Subsonic ammo with decent terminal performance?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

DCloudy777

Subsonic ammo with decent terminal performance?

Post by DCloudy777 »

Is Lehigh still the only game in town? I've been "out of the loop" for awhile.

Has anyone done any testing with the 187gr Gemtech stuff?
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Re: Subsonic ammo with decent terminal performance?

Post by Dr.Phil »

Lehigh and Outlaw State Bullets.
Outlaw came up with an AR optimized 300 BLK expanding sub awhile ago.
http://www.outlawstatebullets.com/2.html

My choice for lethal subs is Lehigh CF or ME.
The CF projectiles are a bit cheaper and perform very well.

The interesting thing about subs for hunting is that you extend the maximum effective kill range of 300 BLK from 200 yards using supersonic loads, to 450 - 500 yards with subs.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

The Gemtech stuff is OK for range work but doesn't seem to be an expanding round.
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

outlaw state is my sub hunting bullet of choice .
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

BlogSarge wrote:The Gemtech stuff is OK for range work but doesn't seem to be an expanding round.
this is my understanding. I have not seen anything that gives me confidence that the gemtech expands
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

My personal favorite is this

Cast NOE 247gr with 1/8 by 1/2 drilled hollow point. Destabilizes the bullet upon impact and the bullet goes sideways, exiting as such
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
DCloudy777

Post by DCloudy777 »

gds wrote:
BlogSarge wrote:The Gemtech stuff is OK for range work but doesn't seem to be an expanding round.
this is my understanding. I have not seen anything that gives me confidence that the gemtech expands

That's the thing.... I can't seem to find ANY information about this load, good or bad. Highborn doesn't mention anything about the bullet used on their site, I can't find any sort of gel testing done on it.

If Gemtech was just going to have yet another subsonic .300BLK load with FMJ-like performance, why go to all the trouble of having a fancy proprietary bullet made? Doesn't make any sense.
Fordfan
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Fordfan »

jwb47 wrote:outlaw state is my sub hunting bullet of choice .
Which Outlaw State bullet did you choose and why? and which do you have experience with?
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

gds wrote:My personal favorite is this

Cast NOE 247gr with 1/8 by 1/2 drilled hollow point. Destabilizes the bullet upon impact and the bullet goes sideways, exiting as such
Same thing but made with the NOE's HP mold:
You are correct about it destabilizing. Every one I have tested has done so.

BTW, I had my latest alloy (pistol range scrap with added Sn) tested and it wasn't quite what I expected, but it expands well without fracturing. 3.3% tin, 2.1% antimony, and .6% copper.

I know casting isn't for everyone, but there is a level of satisfaction you can't get by buying the latest whiz-bang bullet. And if you have a source of free lead like the berm at your range, the bullets are literally dirt cheap.
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

Fordfan wrote:
jwb47 wrote:outlaw state is my sub hunting bullet of choice .
Which Outlaw State bullet did you choose and why? and which do you have experience with?
I use the 225 grain spitzer . I find the 225 grain hornady match to be the most accurate sub - sonic load in all three of my guns and buy in bulk , the 225 grain spitzer pretty well has the same point of impact at what I consider reasonable hunting range for subs 100 yds and in my longest shot with subs has been 75 yds . the spitzer fractures and penetrates deep , expanding subs are not cheap but to be honest the bullet is the cheapest part of the hunt and 100 count will last along time . these are the only ones I have experience with when I find something that works I tend to stay on the straight and narrow . Of the deer I have killed with these bullets the farthest one has run was 30 yds .