barrel length for sbr

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

A Boy Named Sue
Senior Silent Operator

Re: barrel length for sbr

Post by A Boy Named Sue »

So, if you're filing individually and not using a trust, do you still need to engrave your lower?
The time calls for dark men to do dark things.
Do not be afraid to lead them to it.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

A Boy Named Sue wrote:So, if you're filing individually and not using a trust, do you still need to engrave your lower?
Yes. Any SBR lower has to be engraved.
trabikoenig
Silent Operator

Post by trabikoenig »

A Boy Named Sue wrote:So, if you're filing individually and not using a trust, do you still need to engrave your lower?
smustian is completely correct. To add clarification you would engrave with the name you put on the paper work with city and state. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
We believe that all men are justified in defending themselves ... from the unlawful assaults and encroachments of all persons in times of exigency - D&C 134:11
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-g ... n-overview

https://atf-eregs.18f.gov/479-102/03-1657#479-102-a-2

Does this apply to SBR or firearms in general?
I Typed up my form 1 with 26" as the overall length. You can be longer than what is on your paperwork.
I registered my lower per the steps in the application process. If you are shorter than what is on your application then you may be in violation of the NFA and be in danger of facing the legal ramifications
If anything I wrote is incorrect I will gladly edit out the mistake

This is NOT legal advice!

The idea of engraving a barrel instead of a receiver is that it gives you the option to unregister the lower receiver as a SBR. This is helpful if you were wanting to ditch the AR platform and sell this receiver.

I currently work with a class three dealer/manufacturer and this was his experience with it when I asked him about it.

Edit: considering that it has to be a visible engraving you are out of luck for engraving the barrel of an AR unless you had a 12.5-14.5" barrel and a 7" Handgaurd. It has to leave enough space to be unobstructed. For example: My trust requires 14 characters to be engraved (just for the the trust name)and that cannot be done on the unobstructed visible portion of the barrel on an AR, for the 9" barrel.. A bolt gun, or a Ruger 10/22 could have it in the barrel.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
Diablo

Post by Diablo »

The engraving does not have to include a serial number. The existing one is fine as long as it's not an 80% lower.
A Boy Named Sue
Senior Silent Operator

trabikoenig wrote:
smustian is completely correct. To add clarification you would engrave with the name you put on the paper work with city and state. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
So my name, city and state, and that's it? What happens if I move to another city? I know it's more of an issue if I move to another state, but unsure about cities within the same state.

I googled images of engraving examples people were doing, all were trust names (mostly blurred out for obvious reasons) but I don't remember seeing one with an individuals name. I imagine it's the same format though. There was a few on the front of the magwell, which may get in the way of if I ever wanna try out one of those magwell grips. But a couple were next to the trigger, inside the well upside down, name on one side and city/state on the other. I like that idea since it's kinda hidden but still visible enough to get by. Anybody use that way, or have any other ideas? I hate that I have to engrave my brand new rifle, so the less impact to the appearance I can get by with the better.
392heminut
Silent But Deadly

Post by 392heminut »

If you are registering the SBR as an individual then you have to engrave YOUR NAME, if registering the SBR under a trust then you engrave the name of the trust.

As for your question about the location (city and state) and moving later, the location engraved pertains to where the SBR was manufactured and has nothing to do with where the SBR might be located later on. The location engraved on the SBR does not tie it to that location after it is manufactured. (I hope that made sense!) :mrgreen:
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

392heminut wrote:If you are registering the SBR as an individual then you have to engrave YOUR NAME, if registering the SBR under a trust then you engrave the name of the trust.

As for your question about the location (city and state) and moving later, the location engraved pertains to where the SBR was manufactured and has nothing to do with where the SBR might be located later on. The location engraved on the SBR does not tie it to that location after it is manufactured. (I hope that made sense!) :mrgreen:
This is correct, though with the OP's attitude, I'm reluctant to give more info he/she needs to know.
A Boy Named Sue
Senior Silent Operator

392heminut wrote:If you are registering the SBR as an individual then you have to engrave YOUR NAME, if registering the SBR under a trust then you engrave the name of the trust.

Yea, made perfect sense. Appreciate the help, sir 8)
Crazy Carl
Silent Operator

Post by Crazy Carl »

This is how I had the engraving done. Think I paid $65 for the engraving, including the 3per logo & shipping.

Lieber stehend sterben, als kniend leben...