Any recommendations for the big brother .308

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators:gds, bakerjw, renegade

JBMauser
Silent Operator
Any recommendations for the big brother .308

Post by JBMauser » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:08 pm

A friend asked me for a recommendation of brand etc for a .308 AR. He likes heavy barrel rifles as it will sit on a bench. He is wheel chair bound. Does not need fancy toys attached. Any recommendation on brand etc. I built my own AR collection with parts so I can't help him.

BulletFlight for Android
ReadyAimDuck
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Any recommendations for the big brother .308

Post by ReadyAimDuck » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:55 am

I've heard all good things about the S&W M&P10. That is what I would buy based on what I hear second hand for best bang for the buck. I have no direct experience though. I've also heard the Palmetto's are a great budget buy, though possibly lesser quality parts than some of the higher end rifles.

Blowout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blowout » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:10 pm

I have a Def10. It has feed and functioned well from the beginning and I've only fed it my reloads.

It's a light rifle for a 308, but not much recoil. If recoil was an issue for your friend, he could always put a brake on it.
300Blk 8.5" pistol with 80% lower

noname
Silent Operator

Post by noname » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:15 pm

I have a Rock River AR in 308. Accurate rifle but heavy compared to 5.56. For a lugging through the woods with a scope and legal in NC suppressor you need to have flat ground. Maybe eastern NC would be OK but not western NC where I live. Being young would help which I am not.
Previously known as hardcase. Moved lost internet connection for 1+ years.

dpete
Silent But Deadly

Post by dpete » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:35 pm

For THE MOST accurate info on any make/model of 308AR get over to the 308AR forum. No bullsh*t and solid info. There is no such thing as milspec in the 308 AR world and manufacturers can make any part any size they want out of any material they want and claim its proper for these bigger cousins.
S&W M&P 10 is chock full of proprietary parts that make any changes to the factory rifle difficult.
Palmetto's 308 ARs generally need a large amount of buyer modifications and part replacing to get to properly function with any ammo despite Palmetto's glowing claims.