Black bear

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

dh2
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Black bear

Post by dh2 »

My bear hunting around here is a bit different the area I can hunt is deer ,pig or bear what shows up is what gets shot, I have used a 45/70 for over 5 years it does the job, over kill I do believe, I think the 300 Blk. for deer I would have no issue , the bear if the shot was over 200yards I would hate to let a big one pass because I seem him down a logging road a felt under gunned, I would go some thing bigger than the 300 Blk
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Getting close enough would be the skillful part, not placing the shot. Most bears in NC are dogged, the main concern is of the safety of the dogs once the bear is shot treed. I have seen the results of a poor shot and dogs that were ripped up. Keep in mind these guys buy and trade hounds for hundreds, even thousands of dollars. In my area, bears are occasional.
I would do it a bit different.

Confirming I had a bear hanging about I would place a stand accordingly.

Keep the ultimate regimen of scent control.

Having picked a load ( I like gds and dellets suggestions ) practice with it inside lethal ranges.

Study bear anatomy. Note that the heart is tucked behind that big leg bone most times.

A slight oblique, quartering away would be my choice of shots.

And lastly, just to be a bit different, I would take a fawn in distress call. Not over using it, a few bleats every 20 minutes or so.

I believe on an average size bear for my region 200 - 400 lbs you would have a fair chance for success.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

I have plenty of guns big enough to take down a black bear , buffalo , elk , moose and maybe big foot , If a person has an issue with stopping a bear with a 45/70 , 450 bushmaster , 458 socom , or 50 bewulf then they need to quit hunting and I feel the same way with hogs for crying out loud I have killed hogs with a 30 carbine then had some bozo ring my bell blasting a 185 lb hog with a bar in 300 winmag . presonal experience with the outlaw state 225 grain sub-sonic bullet loaded at 1000 fps I have shot 2 deer straight head on and had complete penetration the full length of the deer with one exiting and breaking the back leg the bullet did fracture in the body but the base carried on the second I was shooting up a slight grade and the bullet penetrated low and come out the back breaking the hips I found fragments from the chest cavity all the way to the exit wound . I also made a quartering shot and the bullet broke a rib took out the top of the heart and lungs I found the base under the skin on the far shoulder . I would try garys idea . I have about 100 of the bullets on my bench its a bit expensive but I may give them a try in my remington 700 to see what max velocity I can obtain and the bullet not come apart .
RU Grendel
Silent Operator

Post by RU Grendel »

I don't want to be the "shot placement" guy, but it's probably the largest factor hunting bear. I've personally killed bear here in western VA with a Glock 23 and 21 (40 S&W and .45 ACP respectively). First one I had to make a quick choice to save a dog from being mauled, second to save myself from the same. Both times were close head shots.

In 25+ years of bear hunting, I've seen a lot of bears killed with a variety of calibers. After last season, I bought into the 300blk game and purchased a RARR specifically to carry in the woods for bear. Compact, lightweight, and seriously accurate with 110gr Barnes ammo. I have ZERO doubt in the capability of this cartridge to effectively and quickly take down black bear.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

I'll be a heretic and throw the 35 Whelen out there.
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

...this may give some valuable insight on what's possible.... :mrgreen:

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles ... mm-pistol/
widow

Post by widow »

I do not have experience hunting with the 300 blk yet but I do have a lot of experience hunting and doing it with less. One thing i figured out If you put something deadly into the vitals of a animal it only has one choose that is to die. Load up some bullets that will penetrate deep enough to get both lungs mushroom and do damage like one of the barns and it will be a dead bear. Widow
badguybuster
Silent But Deadly

Post by badguybuster »

I took a 240 lb blackie with the 130 grain TTSX. 16" barrel with a charge of Win 296

viewtopic.php?f=145&t=99485
Dyin aint much of a livin' boy
spinal tap
Silent Operator

Post by spinal tap »

Clearly, the best thing to do is just build a new rifle. My suggestion is to start with this and build around it until completion. Don't forget the big bore silencer.

https://www.kakindustry.com/lr-308-part ... ess-barrel