Troy PAR pump action?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Magnum Mike
Silent But Deadly

Troy PAR pump action?

Post by Magnum Mike »

Anyone tried one yet? Thinking about trying one as a walking varmint over my R700 bolt gun...
michael
--------------------
NRA Life Member

John 3:3

Check out our web store @ http://www.accuratearmsandammo.com
tXr
Silent But Deadly

Re: Troy PAR pump action?

Post by tXr »

Yes I have one viewtopic.php?f=149&t=94999 . I got mine when they only had the 223/556 version, it has since been re-barreled in a different caliber, but I do have a 16" 300blk upper coming soon.

I have done some performance upgrades that really sweeten the pump action, replacing the nylon bushings with roller bearings.
The only trustworthy Bolshevik is the Bolshevik taking a dirt nap
Magnum Mike
Silent But Deadly

Post by Magnum Mike »

You can buy other top ends?

I read your thread about swapping barrels, no issues with extraction? I note that the factory barrels are supposed to be fluted.

Also, the muzzle brakes are removable, right? I want it to replace my R700 bolt gun and I only run it suppressed.
michael
--------------------
NRA Life Member

tXr
Silent But Deadly

Post by tXr »

Uppers will be available to the general public by Christmas.

There is no issue with extraction with a chamber that is not fluted, the fluting does absolutely nothing for extraction in reality. It was developed for use in roller blowback rifles to assist in extraction by using the flutes to channel gasses around the neck and push against the shoulder and upper case to ensure proper cycling. By the time you start the extraction process with the pump action the brass has contracted back, if anything, with a tight chamber the flutes would be a hindrance to extraction acting as a key that prevents the brass from rotating making the extractor ride around the rim as the bolt rotates out of battery. I have yet to understand the reasoning behind their decision to use a fluted chamber.

The muzzles appear to be threaded in a non typical threading 11/16-24 I think.
Magnum Mike
Silent But Deadly

Post by Magnum Mike »

Thanks for the info.

I've read a bunch about them since posting this and they seem fairly accurate. If the 300BLK model has some weird thread, I might be better off just picking up a high end barrel and swapping it out. The only downside I see is now I will be limited to "mag length" loading. My 240MK and some cast bullet loads are way longer but I can rework them.

Living in PA, I've always wanted to hunt with an AR but cannot due to ridiculous regulations that only allow manually operated rifles. I had built an AR without a gas system, that I'd have to manually operate with the charging handle, but found out that the pathetic game commission would still confiscate the rifle since the lower was considered a semi automatic. The PAR beats their pathetic rules and gives me a rifle with the look and feel of an AR.

Knowing you can buy uppers, swap barrels and the basic platform IS accurate I think I'm going to take the plunge! At 6 pounds before scope, it should make an awesome walking varmint and medium/deer rifle. I see their also offering a 308 version, oh sheesh....
michael
--------------------
NRA Life Member

Magnum Mike
Silent But Deadly

Post by Magnum Mike »

Ran across this pic in this article, http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/50-stat ... p-ar-troy/ obviously the flutes are minimal.

michael
--------------------
NRA Life Member

tXr
Silent But Deadly

Post by tXr »

And on about the third reload with that brass the vertical splits start to occur. The brass gets worked way too much
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

my rem 7600 in 30-06 extracts just fine as a non-fluted chamber. and that has a rotating bolt assembly in it.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
tXr
Silent But Deadly

Post by tXr »

Magnum Mike wrote:
Living in PA, I've always wanted to hunt with an AR but cannot due to ridiculous regulations that only allow manually operated rifles. I had built an AR without a gas system, that I'd have to manually operate with the charging handle, but found out that the pathetic game commission would still confiscate the rifle since the lower was considered a semi automatic. The PAR beats their pathetic rules and gives me a rifle with the look and feel of an AR.

Knowing you can buy uppers, swap barrels and the basic platform IS accurate I think I'm going to take the plunge! At 6 pounds before scope, it should make an awesome walking varmint and medium/deer rifle. I see their also offering a 308 version, oh sheesh....
I also hunt in Pa., mostly in Wayne county in the Pocono's, that is another reason why I snagged the PAR.

Though just a few weeks ago I was heading to the gun shop here in NY to show the owner the Duracoat scheme I applied, a State Trooper had seen me carry what he believed was an illegal assault weapon in NY into the LGS and he came running down the street and into the store demanding the weapon be turned over. He was more than a little embarrassed that the weapon was fully legal being a pump action and the magazine wasn't a 30rnd'r but Troy's 10 round version using a 30rnd body, LOL It was absolutely priceless watching the dejected trooper slink out of the gun shop.
Last edited by tXr on Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magnum Mike
Silent But Deadly

Post by Magnum Mike »

Wow, that's just sad. LE's should be the first to want to preserve our 2A rights! When their outnumbered by thugs, who's going to have their back?

I'm really thinking on getting a par. Depending on how well I like it, I may buy a second!
michael
--------------------
NRA Life Member