How far can you shoot subs?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

BJK
Silent But Deadly

Re: How far can you shoot subs?

Post by BJK »

I find that incredibly interesting.

Not 300BLK, but I'm making moves, getting set up to shoot NRL22 which is long range (for a .22) shooting. I think they shoot out to 400 yards. I've spectated when the max' range was 280 yards with heavy wind. So as not to get the transition from supersonic to sonic inaccuracy everyone shoots subsonic ammo.

So yes, subsonic loads can be shot at significant distances. I've been doing it at the end of each range session with subsonic 9mm and yes, it's fun.

For NRL22 the scopes used, with target turrets and, for example 5-25x magnification, would be out of place on my 300BLK, but it makes the mortaring in of the bullets more repeatable. Of course one must have the trajectory data and be able to read the wind. For a noob to it like me it's all so very new. I have a lot to learn to play the game. Without those specialized scopes it would be more difficult to do.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Demphna2 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:42 pm Image

Pretty fun! Shot these right before a thunderstorm, so wind was high. Going to try again with a different load. Me, dad, and God brother all had a competition with each other.

7.6 gr N105
6.5" V seven barrel
:mrgreen:
Kinda humbling isn’t it?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Demphna2

Post by Demphna2 »

dellet wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:42 pm
Demphna2 wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:42 pm Image

Pretty fun! Shot these right before a thunderstorm, so wind was high. Going to try again with a different load. Me, dad, and God brother all had a competition with each other.

7.6 gr N105
6.5" V seven barrel
:mrgreen:
Kinda humbling isn’t it?
After seeing what Mrs. Dellet could do when y'all shot, humbling is an understatement!

I was actually very impressed with it being a 6.5" barrel and a 1-8x lpvo, but my expectations were low 8) My assessment is the shooter is the biggest factor after establishing a good load. Putting the spread into the card is difficult, but man it's fun to do.

I actually was the guinea pig being the first shooter. My card is on the right side. The first shot went high for me, so I adjusted down one click, but never corrected for wind. The 4 that followed all measure at 2.83" and I'm ok with that in that tiny pistol.

Next time out, we'll try a load that's going 1045 fps instead of 1000 fps to see if it helps with the wind any.

I will say though, I'll be trying this everytime I go shoot!
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Anyone else interested in doing this at distance, I just dropped the hammer on a Brownells 5-25 x 56 MPO scope and got over $300 off on it. It's on sale for $700 and use the promo code TRIGGER for another 10% off. Look and read reviews on the scope. It's priced way under it's fighting weight. After tax and shipping It was considerably under $700. (6/24/23)

Of course it's for the PRS game and not something normally seen on a 300BLK. But I wouldn't mind seeing just what a 300BLK would do with a good optic dialed in.
naancy541

Post by naancy541 »

The effective range of subs, commonly marketed as "subs," can differ based on several factors Subsonic rounds have been developed to travel at a speed below the sound speed, which corresponds to roughly 1,125 feet per second (fps) at sea level. Due to the lower velocity of subs, they exhibit a faster drop in the path and less energy versus supersonic rounds. Typically, the effective firing range of a sub is deemed to be between 100 and 200 yards. However, this can differ based on the firearm, bullet weight, barrel length, and atmospheric conditions. It is essential to take into account these factors, as well as properly test and measure the range and accuracy for using subs.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

naancy541 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 2:28 am The effective range of subs, commonly marketed as "subs," can differ based on several factors Subsonic rounds have been developed to travel at a speed below the sound speed, which corresponds to roughly 1,125 feet per second (fps) at sea level. Due to the lower velocity of subs, they exhibit a faster drop in the path and less energy versus supersonic rounds. Typically, the effective firing range of a sub is deemed to be between 100 and 200 yards. However, this can differ based on the firearm, bullet weight, barrel length, and atmospheric conditions. It is essential to take into account these factors, as well as properly test and measure the range and accuracy for using subs.
It’s important not to confuse the effectiveness of the bullet, with the ability of the shooter.

A 45 ACP with a 200 grain bullet will have a muzzle velocity around 950 fps.
A Lehigh 194 ME with a muzzle velocity of 1050, will have the same 950 fps out to 300 yards.

If the 45 ACP with a Hornady 200 XTP only has an effective range of 25 yards, dropping to 925 Fps, the Lehigh will have a range of 400 yards at the same 925 fps.

If you want to stretch the 45 ACP to 50 yards and 900 fps, the Lehigh Will match it ballistically at 500 yards.

If you want to load the the Hornady bullet to +P velocities of 1050 and use the same 900 fps as the low velocity threshold then the 45 ACP is good for 120 yards.

