Appreciate some advice on an optic

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

BigHat

Appreciate some advice on an optic

Post by BigHat »

Have a KAC SR-30 with a 9.5" barrel. Have many extra optics kicking around and wondered what you thought might be a good fit. It will be used supressed and unsurpassed, and with supersonic and subsonic ammo. Certainly not a long range tool so no need for a high magnification (1-6x or more) optic. I could put on a: T-1, MRO, Metrolight reflex, Elcan Spector 1/4x, EoTech EXPS3.0 or one of those new Primary Arms reticle equipped 1.5X ACOGs.

Thanks in advance.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Appreciate some advice on an optic

Post by smustian »

What is your intended use for the weapon? Max yardage of shots?
BigHat

Post by BigHat »

Probably range use 99.9% of the time. Most shots at or inside 100 yds. Went SBR and suppressed though to have a faster handling compact weapon for self-defense too. Initially envisioned using it with subsonic rounds, suppressed for that role, with a few supersonic ammo mags should the need arise to take a longer shot. Understanding 100 yds tops out the subsonic, but a "self-defense" shot over that distance is very unlikely.
Have a very slight astigmatism that I can endure with red dots at CQB distances, but it is a bit irritating otherwise. I know they are light and fast and make sense on an SBR, but wondered what others were using.
batman4706
Silent But Deadly

Post by batman4706 »

I have an MRO on one of my SBRs, went hog hunting and it worked great, wide field of view, shots out to 100 yds with no problem. I really like it, I have Aimpoint, Eotech, Primary Arms & Holoson and the MRO is the best of the bunch for that type shooting.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

BigHat wrote:Elcan Spector 1/4x
Well, since budget isn't a concern...
Just kidding. :lol:

You just described the exact operating criteria for the RDS family of optics.
My personal preference is for either the Leupold Delta Point or Trijicon RMR with the chevron reticle.
The chevron is large enough for fast acquisition and since you use the top of the chevron as the POA, you do not obscure your target.

If you already have those other optics on hand, try them out at home.
Don't need to put any rounds through it, just mount and see what feels natural.

If you are strictly going for the CDI factor, and since you are running a KAC, the T-1 is the only choice.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

If your considering a 1-6. look at the Burris RT-6. Glass is very close to my XTR II 4-20. Good price too.
Tom12.7
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tom12.7 »

For most of mine in this barrel length range, I ended up with T-1s, T-2s, and EoTech varieties. Some with possible magnifiers, 3X/ 4X/ 6X, depending on what I'm doing. I've tried out some other RDS, but fell back to what I had listed. I've tried out many magnified optics on these, some for tests and some for use, but those possible uses are more specific and not general use.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I put a Bushnell Banner 1.5-6x on mine.

At the distances that I shoot and hunt, it's perfect for that.

And only costed ~$70 or so.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
Gunzer

Post by Gunzer »

I'm running a Leupold Patrollman 1.5 x 4 with their SPR retical and the motion activated 'fire dot' in the center. While not a true 1 power, it's lowest magnification still allows for two eyes open CQB type operation. I like it also for its mildot reticle and 1/10th mill dot turrets.

Using the reticle and a ballistics table for my custom hunting load, I can range targets while zeroed at 50 yards. I've only practiced with it so far but I intend to take deer no further than 80 to 100 yds. Pretty clear glass too.

8" barrel 1-7 twist
Omega suppressor
194 gr Lehigh defense extreme expansion projectiles
endoguy

Post by endoguy »

While not a Tier 1 sight (upper tier 2), for the 100-yard max that you described you might look at the Holosun HS510C Open Reflex Sight. Right about $300.00 it has 50,000-hour battery life, Auto on/off, solar panel, 65MOA with a 2MOA dot with multiple reticle options, and QD mount.

A friend of mine has a similar 300BLK and purchased one, it is a very nice crisp reticle optic (even with astigmatism). I am really considering one for my Franken-gun 11.5 inched 300blk as well after seeing and playing with his. It has features the EOTECH lacks.