Anyone have a sig MCX? Is it quieter at the ear than an ar15?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

RAINS
Silent But Deadly

Anyone have a sig MCX? Is it quieter at the ear than an ar15?

Post by RAINS »

Looking at the sig mcx 9inch 300blk as a replacement for my 8inch DI 300blk. I want better at the ear suppression(it will be run with a T-bac ultra-7), real folding stock and better durability. Dose anyone have info on what the MCX meters at the ear? My google-foo is weak. Any other info would help. Real MCX info is hard to find.
I'd love to grab a HK53 clone in 300blk but 4k+ is too much. Some day maybe.

R
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Re: Anyone have a sig MCX? Is it quieter at the ear than an ar15?

Post by A-Game »

You won't have a buffer spring sproinging in your ear on the MCX. That may be the only reason why it seems quieter unless it's action cycling is a decibel or two quieter than an AR15 which averages 112 decibels or so.
Gas system is adjustable. Short stroke gas system with auto regulating valve (newer models may have an adjustment knob for suppressed fire)
I like that I can use my Geiselle triggers in the MCX.
I have seen, in a video, one instance of the springs breaking in the bolt assembly which made the weapon dead in the water. It was a 5.56 with a few thousand rounds through it. I don't know what caused it. It's a new weapon system and besides that I haven't seen someone pick one up and say it's a POS.
It was designed to run with Sigs Silencers which is why it has a large diameter handguard. It is compatible with Sig's 13" handguard to recess a suppressor.

The MCX was used in the Orlando mass shooting. Just an interesting fact, nothing more. It just isn't widely known.
I'll be honest. I'd like one to try out and see if it is worth it over a well built AR15.

I have seen them at gun shows for 1500.00 in Phoenix. On the high end 1800.00 You might have to pay to play with this one until Sig can keep up with production demand.

Regarding HK53 clones...if you buy a Century Arms product just know that you will be spending money to have it repaired that usually requires welding if the previous owner hasn't done it already. T. Mark Graham AKA Gunplumber is considered by many in the industry to be one of the foremost experts, on HK and clones, in the country. Just Google his name or Gunplumber and HK53 clones to find what you may not have before.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
rpk47
Silent But Deadly

Post by rpk47 »

I have shot one before comparing it side by side with an 8" AR in 300blk. It was near impossible to tell any differance in sound using a silencerco omega. Maybe a slight edge to the sig (the AR had a jp silent capture spring). The biggest thing I noticed was the AR was by far more comfortable than the sig with folding stock. Also gas in the face was negligible differance if you popped off 3 or more rounds quickly, maybe slight edge to the sig with slow fire.

All in all I would say the folding stock will be your determining factor, sig is designed ground up for that and its done well. Other things are hardly noticable when compaired to a nicely built AR in the same price range as the sig.

Also I should note that the ammo used was handloads loaded for match barrel, short col. I have no idea how picky the sig is on ammo.
RAINS
Silent But Deadly

Post by RAINS »

Thanks for the good info guys!
I was hopeful that sig had cleaned up their QC from when I bought my 556sbr a few years back. I am already aware of the MPX gen 1 issue of sig fudging caliber conversion kits. Nope not with gen 1 you need to buy a gen 2 upper to swap calibers. That's not a cool thing to do to people.
Still in my mind sig has some great stuff. THEN, I found the video where the MCX springs failed completely under light use and mild weather/ammo. Not a good sign. At this point I still had a little hope left.

Then I went and looked at a 5.56xi in 7.62x39 Russian. It can convert to 5.56 and also 300blk. Sounds great to me! "I WAS ALL SET TO BUY ONE!" Except it turns out sig never released the caliber conversion kits. Not to mention a couple places online are saying sig is phasing out the 5.56 line. Plus the reviews of the 556 in 7.62x39 are very bad. Uggg....Well I tried.
Looks like I am going to avoid buying anything sig for another 5 years! Bummer...

I get the feeling my ar will soon get a law folding adapter. Then I'll be calling it good for now.

I might just go "rogue" and turn a Zenith Z43p into hk33k SBR clone. I don't like 5.56 but darn it I'm just not happy with the current 300blk short barrel options.

R