Recessed suppressor/silencer SBR regrets

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

MeanCarbine

Recessed suppressor/silencer SBR regrets

Post by MeanCarbine »

Did anyone here recess their can under the handguard and later wish you hadn't?

I'm considering this for my 8"/Omega build. Will be shooting mostly subs.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Recessed suppressor/silencer SBR regrets

Post by dellet »

It's only a problem if you ever want to shoot without the suppressor attached. Then you need to be real careful where you place your hand and not be too worried about what the hand guard might look like after a few blasts.

Tucked it under, no regrets.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

If the thread protector end of the Omega has ANY chance of unscrewing from the tube, Murphy's Law says it will and then you have to remove your hand guard to remove the suppressor. Looks better inside the hand guard but.......
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

Not the gun you would want to test a rounds stability.

But it does "look" pretty.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

Got a Leonidas and a 15" tube, no problems, no regrets.

I do not reply to posts with horrific grammar errors.

I do not reply to posts concerning the case mouth dent.
RAINS
Silent But Deadly

Post by RAINS »

Well they look neat and keep you from grabbing the hot can. Otherwise useless though. I would not own such a gun. How the heck do you test loads to make sure they are stable in your barrel? YOU CAN'T! If you even try your rail is a goner. You need to test all loads hand or factory for stability. Otherwise eventually you will find a load that destroys your suppressor. Silencers aren't cheap or easy to get!

Good luck!

R
Walkers Bay
Silent But Deadly

Post by Walkers Bay »

RAINS wrote:Well they look neat and keep you from grabbing the hot can. Otherwise useless though. I would not own such a gun. How the heck do you test loads to make sure they are stable in your barrel? YOU CAN'T! If you even try your rail is a goner. You need to test all loads hand or factory for stability. Otherwise eventually you will find a load that destroys your suppressor. Silencers aren't cheap or easy to get!

Good luck!

R
I used mine to hammer in a stale at the range last week :lol:

Just a side question. How narrow is the suppressors your fitting under the rails and the bore diameter?
I've never worried about stability or baffle strike but I'm wondering if we run a larger bore diameter.....or maybe just don't care as much.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

You must have one of the older Yankee Hill Phantoms like I do. :lol:

Speaking as someone who had a baffle strike on a can (value of the can $700.00, tax stamp $200.00, paperwork $40.00) I do everything I can to prevent another baffle strike. Suppressors in New Zealand has a diffent value than the USA. The use of suppressors entails a learning curve quite different from most shooting sports. Take all the advice you can get.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I have built all of my suppressors, and am waiting on paperwork right now that I plan to dedicate one to the blackout.

It will be a hybrid integral/reflex of my design and not only will it fit mostly underneath of the handguards, but over the barrel all the way back to the gas block as well. There will only be maybe 2 or 3 inches protruding from the front of the rifle length handguard.

If you're worried about the rear endcap unscrewing from the tube when you're trying to remove it from the gun, simply put 2 or 3 setscrews through the tube and into the rear endcap portion. It's no longer a problem.

I know that many people would gasp at that idea and are afraid to look at silencers the wrong way, but problem solved in a few seconds with a drill, a minute or two with a little tap to thread it, and you're done.

If you don't like that idea, try some plumbers Teflon tape. If it doesn't get too hot and melt, which I suppose would be a possibility.
When those totally ignorant of firearms make laws, you end up with totally ignorant firearm laws.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

John A. wrote:I have built all of my suppressors, and am waiting on paperwork right now that I plan to dedicate one to the blackout.

It will be a hybrid integral/reflex of my design and not only will it fit mostly underneath of the handguards, but over the barrel all the way back to the gas block as well. There will only be maybe 2 or 3 inches protruding from the front of the rifle length handguard.

If you're worried about the rear endcap unscrewing from the tube when you're trying to remove it from the gun, simply put 2 or 3 setscrews through the tube and into the rear endcap portion. It's no longer a problem.

I know that many people would gasp at that idea and are afraid to look at silencers the wrong way, but problem solved in a few seconds with a drill, a minute or two with a little tap to thread it, and you're done.

If you don't like that idea, try some plumbers Teflon tape. If it doesn't get too hot and melt, which I suppose would be a possibility.
I use the Teflon tape on the barrel threads to adapter. Two wraps is enough in the same direction as the threads. Since I'm not into rapid fire, I've not noticed a melting issue.

I'd worry about the legality of drilling the rear end cap and set screws. Would this be legal for the average Joe?