V3.0 of my latest design, here are the changes

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

V3.0 of my latest design, here are the changes

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

In my quest to have the heaviest bullet for the 300 Blackout I am now at V3.0. I made some minor changes to V1.0 then realized I can make some even more drastic changes so I went straight to V3.0. These changes are based on the recommendations of some of those who have tested V1.0.

V3.0 will allow the bullet to be loaded with a minimum OAL of 2.13" all the way up to max OAL as well as beyond max OAL if you are not using an AR. V3.0 will also be heavier. I am guessing that V3.0 should be above 280 grains with pure lead and north of 270 grains using wheel weights. And the best part is that even though I have added weight and length to the bullet it will still remain stable in 8 twist or faster twist barrels. These should feed in an AR but you will still need to do the typical modifications to your magazine like with most other subsonic 300 Blackout loads. Hopefully a 300 Blackout specific magazine will hit the market before too much longer.

Here are some of the changes from V1.0 to V3.0
The transition from bearing surface to bore rider portion of the bullet has been changed. This will add weight and helps center the bullet in the bore/chamber.
The length of bearing surface itself has been changed. This will add weight and shorten the minimum OAL. This should also help with feeding.
The nose has a different radius on it. This adds weight and should help feeding in an AR.
The length of the bullet itself has been lengthened to add weight.
The meplat has been changed to make it easier to add a hollow point to the bullet.

V3.0 should also work with 308 Winchester but with subsonic loads a 10 twist, like most 308 Winchesters use, will not be stable at subsonic velocities. They will be 100% stable when loaded to typical 308 Winchester velocities though. When loaded to the bearing surface they are below max OAL so they should at least fit inside a magazine. If anyone loads 308 and want a few of the V3.0 to test let me know.

I am also debating on whether I want to develop a single shot only version. I believe I can get very, very close to a pure lead weight of 300 grains without the constraints of a box magazine. If I do I will design it around a powder that is typically used for single shot loads so I can maximize the bullet weight. I ran the numbers and at 300 grains it will remain stable in 8 twist barrels at subsonic velocities. So if enough people, including me, show enough interest I might start working on a single shot only bullet.

Another design I am serious considering is a THV style bullet. They have the best of all worlds, they feed well but also have a unique nose design that acts like a large meplat on the bullet. That is another one I have fantasized (yes I day dream about bullets) about for a while now. Here is what a THV bullet looks like and how it works.

I had no delusions in thinking I would get all this right the first time with V1.0. V3.0 is very, very close to the final dimensions and should work with

I am still on the hunt for a manufacturer. If I do not find one before Thanksgiving I will try to get things sorted out so those that are interested can at least purchase a mold. And just to reiterate I am not doing this for financial gain because I am not getting anything in return for any of this. I am just wanting to be able to shoot the heaviest bullet possible out of my 300 Blackout firearms.

This will be the heaviest 300 Blackout bullet before I am done.

And if you are wanting to try casting some of the V3.0 bullets please contact me. I should be ready to send it out by the end of September. Those involved in V1.0 will get first dibs on V3.0.

Thanks and I welcome all questions/comments.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: V3.0 of my latest design, here are the changes

Post by bangbangping »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:
I am also debating on whether I want to develop a single shot only version. I believe I can get very, very close to a pure lead weight of 300 grains without the constraints of a box magazine. If I do I will design it around a powder that is typically used for single shot loads so I can maximize the bullet weight. I ran the numbers and at 300 grains it will remain stable in 8 twist barrels at subsonic velocities. So if enough people, including me, show enough interest I might start working on a single shot only bullet.
Definitely interested. Absolutely.

I don't know much (anything) about making bullet molds, but assume there are standard block sizes. Do you know if it's possible to make an SG-type hollow point mold for a bullet this long? Would it require a custom mold block?
Dolomite_Supafly wrote: The length of bearing surface itself has been changed. This will add weight and shorten the minimum OAL.
I'm taking this to mean that you moved the transition point forward? Will that affect max OAL?

