Vortex Viper PST 1-4x revisited

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

excess650
Silent But Deadly

Vortex Viper PST 1-4x revisited

Post by excess650 »

I was perusing the forum and found this old thread with the last post back in '14. viewtopic.php?f=147&t=86472

Prior to this past week, it seemed that EVERY VV PST 1-4x was priced at $499 or $479 depending upon whether it had capped turrets (less W&E range) or the target turrets. I had been looking and found some vendors on ebay had these listed "make offer". One of these was in my home state so I figured the sales tax would negate any savings....found another out of state and was surprised to have my offer accepted. I've since found the mil/mil version for as low as $420, so these are now being discounted :!:

My MOA version arrived yesterday, and I have since mounted and zeroed it. The glass is extremely clear (as it should be in this price range) and I like the reticle. The interrupeted donut with 2 MOA spaced hash marks could be a bit more coarse, bolder, but it works. Previous comments were that the illumination was not "daylight bright", but mine most definitely is.

After bore sighting to replicate where my existing scope was zeroed, I fired a few shots at 100 yards at a 100 yard target, dialed a few clicks W&E, and then proceeded to pound a 8" gong with my own cast loads. Satisfied that the zero was where it should be, I took aim at a gong at 300 yards. I held the 10 min hash at the top of the gong and was just low. I used the next hash (12 min) and struck. I had assumed it was one of the 8" gongs we normally use there, but found out it was a 6" and only 1/4" steel, so didn't fire any additional shots there.

I LIKE the fact that the scope is smaller and lighter than the Kaspa Zombie 1.5-6x that I replaced. Too, its much better glass that doesn't require refocusing when moving from 100-300 yards. The reticle is a little in the fine side, but the fact that it is graduated in MOA vs 5.56 spacing is a plus for me. 30 MOA of hash marks under the center dot gives quite a lot of instant elevation correction without dialing the elevation knob. 6x max magnification was nice, but the sharper glass with 4x will suffice.
Black Rifles Matter
tfbit
Silent But Deadly

Re: Vortex Viper PST 1-4x revisited

Post by tfbit »

Love my mil/mil! If I could only have one scope for SHTF I'd be torn between my Vortex 1-4 and the 4-16 FFP.
No matter what you read on the intarweb CCI450s and CCI41s ARE NOT BALLISTICALLY IDENTICAL with H110! I'm also not a intarweb lawyer so I don't argue with anyone who is.