One of the reasons for this challenge was to show the difficulty of loading and shooting MOA groups at a distance, with subsonic loads. It’s not the bullet, the rifle, the barrel length or the optics that is the week link.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

BJK wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:57 pm Anyone else interested in doing this at distance, I just dropped the hammer on a Brownells 5-25 x 56 MPO scope and got over $300 off on it. It's on sale for $700 and use the promo code TRIGGER for another 10% off. Look and read reviews on the scope. It's priced way under it's fighting weight. After tax and shipping It was considerably under $700. (6/24/23)

Of course it's for the PRS game and not something normally seen on a 300BLK. But I wouldn't mind seeing just what a 300BLK would do with a good optic dialed in.
This might be interesting. Digital optics.
viewtopic.php?f=128&t=101488&hilit=Dime ... e&start=50

Magnification does not matter as much as glass quality, within reason. I have a 1-6 Trijicon and I prefer that over a 4-16 Vortex. It’s all in the clarity.

More BS than load data but at least scan though the thread.

Nice score on the scope.
Roadrunner1969

Post by Roadrunner1969 »

I'll be shooting distance as soon as I get all my dominos lined up. So far just shot at 50 and 100 yds. I will soon have 185 yds and 200 yds set up, and will have my loads set...hopefully.
I'm down at the barn in TX this week moving rock/dirt with my tractor in triple digit heat. Got 2 more backstops to build and then finish stockpiling the rest of the rock and dirt.
Got about 50 BLK rounds to shoot and hope to have my load workup done.
I'm shooting a RARR w/ SWFA 12X mounted on it.
I may even be able to set up a 300 yd range.
I cut all of the plantation timber off that place last year, so what used to be 50 to 100 yd shots at hogs is now well over 200 yds from the front porch.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

dellet wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:35 am Magnification does not matter as much as glass quality, within reason. I have a 1-6 Trijicon and I prefer that over a 4-16 Vortex. It’s all in the clarity.

Nice score on the scope.
Thanks.

Yes, I'm going to the NLR22 game from dense forest hunting where IMO LPVOs were king for the past 50 years. So for the past 2 months I'd been doing LOTS of research into scopes suggested to me on the Rimfire Central Forum and (I already knew) good optics aren't cheap. I'm an amateur astronomer and I know optics. Point sources (aka stars) are the worst to show terrible optics. I dreaded a $500 scope but my budget was around $500 and every scope I saw in that range had chromatic aberration to one degree or another. I got the notice about the Brownells scope and hadn't looked at that yet since no one suggested it. I started to look at reviews and it was not a $500 optical quality scope. I jumped on it, it was precisely what I was looking for. Brownells also had a 4-16x but everyone on the RCF suggested the 5-25 range. Knowing nothing, or very little, I followed their advice. Now I'll make it work. I don't need to zoom it all the way to 25x. I actually expect to never go over the high teens. I have sooo much to learn. Now with no more PRL matches scheduled and none in the foreseeable future I'm on my own to learn. But I'm retired and most days I have the range to myself. But the choice of scope is over.

The scope will dwarf any of my existing rimfires that I can mount on it and I have no budget or desire for a new dedicated rifle for the game. It's just a game. One is a svelte pre '74 T-Bolt and the other a Ruger Charger SBR. Both have accuracy enough and I'll test them for what they like most for loads. For years I shot CCI mini-mags out of the T-Bolt but the ammo I bought 50 years ago is almost all gone. So it's time to find new ammo anyway. My first choice of those 2 rifles is to put the T-Bolt on the scope. The scope will be that massive in appearance. But It'll dwarf either rifle. I certainly won't show up with what is considered a traditional PLR rimfire if they ever start NRL22 back up locally. I'll be giving up my verminator of the past 50 years (the T-Bolt) to do this PLR game. The Charger SBR will just need to take on the role of verminator as well as also being my Steel Challenge RFRO gun. But it really was designed to be both when I built it. With the OEM barrel it wasn't that, but I put a 9" TacSol barrel on it this past winter and that changed it into a tack driver. It would be the most inappropriate PLR .22 ever. But the 9" barrel will open up more possibilities for subsonic loads. I'm not counting the SBR out just yet.
Roadrunner1969

Post by Roadrunner1969 »

BJK, I've got a 5-25X50 Viper sitting on a 6.5 in the closet that hasn't seen any action in a while. I'm thinking that I might put that scope on the 300 blk in the morning and put the 12X fixed on the 6.5. Since I already have it I won't have to spend a load of bucks to try it. The 2 main reasons I am thinking about it is for the illuminated reticle and the option of lower power on the 5-25.
Even though I have a thermal on one of my 6.5s, I like using a powerful green LED hunting light on a regular scope with a red dot or illuminated reticle for shooting. The variable magnification will also come in handy when stretching out blackout sub loads.
I know it will look like a huge scope on a short rifle, but if it works, who cares?