New to re-loading - fist batch too hot?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Re: New to re-loading - fist batch too hot?

Post by golfindia »

Bspurr13 wrote:I def came to the right place! Thanks so much for the replies - all of you (even the first 2 lol)
Tough crowd?

It's a tough world.

California may be a PC eutopia with "trigger words" and "safe spaces" but those days should soon be over.

There's no reason people that do stupid stuff should be coddled. I don't want them next to me when I'm at the range. I've seen too many blood puddles in the last 5 years.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Bspurr13 wrote:Hello! New guy here in desperate need of advice from experienced and knowledgeable re-loaders.

OK, I've been shooting my whole life; Been building ARs for years; But I am brand-new to the world of re-loading. I'm really excited, especially since I just built a 300 AAC/BO (16' with a carbine gas system) and am in the process of building a 300 pistol.

I just loaded a batch of ammo - my first ever. I have a reasonable attention to detail, and take my time to do things correctly. But I think, due to my inexperience, mixed with some inaccurate load data, I worked up some very hot loads.

I could only find IMR 4227 - powder is hard to find around here (Kalifornia).

I got my load data from the IMR (Hodgdon) site.

Bullet: Hornady 165 gr SST - 16 grains of 4227 - seated to the groove (first mistake - I know) with an over-all length of 2.15 (Max COL 2.26)

The powder weight was right in the middle of the range given on the IMR site - but after looking around (and joining Loaddata.com) it seems about 2 grains high. I'm worried with the heavy charge, and the bullet too deep, it's gonna be too hot. BUT - I'm so new, I don't know, what I don't know.

Please, give me your opinions. Should I just pull all the bullets and start over? Or will they be safe to shoot a few and look for high pressure signs?

Thanks - Brett
Welcome Brett!

I'm late to this party. :oops: But you have gotten some straight info. Please take to heart.

Read the Manuel and keep asking questions! EVERYONE started NOT KNOWING. Assumptions can be painful and expensive with reloading. :) You did learn its not a cash savings, but its a VAST improvement in you overall as a shooter.

Good luck,
CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
TreeTopFlier
Silent But Deadly

Post by TreeTopFlier »

Hi Brett, welcome to our little community.

You have already learned one of the important things about reloading. Be skeptical and whenever possible, cross check as much load data as you can to make sure its legit. As far as Im concerned that includes printed reliable sources too.

Dellet mentioned the importance of seating depth and its effect on pressure. If you have the Hornady 9th edition, you can see that for the 150 gr group and then the 165 grainers, each group has the same oal (round nose included) and loads. This, given what we know, is not possible so at least on some level Hornady phoned it in. As good as they are, still, they probably used data for the longest version and applied to all. I bring this up just to show how important it is to develop good understanding of the process so we can spot irregularities.

A couple of things I didn't see mentioned.

Blackout supersonic powders are fast burners mostly used in big bore pistol type cartridges. So when working up loads use smaller increments than you would with rifle powder. I use .2 gr. these powders get sporty really fast.

You're going to want to have a chrono so you can see whats going on with your load development.

Pay attention to your brass. The pressure curve is steep with blackout so signs of pressure will show up quick if something is off.

good luck, TTF
I build the #TTFPowderStand for the Lee Turret Press

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreeTopFlier
Bspurr13

Post by Bspurr13 »

@ golfindia --- Yeah, you're correct - it's a tough world.

As far as seeing "blood puddles" - I've been a Life-Flight Paramedic for 17 years, in one of the busiest areas in the world; worked the ground for several before that. So, Ive seen a few "blood puddles" myself.

Yes, I made an error, as a newbie - maybe even a "stupid" one. But I caught it before I went to the range, next to you. Maybe someday I'll be as cool as you, and be perfect and error free.

Anyway - To all of you that posted thoughtful and helpful replies - you guys are awesome and have been very helpful.

Thank you!

Brett
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

TMD wrote:I suggest you spend a little more time actually reading your reloading manuals instead of just picking a charge weight and plopping a bullet on top.
When I did this at the very beginning of the thread it wasn't meant to be an asshole even though it came across that way. There's actually some very useful information in most reloading manuals.
Bspurr13

Post by Bspurr13 »

@ TMD - no need to explain - you're absolutely right, I should have spent more time reading than reloading. But I'm one of those guys that needs to get my hands on stuff, as I'm learning. Luckily, I'm also cautious - and continuned reading, knowing this wasn't something to take lightly, before I started shooting. So I caught my F#€£ up (actually, my series of them). I've learned a bunch from it - thanks to every one of you guys.

I may be from CA - but I'm not a special little snowflake, who loves being offended. I do have a few "trigger words" though.

High capacity magazines - i.e. Standard AR magazines.
Assault weapons
Blah blah blah - anything the liberal MFs in this state, and several others have said to "infringe" on our rights, as law abiding citizens, while ignoring the real problems of crime and criminals.

Time to move!!! Really!
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

Using 4227 just load dummies that chamber and feed OK, see where the base sits and fill to there with powder. Weigh the powder. Prob. 15 gr. Drop down 1/2 gr. My Amaxes 168 gr run 15 gr.
Rooter pig
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Rooter pig »

Maybe you could find a mentor in Ca?
Nic56
Silent But Deadly

Post by Nic56 »

Bspurr13 wrote:With that bullet, and a COL of 2.26, the powder range is 11.8 - 14.2 - sound right to everyone?
Brett,

Since I have a Hornady 9th Edition reloading manual, I looked up the specs for your components. It lists data for the 300 AAC Blackout and 300 Whisper together. Your data is the same, but the COL for the 165 grain SST bullet listed in the manual is 2.215". Specs below:

Hornady 9th Edition Reloading manual for 165 grain SST w/IMR 4227 (300 Whisper/300 AAC Blackout)
COL: 2.215 (That is the COL recommendation for all the Hornady 165-168 grain bullets in the manual)
Min charge: 11.8
Max charge: 14.2

If you reference several published sources for load data, you will find the data often varies quite a bit. Some manuals are very conservative on their max charge recommendations. Many bullet manufacturers and powder companies provide free data that can be accessed online. IMR/Hodgon provides free reloading data:

http://imrpowder.com/

Have fun and be safe.
300BLK AR-15 with 10.5" Noveske barrel (1:7 pistol length gas)

300BLK 16" AAC Handi Rifle (1:7 twist)

300BLK 16" AR-15 with 16" PSA FN barrel upper (1:8 pistol length gas)
taymag
Silent Operator

Post by taymag »

I don't like responding without reading everything but I glanced over it and for anyone reading this post ill add...

I don't know how many rounds you loaded but if you load the "wrong" ones don't pull them (unless you figured out they are completely wrong), you may end up finding out thats the perfect load. Once you work up and decide they are wrong then pull them.

Second, I find that ordering 4-8# of the powder you "want" rather than settling on what you found locally is worth it. Half the time the hazmat fee offsets the local price markup and you will have a powder that is actually "better" (better being subjective, but yes I find there to be better powders).

Third, if you cant find load data in manuals, (I usually don't say this to anyone new cause you NEED to read the manuals and NEED to buy them) don't forget all powder manufacturers have websites with load data. Why manuals don't have some of the most popular loads is beyond me, they have to be getting paid to put some in and leave some out, I can't imagine leaving some of the "best" loads out is by accident. Most of my favorite loads are not in manuals, but on the companies website

ETA.. Get a chrono. No idea why some people insist on not needing one. Spending all this money and just guessing on where you stand is ridiculous. Most people claim they don't have land do shoot on for it, but don't realize their outdoor range will let them setup one up when the range is cold.