Favorite Slings?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Scratch
Silent But Deadly

Re: Favorite Slings?

Post by Scratch »

I wanted a sling for my rifles, but I wasn't sure which one I want so I bought a bunch of them. I figured I could either sell them or use them on my other rifles. Here's what I have:

Blackhawk 3 point (I think it's called the. Universal Swift Sling)
Winchester single point
Vickers Tactical (non padded)
Blue Force Gear Vickers
Magpul MS4

I wanted them all to be QD compatible so I outfitted all my rifles with QD mounts, and got QD's and Tri Glides (single point conversion points) for all the slings that needed them.

Here's my favorites in order from least to most.

Blackhawk 3 point sling - hate it. The strap that slides for the 3 point system is in the way constantly. It rides along the entire left side of the rifle right over the bolt release. It's also confusing as hell to install.

Winchester single point sling - it's all right, but I'm not really a single point guy. I don't like the way a single point lets the rifle flop all over the place when I'm doing all my tactical ninja moves, like getting out of the chair and bending over, because my mouse fell off the desk.

Vickers Tactical sling - the lightest of the bunch I think... I wish I would have gotten the padded one, but it wasn't in stock at the time. I don't like the "tail" that I have to find and grab in order to adjust it. The webbing is very thin and gets twisted sometimes, but that's what makes it lightweight too.

Blue Force Gear - again, I'm not a fan of finding the "tail" to adjust it. Even though the material is much thicker, it is very light. Also the fabric is heat resistant so it's better for running against hot barrels, and the occasional marshmallow roasting stick. Padding is very nice. I DO really like this sling.

Magpul MS4 - wide material doesn't get tangled easily, no "tail" to find and grab, just grab the entire buckle and slide it. Has QD's already installed, and is already set up to switch to single point easily. My favorite sling.

I also added a buckle to shorten the Magpul sling so I can use it on my AR pistol which mounts a little differently from the others and needs a shorter sling. Works great.
afshirt
Silent But Deadly

Post by afshirt »

All of my working guns wear a Vickers VCAS with QD sling mounts on the front. The rear endplate has a flushcup so I can convert from a 2 to a 1 point when necessary. 1 points are great fighting slings but suck for pretty much everything else. 2 points are great for carrying but can get snagged up during reloads, position changes etc. The VCAS is great because it allows you to adjust the length on the fly and by making it convertible if you have time you can convert it to a 1 point quickly and fight on then go back to a 2 point for carry.
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA pistol, rifle, shotgun, Refuse to be a Victim
NRA Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home
Full time instructor with Florida Firearms Training
BlackLight
Senior Silent Operator

Post by BlackLight »

Magpul 2 point all the way for CQC weapons. For QD on any sling without, I use HK clips
Lefties are members of a suicide cult who want to compel your membership
Yakstone

Post by Yakstone »

I am a big fan of the VCAS 221.
Netpackrat
Silent But Deadly

Post by Netpackrat »

For a "shooting" sling I like the Brownell's Latigo Sling. I recently bought several of the Vickers' non padded slings for my AR and AKs, and I like them so far.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

I know this is an older thread but I haven't been on for a while... Savvy Sniper ( savvysniper.com ) makes a very nice sling, worth a look.