revolver in 300 aac

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

JakeLarry

revolver in 300 aac

Post by JakeLarry »

I am thinking on spending some cash and building a 300aac revolver out of an old Ruger Blackhawk...does anybody have any reasons why this won't work...I don't see any issues unless the tapered case poses some problem I'm not aware of...I just like the thought of having a single action revolver in 300 AAC, any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated
gds
Silent But Deadly

Re: revolver in 300 aac

Post by gds »

I don't know if it is possible, but I would think it would be an interesting project.

the cylinder would have to be such to be able to withstand the highest pressure.

Would have to have clips to hold the rounds, either that or use .357 magnum cases sized in a 300blk sizer.

1 in 7 twist barrel
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

Bottlenecks in revolvers have a lot of shoulder movement, I've got a 17HMR Taurus and the cases come out looking pretty weird. Taurus also did a .218 "raging" Bee at some point in the past. How long is the cylinder in the revolver you're thinking about? I know somebody worked out that a .223 S&W X frame could work, and of course a Taurus Raging Judge has about a 3.5" cylinder, along with the MR BFR that's chambered in 45-70. I say do it, and then video tape the muzzle flash for us.
I do not reply to posts with horrific grammar errors.

I do not reply to posts concerning the case mouth dent.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

I used to have a 30Carbine Blackhawk. Hell of a flame thrower.
JakeLarry

Post by JakeLarry »

My game plan was to use my hand loads with the flat tip...making the rounds oal about 1.9 and if necessary whisper rounds, but I haven't hashed all the details out...and yes the Blackhawk does have too short of a cylinder, I will have to start with another, would the Taurus handle the chamber pressure is my biggest question (just measured out the cylinder, and will not work)...I was just wanted to use the same bullet in a go to pistol And my go to rifle...and to show off of course BC nobody has one, I'll have to talk to my gunsmith and see what he thinks about the bottle neck...the only thing I know for sure is I don't wanna go off half cocked and have 5 grand + is in a pistol that's a paperweight
VENT625
Silent But Deadly

Post by VENT625 »

TMD wrote:I used to have a 30Carbine Blackhawk. Hell of a flame thrower.

Yes it is!! And accurate as hell!!I restored one last year.
"Trust me...I know what I'm doing."

excess650
Silent But Deadly

Post by excess650 »

Clips for extracting aren't necessary in a SA revolver, but the bottleneck case will cause the cylinder to lock tight at firing. IMO, really bad idea and waste of $$.
Black Rifles Matter
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

The Taurus is chambered in .454, so you'd have more than enough meat in the cylinder and strength in the frame. You'd also have about .75" jump in the throat to the rifling, and I have no idea if that's a big deal. It's also a massive and ungainly revolver, weighs 4.5#. The S&W X frame though, can be had in 3", 4", 6", and 8" or somewhere around those barrel lengths. COAL for the 500 mag is 2.300", so it'd be perfect for an AR length round, it's still heavy, but not Judge heavy, plus it's a S&W, not a Taurus. Max pressure for that round is 65K I think, and you'd have a lot more steel in the cylinder walls, so you'd never even stress the platform. Holy cow this could get expensive.
I do not reply to posts with horrific grammar errors.

I do not reply to posts concerning the case mouth dent.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

Another option for a SA would be the BFR, they make one chambered in .30-30. Get a blank cylinder and have a gunsmith cut it. If a .30-30 works in it the 300 shouldn't be a problem since it has a whole lot less taper and a smaller shoulder.
emmagee1917
Senior Silent Operator

Post by emmagee1917 »

No , in reality , the problem does still exist . What does change , however , is that you are dealing with the problem one cylinder hole at a time rather than six at once , so it becomes manageable .
Chris