ONLY ever be shooting this upper, suppressed with subsonic loads, never anything else. I currently have an omega 300 suppressor and I'm in the process of looking to get a larger volume 300 can that will be hopefully a little quieter/ less back pressure than the omega.

So this brings me to my main question of what weight buffer do I want to run? I have always thought a heavier one, such as an H2/H3 to slow the unlocking of the bcg would help with port noise, but is that still a good idea if I'm going to run an adjustable gas block?

With an AGB, I have started to think I would want to maybe go the other direction and lighten the buffer so that I can utilize even less gas from the AGB and then less gas port pressure?

Nonetheless, I'm willing to do whatever is necessary to achieve the lowest db at the ear, and any advice is greatly appreciated.
dpete
Silent But Deadly

Re: buffer weight for quietest db at the ear?

Post by dpete »

To me the loudest noise coming to my ear as I fire my suppressed blackout is the slamming of the bcg back and forth and I'm not sure any changes to the buffer system would change that. That metal slap clack next to your ear is loud enough that you can't really tell how quiet the rifle is.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I would probably go with a JP captured spring and buffer assembly. Get the weight and spring set. The buffer hit a Delrin cushion and with the different springs and weight along with the adjustable block, you can tune it so the buffer does not bottom out. Less noise, less recoil.

As for weight, you will have to play with it. The longer the bolt stays locked, the less noise it will make, but that gets balanced by less gas to deal with in the first place.

https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.7.2_os.php

300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
airwolf

Post by airwolf »

Thanks for the responses.

I'm aware of the silent buffer setups and had actually planned on getting the armaspec stealth recoil spring. I know it's not as adjustable as the JP but the price difference is significant. I'm just not sure what weight I should run on the armaspec with an adjustable gas block and subsonic rounds, a suppressor and a 16 inch barrel.

I know this often involves some trial and error, but I was hoping to get some guidance on where I should start.

https://armaspec.com/stealthtm-recoil-s ... -ar15.html
Last edited by airwolf on Wed May 13, 2020 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
hotwing

Post by hotwing »

Dellet is spot on.

If cost is a concern, I've found the Geissele Super 42 runs pretty darn quiet (though not quite as quiet as the SCS). Can be had for about $50 on sale.
https://geissele.com/super-42-braided-w ... combo.html

They do warn about using it with suppressed 300 blk. Mine runs fine with any of the H1, H2, or H3 buffers (pistol length gas & adjustable gas block), suppressed or not. YMMV
noname
Silent Operator

Post by noname »

If it is to personal, then disregard my question. But was you ear damage from loud noises,i.e. shooting?
Previously known as hardcase. Moved lost internet connection for 1+ years.
airwolf

Post by airwolf »

My ear damage was pretty much all from shooting guns. Mostly did not have adequate hearing protection. I have hearing loss, tinnitus in both ears that never stops and a condition called hyperacusis, which makes everyday sounds seem too loud.

I always thought worse case scenario was that I could potentially get some hearing loss, but never expected all these other conditions.

Hindsight being 20/20 I would have worn both earplugs and earmuffs at all times, ESPECIALLY at indoor ranges.