flying suppressor!

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

blaster
Silent But Deadly

flying suppressor!

Post by blaster »

Monday morning I was shooting my suppressed AR s off the porch of my camp. I was shooting water hyacinths as they floated down the creek. I took the can off the carbine and screwed & locked it onto my pistol as usual. when I shot the noise was too loud, I got powder in the face and my new Omega went flying and landed in the middle of the raging creek!! :shock: :shock: we are supposed to be in the dry season but the creek is flooded out of its banks and where the can landed is now about 20 ft. deep. now I have to wait until the water goes down to hunt for my can. :oops: :oops: hopefully it will be soon! I don't want to have to put a tank on and dive in that black gator infested water with my metal detector but will if I have to. :cry: :cry: :cry: moral of this story - MAKE SURE YOUR CAN IS ON TIGHT!! I am pretty sure mine was but I did have a problem twice before with it not locking on my Mini 14's muzzle brake but I thought it was just a problem with that brake. now I think the lock ring on my mount is not working properly. I'll probably replace it if & when I find my can. :oops: :cry:
peace through superior firepower
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: flying suppressor!

Post by rebel »

The only words I have are "That" and "Sucks". Hope you find it. One thought - big magnet and a rope?
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
rpk47
Silent But Deadly

Post by rpk47 »

Wow that sucks, a lot. Do let us know if you find it.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

sucky dude, thats awful.

hopefully the current didnt take it too far downstream on you and it did just essentially go straight to the bottom
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Oh, that sucks.

I had the Griffin Checkmate blow off my .22 once, but all it cost me was my pride.
Sithlord
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sithlord »

That sucks the big one. Almost sounds like you had a baffle strike; I've heard that can cause a can to go flying downrange...

However, as you do not have control over the NFA item, you might want to / need to report it to the ATF.
kroeker
Silent But Deadly

Post by kroeker »

Id be out there with a magnet and rope. Don't feel too bad, a couple weeks ago I was walking on the frozen bank of my creek and had my mp5k on a 1 point sling. The screw that holds the swivel to the rear cap on the receiver backed out and my mp took a swim in the creek. Luckily it was only about shoulder deep and I fished it out but it was a heart stopping moment when it went splash.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Man that blows. A flying can is bad enough without a deep lake involved.

Just to clarify, was the omega direct threaded?
TMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by TMD »

If your wife's related to mine I'm sure she called you a dumbass. Ask me how I know.....
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

That sucks bigtime, hope you find it. In the future, I will plan on tying my can off to my rifle somehow for all maritime and/or amphibious use.