220 grain berrys with CFE Black help

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Nikdanja

220 grain berrys with CFE Black help

Post by Nikdanja »

I just recently replaced my 8”xproducts barrel with another 8” Wilson combat barrel because of poor threading. Both are 1/7 twist.

On the old barrel I was getting terrible accuracy and SD was +/- 60ish with cfe black.

This new Wilson barrel shrunk those groups to acceptable in my book at 50 yards but the bullets were not fully stabilizing. The holes were oblong and not a clean hole. So I got my hands on some 208g bullets and the groups were the same but the bullet holes were clean.

I guess the 220g bullet is to heavy? I ordered some berrys 200g bullets to see if that will fix the issue but I was kinda disappointed that the barrel wasn’t stabilizing the bullet.

My load for the 220 bullet is:
11 grains of CFE black
2.190 OAL
Average velocity is 965ish

PS. I’ve had such a hard time making CFE black meeter well. Not sure what’s going on with that but I’ve heard that if you seat lower, it will even out but even today I was still +/- 65ish for my SD. Why does this powder suck so much?

Any help would be great, thanks!
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: 220 grain berrys with CFE Black help

Post by dellet »

This might give you some insights, but sounds like you already figured out the problem.
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=100097&hilit=CFE+ ... t+thoughts

The more you compress it, the better it works. Just depends on if the bullet length and profile will allow that. Add a grainof powder and recheck velocity.

Max load for pressure will be 17-18 grains depending on the bullet, you won’t get anywhere near that for a sub load.

No reason for the Berry’s to be unstable, unless they are not sealing the gasses barrel, not uncommon with an extremely low pressure powder like CFE.

Good luck.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Fats429

Re: 220 grain berrys with CFE Black help

Post by Fats429 »

I would treat yourself to a box of SMK 220s #2240, your charge you're using now is with in the published limits of sierra data. duplicate the test with SMKs and come back with the results. Ive have always had great results with the berry's 220s from 6 to 16 inch barrels, its the real reason I can afford to shoot 300 subs LOL. Your C.O.A.L is a little short for my taste but i don't know where your lands start .

If this rifle cant stabilize 220g SMKs it may be time to walk away from that bullet wight