How far can you shoot subs?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: How far can you shoot subs?

Post by dellet »

rebel wrote:You damn right. The little boogers can shoot!
I like certs rules. While irons and optics would be fun, that may exclude some so here's my suggestion. 200 yards, each shot on target 10 points, no score for miss or cutting the edge (damn cert, your tough), tie breakers will be smallest group. Run what you brung.
I know some of you have a load developed for distance - i haven't fooled with it enough past 100 so, shall we start in June - one entry a month and we all decide at the end of said month. A measuring device such as a ruler or tape must be laid from furthest holes unless you have cert's program. Your calipers can lay there or be used to confirm for the photo, but a straight ruler should be used.
Keep it honest and fun. We should give a nod to the crappiest group as well for fun. So post some of the bad ones.
What do y'all think?
Cert's gonna whoop our asses anyway, might as well strive for something - fun! :mrgreen:
We need to have a category for the longest vertical string, with the least horizontal drift :lol:
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

rebel wrote:You damn right. The little boogers can shoot!
I like certs rules. While irons and optics would be fun, that may exclude some so here's my suggestion. 200 yards, each shot on target 10 points, no score for miss or cutting the edge (damn cert, your tough), tie breakers will be smallest group. Run what you brung.
I know some of you have a load developed for distance - i haven't fooled with it enough past 100 so, shall we start in June - one entry a month and we all decide at the end of said month. A measuring device such as a ruler or tape must be laid from furthest holes unless you have cert's program. Your calipers can lay there or be used to confirm for the photo, but a straight ruler should be used.
Keep it honest and fun. We should give a nod to the crappiest group as well for fun. So post some of the bad ones.
What do y'all think?
Cert's gonna whoop our asses anyway, might as well strive for something - fun! :mrgreen:
If this were an official match, you'd get a few sighters and then shoot for record. Are you thinking of something like this, or just shoot as much as you want and post the best?
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Well, I am going to test my loads on target first. See what shoots best. Then try a group. Normal procedure.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

I may give it a try if I can find the time to work up a load. Those yellow things to the left work fine for hunting, but they'd never win a long range competition. My range only has 100, 300, and 1000, so it would have to be 300.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

bangbangping wrote:I may give it a try if I can find the time to work up a load. Those yellow things to the left work fine for hunting, but they'd never win a long range competition. My range only has 100, 300, and 1000, so it would have to be 300.
Who says you have to use those. Get after it Texas!
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

rebel wrote:
bangbangping wrote:I may give it a try if I can find the time to work up a load. Those yellow things to the left work fine for hunting, but they'd never win a long range competition. My range only has 100, 300, and 1000, so it would have to be 300.
That's why I'll have to work up a load. Never shot them fancy store bought sub bullets before.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Me neither at distance. This will be my own stuff.
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

rebel wrote:dellet and I have spoken about what a hoot it would be to have a LR sub match. I'm game, but am limited to 300 yards at the range. Maybe smallest target or best group. I think it would be a blast on smallest target - adding a bit of creativity to the fun.

Ben Avery shooting range in Phoenix has a thousand yard range...
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
steven11b
Silent But Deadly

Post by steven11b »

bangbangping wrote:
rebel wrote:
That's why I'll have to work up a load. Never shot them fancy store bought sub bullets before.
Well you have about a month to figure it out. :mrgreen:
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

Truthfully, I have never fired my subs past 100yds, and then only once. This would be an interesting experiment. I may have to look around for a 300 yd range that won't charge me a fortune to shoot at. that is a problem of having your own range, as limited as it is. you don't want to pay someone to shoot. :mrgreen:
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in