Replacement for EOTech 512

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

camdenmike

Replacement for EOTech 512

Post by camdenmike »

Waiting for the RMA on an EOTech 512 that I have mounted on a Stag 3HL. (Yeah, I'm a southpaw.)

I want to replace it with something in a similar price range and I want to stay with a rectangular optic. It just fits my eye better.

From what I've seen, the Leupold DeltaPoint and Trijicon RMR are probably priced above what I want to spend. If I could be persuaded they were head and shoulders above all the others I might could be tempted, but I'd much rather not spend $600-700.

So here are the red dots I've come up with:

* Burris FastFire III
* Vortex Razor, Viper or Venom
* SIG Romeo 1 or 3

I'm really surprised how affordable the SIG Optics products are. I really like them for the Auto ON/OFF feature, which none of the others have. But they haven't been out that long, so it's hard to get hard data on them. All you see are copies of the same damn press release from SIG Optics, which tells me nothing about how it works in the real world.

So...any thoughts about which way to go? I'd like to have a red dot that somebody makes a quick detach mount for. I have a GG&G QD mount on my EOTech and it's a real quality piece of gear. Too bad GG&G doesn't make them for any other red dots.

Thanks for any thoughts. Guess I should say Id prefer to stay in the $300-500 range including mount and I want to co-witness with the BUIS on the gun.
KingTiger

Re: Replacement for EOTech 512

Post by KingTiger »

I just put one of these on a friends AR & it has turned out pretty good. I like the reticle better than the EOTech since it's a solid circle & dot.

Holosun is the OEM for Primary Arms.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1419110394 ... rmvSB=true
Controlled Cacophony
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

camdenmike wrote:Waiting for the RMA on an EOTech 512 that I have mounted on a Stag 3HL. (Yeah, I'm a southpaw.)

I want to replace it with something in a similar price range and I want to stay with a rectangular optic. It just fits my eye better.

From what I've seen, the Leupold DeltaPoint and Trijicon RMR are probably priced above what I want to spend. If I could be persuaded they were head and shoulders above all the others I might could be tempted, but I'd much rather not spend $600-700.

So here are the red dots I've come up with:

* Burris FastFire III
* Vortex Razor, Viper or Venom
* SIG Romeo 1 or 3

I'm really surprised how affordable the SIG Optics products are. I really like them for the Auto ON/OFF feature, which none of the others have. But they haven't been out that long, so it's hard to get hard data on them. All you see are copies of the same damn press release from SIG Optics, which tells me nothing about how it works in the real world.

So...any thoughts about which way to go? I'd like to have a red dot that somebody makes a quick detach mount for. I have a GG&G QD mount on my EOTech and it's a real quality piece of gear. Too bad GG&G doesn't make them for any other red dots.

Thanks for any thoughts. Guess I should say Id prefer to stay in the $300-500 range including mount and I want to co-witness with the BUIS on the gun.
Another southpaw here. If you want to really grin, build yourself a LH SBR. :P
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

I think there's a brand called Mepro or something, they're related to FAB defense and Mako, but they've got a reasonably priced squarish optic that people seem to like.
I do not reply to posts with horrific grammar errors.

I do not reply to posts concerning the case mouth dent.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

Two things to consider in any of the above models: Battery on the bottom is a PITA. Set screws to lock adjustment are also a PITA. Never had good luck with any of them staying tight.

I know the Burris is a top battery, and has no set screws. I think one of the vortex models is the same.

No idea about the sigs. They are a little pricey compared to the rest of the field