Would love to see a drawing.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

bangbangping wrote:
Dolomite_Supafly wrote:
Definitely interested. Absolutely.

I don't know much (anything) about making bullet molds, but assume there are standard block sizes. Do you know if it's possible to make an SG-type hollow point mold for a bullet this long? Would it require a custom mold block?
Dolomite_Supafly wrote: The length of bearing surface itself has been changed. This will add weight and shorten the minimum OAL.
I'm taking this to mean that you moved the transition point forward? Will that affect max OAL?

Would love to see a drawing.

The difference between minimum and max is .115" and the throat of a SAAMI chamber is .174 so if you have a chamber that is SAAMI spec you will have no problems getting to max magazine length. 2.24".

I will PM you a drawing. I am not going to release it publically.

I will start working on a single shot only bullet. I will probably just make it a flat .3" meplat with a small radius to help it into the chamber.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

What is the objective of the two types of bullets that you are designing? Besides being awesome and the heaviest 300 blackout bullet design? :mrgreen:

Quiet, penetrate hide and bone and tumble in soft tissue, target, ect.? I'm not a cast bullet guru.

Considering your designs are being mass produced these are cool posts.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Not massed produced but there are several bullet makers currently using one of my designs. I am noboby special and do not do this for gain. I do it in order to try to improve the gun community and especially the 300 Blackout community. This community is one of the last ones I am still hanging around in.

I want to say I have the heaviest cast bullet for the 300 Blackout. Also, at 1,000 fps they will have as much energy as a 357 magnum. Imagine those energy levels out of a gun that is quieter than a slingshot.

Sure wish I could find someone to make these.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Looks real interesting Dolomite.

Curious as to why you don't you think you could get a 300 grain version that would feed in an AR.

Does it just end up being too long in the nose?

Or are you losing too much case capacity?

As always your projects intrigue me, and someday you will probably make me take up casting. :shock:

I am sure you know this, but the biggest problem I see with trying to mass market a bullet like this is that I hear they closed the last lead smelter in the U.S. a couple years ago. You might be indirectly responsible for causing a lead shortage :lol:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

The constraints are the mold size now. I do not believe I can get to 300 AND have a nose profile that will feed with the current molds. I believe a single shot only bullet would get really close to 300 grains but there is no way a flat nosed wadcutter will feed in an AR, at least now without a significant amount of work to the AR. I have considered grinding out the lug between the feed ramps but after that I would not feel comfortable shooting full power loads. It is probably not an issue because a lot of 458 SOCOM and 50 Beowolf users do the same to help feeding.

I think I could get to 300 with a long enough mold. I bet I could get a 300 grain bullet that will feed if I could find a mold maker capable of making a bullet that is 1.5" long.

I talked to the lead smelter, I believe it is Deer Run or something like that, before they closed shop. They said it is just cheaper to process out of the US because of EPA regulations. I was trying to get a few people to go in on a ton of lead to cover our casting needs for a few years.

Lead is a very, very dangerous compound for the human body. It is even more dangerous to children as well as the unborn. I poisoned myself a few years ago and it was no fun so since then I treat all lead like it is a nice steamy pile of dog crap. I wear gloves, a mask as well as long sleeves and try to avoid touching it with my bare skin. And if I am processing wheel weights I wear a full tyvek suit as well. I am sure my neighbors have wondered what the hell I am doing when I am walking around like I am on the scene of Breaking Bad.

But the numbers say a 300 grain bullet that is 1.5" long will be stable in an 8 twist barrel. Now I have another goal/project and that just gave me yet another idea, I need to figure out the feasibility of it before I say anything but it could be something that could change casting as we know it.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote: And if I am processing wheel weights I wear a full tyvek suit as well. I am sure my neighbors have wondered what the hell I am doing when I am walking around like I am on the scene of Breaking Bad.
:lol: :lol:
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Rich22

Post by Rich22 »

PM Incoming
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

V3.0 is in my hands. Going to inspect and cast from it then it too will start making the rounds to my fellow subsonic shooters.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!