How far can you shoot subs?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Guest762
Silent But Deadly

Re: How far can you shoot subs?

Post by Guest762 »

gds wrote:Truthfully, I have never fired my subs past 100yds, and then only once. This would be an interesting experiment. I may have to look around for a 300 yd range that won't charge me a fortune to shoot at. that is a problem of having your own range, as limited as it is. you don't want to pay someone to shoot. :mrgreen:

Ya it's a terrible problem. If I want to go out past 600 I'm going to have to build a elevated platform. :mrgreen:
Hunter338

Post by Hunter338 »

I am new to the 300 world but this sounds interesting. I have an upper on the way maybe I can get some loads worked up and my 200 yard backstop cleaned out in time. I have been shooting at only 100 yards and have neglected keeping the 200 yard section mowed.

You could always use Hunter class competition targets. They have a sighter target and then 5 targets for record. If anyone wants a pic of one I'll dig in my supplies and see if I still have any.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Well, apparently my rifle doesn't like those fancy store-bought bullets. I'm nearly half way through a box of Nosler CC 220's and can't get them to shoot as well as my cast bullets. The best I've done so far is one three shot group of 3/4" at 100. That one was with Lovex powder and the bullet seated just off the lands at BTO 1.708" (OAL ~2.3"). Everything else is 1 to 3+ inches, with a couple of wild fliers. This is with brass as perfect as I can get it, BR-4 primers, powder weighed to two decimal places, concentricity checked to within .002". hmmm...

I'll keep working on it, but better get there soon. I can't see spending another $50 on bullets just for certifiable to kick my ass. :lol:
Last edited by bangbangping on Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
68Guy
Silent But Deadly

Post by 68Guy »

bangbangping wrote:Well, apparently my rifle doesn't like those fancy store-bought bullets. I'm nearly half way through a box of Nosler CC 220's and can't get them to shoot as well as my cast bullets. The best I've done so far is one three shot group of 3/4" at 100. That one was with Lovex powder and the bullet seated just off the lands at BTO 1.92" (OAL ~2.3"). Everything else is 1 to 3+ inches, with a couple of wild fliers. This is with brass as perfect as I can get it, BR-4 primers, powder weighed to two decimal places, concentricity checked to within .002". hmmm...

I'll keep working on it, but better get there soon. I can't see spending another $50 on bullets just for certifiable to kick my ass. :lol:
I find pretty decent sub groups using the Hornady 208Gr A-Max bullets with A1680 powder. Nice suppressed load and typically shoots MOA at 100 yards but ONLY if I go through the effort to ensure my brass is sorted and the same. Totally different if I just use various lots of even the same type of brass (LC). Case volume and brass thickness I guess has a lot to do with it. What barrel twist are you running those loooong lead things with? ;-)
Retired USAFR, NRA Life Member, NSSF, IDPA Range Safety Officer, GSSF member. Multiple ARs including 5.56 M4, 6.8 SPC II and suppressed 300BLK 8" SBR.
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

I'm out cause I'm too damn lazy to walk further than 50 yards.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Much like 68guy, I am finding that careful attention to all things, brass, seating depth, and an EXACT powder charge come into play here. The slightest change may turn your 3 shot ES of 4 to a 5 shot ES of 30 which correlates to 2 shots being 1 1/4 inches higher at 100. Ask me how I know this :evil:
I like treating it like a precision round and seeing the results that come with that.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

68guy, it's a 1:7, 8" suppressed. With the exception of neck turning, the brass is as consistent as I can make it. All the usual stuff including annealing and weight sorting. ES numbers are good.

These are some looooong bullets, and they're showing just a hint of wobble. Groups seem to improve with higher velocities; the best group averaged right at 1050 fps. I'm going to try a few at ~1150 just for grins, but of course that wouldn't fit within the rules.

If I felt like blowing another $50-$100 on bullets I'm sure I could figure it out. Who knows...I might get lucky before I'm through this box. Don't have enough to experiment with a lot of different powders, but I'll try varying the BTO next. My initial thought was the seating them just off the lands would be the best option, but maybe they like to be a little deeper.
Jcm800
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Jcm800 »

I'm in....a standard 200yd IBS target works well with 12x + scopes.

Can post a link if anyone wants to download.

Ballpark ......how much elevation needed from 100yd zero? 175 smk's
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Post by certifiable »

I know the rules to this challenge have not been set in stone yet but following my suggestion of a 3.5"x 5.5" target set at 200 yds shooting a 5 round group I was able to do the following today while fighting the ever changing wind speed and direction. The first 2 targets I submit for score with a penalty needing to be determined for misses. I am thinking 1 MOA penalty for each complete miss and a 1/2 MOA penalty for each partial hit/miss but I will leave that to the participants vote.
My targets. Sighter on the left, target for score on the right. Pink POA measures 3.5'x 5.5"
Shooters prospective. Notice the 300 yd gong in the background.
The rifle: 16" pistol gas AAC barrel on a Spikes upper/lower paired with a Vortex Viper PST 1-4 scope set at 4x magnification
First load is a 225gr Hornady BTHP I loaded 3 yrs ago so I have no idea what the powder or charge was
Having adopted the method of ignoring horizontal dispersion during load development, I only focus on vertical dispersion but I will leave that call up to the group

240gr Leatherhead cast coated

I tried my damnedest with the 203gr Palmetto but the wind just would not stay consistent so I post this group only for comparison
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

certifiable wrote:I know the rules to this challenge have not been set in stone yet but following my suggestion of a 3.5"x 5.5" target set at 200 yds shooting a 5 round group I was able to do the following today while fighting the ever changing wind speed and direction. The first 2 targets I submit for score with a penalty needing to be determined for misses. I am thinking 1 MOA penalty for each complete miss and a 1/2 MOA penalty for each partial hit/miss but I will leave that to the participants vote.
My targets. Sighter on the left, target for score on the right. Pink POA measures 3.5'x 5.5"
Shooters prospective. Notice the 300 yd gong in the background.
The rifle: 16" pistol gas AAC barrel on a Spikes upper/lower paired with a Vortex Viper PST 1-4 scope set at 4x magnification
First load is a 225gr Hornady BTHP I loaded 3 yrs ago so I have no idea what the powder or charge was
Having adopted the method of ignoring horizontal dispersion during load development, I only focus on vertical dispersion but I will leave that call up to the group

240gr Leatherhead cast coated

I tried my damnedest with the 203gr Palmetto but the wind just would not stay consistent so I post this group only for comparison
For what it's worth, the simple post card challenge was one I threw out half jokingly when there was a discussion about the accuracy difference between 300BLK and 7.62X39.

200 yards iron sights, five on a post card. Certifiable took that challenge to heart. I felt it was a very practical challenge, hit something in the heart.

Just to do a little bragging for Cert. here is one of his targets at 200 yards with irons and supers.

As for the competition, I think the photos will sort themselves out pretty quickly. MOA or points does not really matter, clean hit 1, cut the line 0, clean miss -1. The important thing is to get people out there doing it. So many people think the cartridge is only good for 100 yards with supers, 200 yards with subs world shut a few mouths.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.