Sneaky Pete holsters

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Re: Sneaky Pete holsters

Post by jwb47 »

Kanook wrote:
jwb47 wrote:lint in the pocket can be a problem especially with semi-auto.
I store my lint in my Belly Button so it won't get in my firearms during pocket carry.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

Kanook wrote:
I store my lint in my Belly Button so it won't get in my firearms during pocket carry.

while i too usually store my lint in my belly button, i have to disagree on it being an issue for firearms functioning based on MY testing.

i noticed it collecting not long after i started pocket carrying and it concerned me.

so i daily carried it for a month that way with no in-between maintenance and REALLY let it build up. then took the gun out and shot it - only changing th emagazine over to target ammo from my carry ammo (i left the round in the chamber to attempt to disturb as little lint as possible)

the gun ran like raped ape. no problems at all. i have recreated this with both of my automatics. i havent bothered to check on the LCR-38 yet.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Now days if I carry at all, it is pocket carry with my Kahr PM 9 or in winter with my Glock 19. In both cases the way the gun rides in my pocket the muzzle is pointed to the outside of my leg. In the off chance these double action only guns somehow found a way to discharge the only thing I'd get would be a leg burn. In my younger, more amorous days, I might get knee/carpet burns from another activity but that is a different story.

Here in NC open carry is legal but you can be arrested for a law that reads to the effect of "terrorizing the public". I took this to mean if you wander into your local big box store with a six gun on your hip and grandma gets upset you can be hauled off to the lockup.
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

plant.one wrote:
Kanook wrote:

while i too usually store my lint in my belly button, i have to disagree on it being an issue for firearms functioning based on MY testing.

i noticed it collecting not long after i started pocket carrying and it concerned me.

so i daily carried it for a month that way with no in-between maintenance and REALLY let it build up. then took the gun out and shot it - only changing th emagazine over to target ammo from my carry ammo (i left the round in the chamber to attempt to disturb as little lint as possible)

the gun ran like raped ape. no problems at all. i have recreated this with both of my automatics. i havent bothered to check on the LCR-38 yet.
we can disagree and hopefully your testing works for you . I made my statement based on my experience running a gunsmith shop . granted it was 20 years ago and everybody was buying the cheap jennings and taurus 22lr . revolvers I dont ever recall an issue except one that still sticks in my mind a nickle got wedged between the cylinder and frame on a charter arms revolver and the guy some how managed to jam it even tighter when he tried to open the gun . I still to this day wonder how the hell it could of got that hung up and me having to work on a loaded gun.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

i'm sure the fact that both of my automatics are .40's helps them rock and roll even with the pocket lint over some bs Jimmens or taurus 22's.

i still try to clean my carry guns every other week - and more in the summer due to heat/sweat factor - i'm not intentionally neglecting them. as i mentioned it was a test after i noticed some lint buildup in the various parts of the slide and even inside around the recoil spring and such.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

http://www.tacticalholsters.com/product/INCOG.html

Incog holsters are some of the thinner iwb kydex I've seen

http://www.tacticalholsters.com/categor ... eries.html

They have some different styles if you want owb at a lower price point.

My carry gun is a Springfield 5" XD .40 with a powder river trigger and an arrendondo +3
I've had this gun for 10 years. Living in Arizona Summer's make iwb very uncomfortable no matter the type of holster if you are outside.
I carry owb (constitutional carry state) or off body in a pack. I have two that work great.
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

I too have a Springfield XD 40. It has been relegated to a spot between the console and shifter in my car. I had to have surgery on both my thumbs and can't rack the slide without pointing the muzzle in a precarious position unless I'm real careful or use a piece of foam rubber that doesn't lend itself to fast reloads. My XD 40 has a backstrap, extra safety that has to be depressed to rack the slide. I took it out but had to put it back. Otherwise I like the gun.
A-Game
Silent But Deadly

Post by A-Game »

hardcase wrote:I too have a Springfield XD 40. It has been relegated to a spot between the console and shifter in my car. I had to have surgery on both my thumbs and can't rack the slide without pointing the muzzle in a precarious position unless I'm real careful or use a piece of foam rubber that doesn't lend itself to fast reloads. My XD 40 has a backstrap, extra safety that has to be depressed to rack the slide. I took it out but had to put it back. Otherwise I like the gun.

I think a while ago Plant said he was having some thumb issues...I don't think he needed surgery but he did need to start using more lube :lol:
Industry Pro Staff for Dynamic Research Technologies When One Shot is All You Get www.drtammo.com https://www.facebook.com/drtammo/
Join the Revolution http://youtube.com/watch?v=3_Xnx3BFuLk
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

A-Game wrote:
hardcase wrote:I too have a Springfield XD 40. It has been relegated to a spot between the console and shifter in my car. I had to have surgery on both my thumbs and can't rack the slide without pointing the muzzle in a precarious position unless I'm real careful or use a piece of foam rubber that doesn't lend itself to fast reloads. My XD 40 has a backstrap, extra safety that has to be depressed to rack the slide. I took it out but had to put it back. Otherwise I like the gun.

I think a while ago Plant said he was having some thumb issues...I don't think he needed surgery but he did need to start using more lube :lol:
hey man, sometimes you need a good fark cork in a hurry and dont have time for fancy stuff like that - dont judge! :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
afshirt
Silent But Deadly

Post by afshirt »

Here is how you test out that sneaky Pete holster. Look up the tuller drill and perform it. Basically on a range stand facing your target with your loaded gun in your holster. Have someone standing right behind you back to back. He starts running. As soon as you feel him move draw and put one round in a vital area. When he hears the shot he stops running. That is your reaction distance. In every class we do this drill with a open strong side carry holster it is around 18-25 feet. My guess is with they sneaky Pete holster it will be closer to 30
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA pistol, rifle, shotgun, Refuse to be a Victim
NRA Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home
Full time instructor with Florida Firearms Training