Ultimate 300BLK bug out ammo

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Chicahominy

Re: Ultimate 300BLK bug out ammo

Post by Chicahominy »

BlogSarge wrote:
The gel tests I've seen with the Hornady GMX look good. I've been following the GMX introductions as Hornady comes out with them. Both the 223/5.56 and 300blk seem comparable to the Barnes offerings. I wouldn't feel unprepared with the GMX.
They seem to be less expensive as well.
Chicahominy

Post by Chicahominy »

USCS wrote:Really guys? We're talking the apocalypse here! SHTF, TEOTWAWKI, wreck and ruin......
And no one has suggested that great green tipped zombie killer, the Hornady Z-Max? What's wrong with you people?
Weren't the Z-max designed to explode/fragment so as to take out varmints? Seems the Tac-tx and GMX with retention would
be better against a "black bear" encounter.
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

My thinking for a SHTF situation is I would want a round that penetrates and still expands. With the 110gr tac-tx it expands like no other but if you had to shoot through some kind of a barrier/cover I am not sure if it would stay together? I have not done any kind of testing to support that, just looking at how it expands and guessing it would lose a fair amount of its jacket/weight when shooting through a barrier of some type. If it was some type of apocalyptic every man for themselves type environment you probably wouldn't be worried about damage to the surrounding area as you would with a current times self defense scenario.

With that said and saying I had to take a 300blkout rifle I would choose something like 125gr tnt as it will penetrate through stuff and expands out past 100yds(tested out to 150). I have shot through soft body armor, wood and other common materials with the bullet being caught in water and it retained most of its weight and expanded decently.

Another bullet would be a heavy subsonic that doesn't really need to expand. In a SHTF environment I would want to be as quiet as possible and avoid contact with anyone and everyone. Maybe some heavy subs would help you do what you needed to and escape the area without anyone getting a good location of you. And most people when they are shot probably would be out of the fight regardless the damage the bullet actually did(fmj vs. expanding). It takes a special person to keep advancing toward someone who just shot them.
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
tfbit
Silent But Deadly

Post by tfbit »

I think this test emulates some FBI "Barrier Blind" test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mXa5AiT0r4

And a more real world test from TWANGnBANG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adaEF5NJ_iI
steven11b wrote:My thinking for a SHTF situation is I would want a round that penetrates and still expands. With the 110gr tac-tx it expands like no other but if you had to shoot through some kind of a barrier/cover I am not sure if it would stay together? I have not done any kind of testing to support that, just looking at how it expands and guessing it would lose a fair amount of its jacket/weight when shooting through a barrier of some type. If it was some type of apocalyptic every man for themselves type environment you probably wouldn't be worried about damage to the surrounding area as you would with a current times self defense scenario.

With that said and saying I had to take a 300blkout rifle I would choose something like 125gr tnt as it will penetrate through stuff and expands out past 100yds(tested out to 150). I have shot through soft body armor, wood and other common materials with the bullet being caught in water and it retained most of its weight and expanded decently.

Another bullet would be a heavy subsonic that doesn't really need to expand. In a SHTF environment I would want to be as quiet as possible and avoid contact with anyone and everyone. Maybe some heavy subs would help you do what you needed to and escape the area without anyone getting a good location of you. And most people when they are shot probably would be out of the fight regardless the damage the bullet actually did(fmj vs. expanding). It takes a special person to keep advancing toward someone who just shot them.
No matter what you read on the intarweb CCI450s and CCI41s ARE NOT BALLISTICALLY IDENTICAL with H110! I'm also not a intarweb lawyer so I don't argue with anyone who is.
Alphawolf082
Silent But Deadly

Post by Alphawolf082 »

steven11b wrote:My thinking for a SHTF situation is I would want a round that penetrates and still expands. With the 110gr tac-tx it expands like no other but if you had to shoot through some kind of a barrier/cover I am not sure if it would stay together? I have not done any kind of testing to support that, just looking at how it expands and guessing it would lose a fair amount of its jacket/weight when shooting through a barrier of some type. If it was some type of apocalyptic every man for themselves type environment you probably wouldn't be worried about damage to the surrounding area as you would with a current times self defense scenario.
The black tip was designed for the military to be 'barrier blind.' Dig around but I think R. Silvers addresses that in the FAQ. I'd link it but I just got off nightshift and I dont want to sit my beer down that long. :mrgreen:
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

USCS wrote:Really guys? We're talking the apocalypse here! SHTF, TEOTWAWKI, wreck and ruin......
And no one has suggested that great green tipped zombie killer, the Hornady Z-Max? What's wrong with you people?
Just speaking form a cost stand point... this would likely be my choice altho they dont shoot best. They are darn cheap! I picked up three boxes of 500 for 79$ ea last summer!

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

...FWIW, at one point in time there was a document available here on the forum (or a link to it) by "Brass Fetcher" that contained ballistic gel, windshield and car door testing info for various 110-125 gn bullets. Some "google-fu" might locate a copy for any interested.
Weldorone

Post by Weldorone »

I have 1000 rounds of 125 SST Loaded just for this situation. I shoot 100 a month to keep them rotated and reload at the 500 round level. In all 3 of my rifles this round performs superior to the other bullets I have tried.
Guest762
Silent But Deadly

Post by Guest762 »

ONE subsonic round and a silencer so hopefully you can take someone's 308 and ammo. As long as your wishing in one hand,hope he's carrying a scar.
kassenz

Post by kassenz »

I have handload'ed up my dream SHTF scenario 300blk rounds, and tried a few, and they seem to work

They are Lake City brass cut, Win small rifle primers, 17.5gr +P over pressure, and mil surplus korean war era iron core black-tip bullets.

Lots of noise and muzzle flash, but I don't think they would disable a vehicle or offer much more penetration over the Hornady all copper round.