Remington 700 Accuracy of First Round Through a Suppressor

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

jdsande3

Remington 700 Accuracy of First Round Through a Suppressor

Post by jdsande3 »

I recently bought a new Rem. 700 with the 16.5" barrel and I'm using a Dakota Arms Varminter 3.0 suppressor. I have been shooting factory subsonic ammo (Gorilla with 220 gr. sierra match kings) and noticed that every first round I fire shoots approx. 2" high at 100 yards. All other shots following the first are sub-moa. If I leave the bolt open for a few minutes after the first round, the next round will shoot the same 2" high. I validated this by firing time spaced intervals of 5 minutes.

Has anyone experienced this or is this a known phenomena? The only think I can think is the time delay with the bolt open allows the gas in the supressor to escape and oxygen to replace it. Could this extra oxygen allow a more efficient burn of the powder? Seems very strange it is only the first round of consecutively shot rounds (3-5). Like I said, if I wait with the bolt open between rounds they all shoot high and are all sub-moa. Maybe this only deals with the type of powder Gorilla is using (I need to use a chronograph and see if the first round has a higher velocity). Other than this strange issue, the gun shoots great. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Remington 700 Accuracy of First Round Through a Suppressor

Post by dellet »

jdsande3 wrote:I recently bought a new Rem. 700 with the 16.5" barrel and I'm using a Dakota Arms Varminter 3.0 suppressor. I have been shooting factory subsonic ammo (Gorilla with 220 gr. sierra match kings) and noticed that every first round I fire shoots approx. 2" high at 100 yards. All other shots following the first are sub-moa. If I leave the bolt open for a few minutes after the first round, the next round will shoot the same 2" high. I validated this by firing time spaced intervals of 5 minutes.

Has anyone experienced this or is this a known phenomena? The only think I can think is the time delay with the bolt open allows the gas in the supressor to escape and oxygen to replace it. Could this extra oxygen allow a more efficient burn of the powder? Seems very strange it is only the first round of consecutively shot rounds (3-5). Like I said, if I wait with the bolt open between rounds they all shoot high and are all sub-moa. Maybe this only deals with the type of powder Gorilla is using (I need to use a chronograph and see if the first round has a higher velocity). Other than this strange issue, the gun shoots great. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
And confirm by shooting without it.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Badfinger
Silent But Deadly

Post by Badfinger »

How does it do on the first shot without the suppressor? If it's the same you can't really do anything about it but if it shoots closer to POA then you may have an alignment problem. Maybe the threads on the barrel can be recut an trued up.
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

I have a 700 remington aac blackout and do not have the issue your talking about . I also only shoot my own reloads. to be honest I really dont see much change in point of impact between using the can or not . I do believe I would chrony the loads to see what the velocity spread is .