Optic recommendation for sbr with supressor

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

kevin917z

Optic recommendation for sbr with supressor

Post by kevin917z »

Hello, just got my approved form 1 back. Now time to build. I have an 8.5 inch 1:7 twist blackout barrel with adjustable gas block and a supressor with quick detach mount. I am only going to be shooting subsonic 220 gr ammo suppressed- yes all the time only 220gr subsonic supressed

Can anyone recommend a compact optic? I don't think there is any point in shooting over 250-300 yards as the bullet will fall like a rock. I am looking for something with multiple aim points on the reticle to help shooting at different ranges.

On my 16 inch barrel rifle I know my hold points on my mildot fixed power scope shooting subsonic 220 gr ammo from 50-200 yards. Would be nice to do something with the sbr along the same lines. I am not the biggest fan of the scopes that have a smaller front objective than the back, I just think they look goofy- the ones all the 3 gun people use.

I was looking at the primary arms 300 blackout prism and vortex 3x prism but don't know that these would be a very good choice? Also looking at the Nikon p223 3x scope as its smallish and I could use the target turrets. It would be a bit slow to be adjusting the turrets up and down though and a chance they could move when I don't want them to. I would like to stay compact but be able to shoot targets at multiple ranges quickly with the suppressed 220 gr subsonic ammo. I think all scopes in 300 blackout are calibrated to a 16 in barrel? My 8.5 may be off significantly? Looking forward to building and chringraphing to get a ballistic table put together.

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

Maybe I should build another sbr in 10.5 inch blackout caliber? I was told 8.5 was a poor choice
MisterHelix
Silent Operator

Re: Optic recommendation for sbr with supressor

Post by MisterHelix »

ACOGs are compact, robust, and not too heavy. Most have reticle sub tensions. They won't match your ballistics, but you can find your own dope for the BDC.

Nothing wrong with the 8" barrel if you're mostly shooting subs.
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

3.5x or 4x ACOG

I've used them on semi and full auto rifles. Perfect for a SBR
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
kevin917z

Post by kevin917z »

That was my first thought but I can't find a good deal on one, everyone is high on acogs. I have one I bought from a reputable dealer new in box for my m4 carbine only 955 dollars! The one I have is the army version and has super short eye relief so I wouldn't use it for a quick shooting sbr.
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

There aren't always deals. These are optics that you won't be disappointed paying the full street price to buy. I'd rather save money on ammunition which is a consumable resource and buy quality parts that work every time.
There are too many people that would rather buy made in China, Taiwan, Phillipines Garbage because it's cheap.
If the rifle is only a range toy then put toy optics on it. Primary Arms, Bushnell, Vortex, BSA, Holosun and the like
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
SwampDog_13
Silent But Deadly

Post by SwampDog_13 »

I was able to get my ta31 for around $500.00 under msrp, brand new. At that point I couldn't pass it up. A lot of times if you chat with the people over at optics planet and tell them your looking for the best possible deal they will give you and they'll make it happen. They're kinda like car salesman :lol:
tedscissors
Silent But Deadly

Post by tedscissors »

A-Game wrote:If the rifle is only a range toy then put toy optics on it. Primary Arms, Bushnell, Vortex, BSA, Holosun and the like
A-Game - I would like to use this statement when I encounter the numerous "john wick - bob lee swagger tier one operator" wannabes that I encounter at the local shooting ranges.....the folks with loads of "cool" tactical gear that do not follow the basic safety practices, just want to look like the guys in the movies....without any training......

No disrespect directed toward anyone on this forum -- I absolutely understand the need for lower cost options, we all have to work within our budgets.

rant off

ted
kevin917z

Post by kevin917z »

So since the reticle won't match my drop in a short barrel, do you see any benefit in a blackout specific acog? Or just any acog that is a good price? I need to look at the ones other ones too to find the best eye relief for quick shooting
tfbit
Silent But Deadly

Post by tfbit »

With an app like Strelok you can always figure out a reticle.
kevin917z wrote:So since the reticle won't match my drop in a short barrel, do you see any benefit in a blackout specific acog? Or just any acog that is a good price? I need to look at the ones other ones too to find the best eye relief for quick shooting
No matter what you read on the intarweb CCI450s and CCI41s ARE NOT BALLISTICALLY IDENTICAL with H110! I'm also not a intarweb lawyer so I don't argue with anyone who is.
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

kevin917z wrote:So since the reticle won't match my drop in a short barrel, do you see any benefit in a blackout specific acog? Or just any acog that is a good price? I need to look at the ones other ones too to find the best eye relief for quick shooting
Trijicon gives you what you need to know in order to adjust to specific loads or barrel length.

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/communit ... D=news_135