How far can you shoot subs?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: How far can you shoot subs?

Post by dellet »

I use the most magnification I can keep steady. I know guys using 30X and more at 50 yards for Rimfire. If I do that the crosshairs dance around like I have Parkinson’s.

I shoot a fair amount off hand out to 200 yards and 12X is about max that I’m comfortable with. 6-8X works out much better.

Might have to compare some scores, probably shoot just as bad/good with a peep sight.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

I'm just getting started with the rimfire version. My scope arrives today, the mount maybe tomorrow. But as difficult as it's going to be to mortar in those tiny bullets I think the come ups will be the easy part. Reading the wind will be much more difficult. Both of my potential rifles are in open division. Now I need to decide which rifle will be used by shooting, also figuring out my come ups every 10 yards once I decide on the rifle and ammo.

Shakes and magnification... A sorta local club put out feelers to see if there's an interest for 300 yard shooting so I'm waiting for that to happen. Not so much to shoot, I don't know enough yet, but to pick brains. That shooting is from the bench. For NRL22, which stopped just recently, I understand that they have an old guy division for those of us who can't move and get into positions. That'd be me. From posts I've read they allow shooting from a bench using a bipod. Good that it's a separate division otherwise it wouldn't be fair to the other shooters.

One gent on the Rimfire Central Forum told everyone that he's top shooter in the old folks division every match, because he's the only one in it. That won't be a problem for me, there should be plenty of older folks in it. It'll be fun.
Demphna2

Post by Demphna2 »

Getting ready to try again.
Demphna2

Post by Demphna2 »

Only shot these first 5, had to rush to get this in, but pleased with the group. Need to adjust about 2" lower and trust my wind calls. I favored a little smidge more right than I should have.

They'll all fit, just need to make the correct adjustments.

Dad's card is on the right. It's brutal. And I let him know it 8)
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Demphna2 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:46 am Image

They'll all fit,

It's brutal. 8)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Shooting for score is just a bit harder than groups.

Brutal is certainly one word for it with subs! :mrgreen:

Laughing with you, tho. It’s all you can do. Nice shooting
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Still getting the gear sorted out for the .22 version.

I shot the T-Bolt today and accuracy was very good with SK semi-auto loads. Tiny 5 shot groups at 25 yards where I sighted in. But due to the scope mount I also got lots of ejection malfunctions. That won't do. So the scope is now on the alternate rifle (SBR w/9" barrel). The gun is a tackdriver and definitely strange looking with that massive scope. I'll test it tomorrow.

I tried to get velocities today but the subsonic rounds and the long barrel conspired to not trigger the LabRadar and I didn't get even one measurement.
Robert2

Post by Robert2 »

BJK wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:27 pm I find that incredibly interesting.

Not 300BLK, but I'm making moves, getting set up to shoot NRL22 which is long range (for a .22) shooting. I think they shoot out to 400 yards. I've spectated when the max' range was 280 yards with heavy wind. So as not to get the transition from supersonic to sonic inaccuracy everyone shoots subsonic ammo.

So yes, subsonic loads can be shot at significant distances. I've been doing it at the end of each range session with subsonic 9mm and yes, it's fun.

For NRL22 the scopes used, with target turrets and, for example 5-25x magnification, would be out of place on my 300BLK, but it makes the mortaring in of the bullets more repeatable. Of course one must have the trajectory data and be able to read the wind. For a noob to it like me it's all so very new. I have a lot to learn to play the game. Without those specialized scopes it would be more difficult to do.
It's fascinating to see how subsonic loads are being used for long-range shooting, especially in NRL22 matches. The transition from supersonic to sonic accuracy is a critical factor, and specialized scopes with target turrets and high magnification play a crucial role in achieving precision. It's a testament to the versatility of firearms and the importance of trajectory data and wind reading skills in this challenging sport.youtube vanced