SHTF

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

steven11b
Silent But Deadly

SHTF

Post by steven11b »

Lets say something very bad happens in the world with no more gov't and law. You have to leave your home and wont be returning. You have a pistol in every common caliber. You have hunting/bolt rifles as well but only have AR-15's in 5.56, 300blackout(suppressed) and one other caliber. You only can pack what will fit in your vehicle and after the gas you have runs out you wont be getting more so youll be carrying stuff around until you find a survival place to set up.
What do you take with you as far as weapons keeping in mind the other necessities you would need? I would take my 5.56 SPR upper and 1,000 rnds(capable of 600yd shots). I would also take my 300blackout sbr with 1,000 rnds of subsonic. As far as pistols I would take one 9mm, one .40 and my .44mag. Ammo for the pistols would be minimal because the weight would be better spent on the rifle ammo. And I would try to avoid every person possible as my experience in combat tells me ammo goes fast in firefights.
Edit: I would also take my remington 550 .22 with all my .22 ammo about 1500 rnds.

This is just for fun, would like to see what others ideas are. I am not a "prepper" at all but things like this have crossed my mind.
Life is hard but its harder if your stupid-John Wayne
41Bear
Silent Operator

Re: SHTF

Post by 41Bear »

First off if you still haven't got a place to bug out to you're already in deep *@#* so what you carry won't matter much. Jm2c Sorry
"Still flying like gypsies, just a little closer to the ground" Trace Adkins
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

41Bear wrote:First off if you still haven't got a place to bug out to you're already in deep *@#* so what you carry won't matter much. Jm2c Sorry

^^ this.

in this scenario you'd probably be better off bugging in & staying put, if at all possible.

if not, here's to hoping your bug-out location is accessible by whatever gas you can carry/have on hand.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

I would be bugging in and reinforcing my defenses.

He gets to handle repelling the unwanted

Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
kroeker
Silent But Deadly

Post by kroeker »

I don't worry about bugging out because I live in the country and have running water in my backyard and there's critters to be shot for meat. But if I could only pick a few of my weapons to have on hand it'd be an ar in 5.56 my USP 9mm and something in a bolt action probably 243 or 308.
And of coarse a 22. That pretty much takes care of any shooting situation id have. Anyone trying to take what's mine I have home field advantage and don't worry about having a ton of ammo on hand. Only take the shots you have to.

In an end of days no end in sight senerio I'd say the best thing anyone could do is wean themselves off guns and go to a bow. Eventually ammo will run out but arrows can always be made.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Well, like was said above; I plan to bug in here. Mine is the primary rally point of my extended family. Should we have to bug out to secondary rally point - it's way up in North Texas, I'll be taking a BUNCH of stuff. Whatever my Excursion and box trailer can haul. Plus I have sufficient gas cans so I will not need to stop for gas. It's kinda been planned out already.

I think you'll find these kinds answers more common than you realize. Lots of folks have thought this through years ago and started putting plans in place. Yeah, we're closet preppers. :)
DeaneM1A
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DeaneM1A »

I always thought it was very amazing that heavily armed people think they can simply drive off into the sunset and live off the land. Here in the East, all of the land is private, except for parks, national forests and some military bases. The locals will not welcome armed intruders. You will probably do much better staying home.
DoubleJ
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoubleJ »

2000 rds of 5.56/300 is heavy, how many people are we talking about here?

I kinda think if the S does hit the F, medical services will be overrun, and you won't need to be shooting people with ARs. No one wants to get hit by a 22, especially if their mother-in-low has to dig it out with a spork.

Either way, I know of a prepper that isn't a gun guy, and I know where he's going, so I'm all good.
I do not reply to posts with horrific grammar errors.

I do not reply to posts concerning the case mouth dent.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

DoubleJ wrote:2000 rds of 5.56/300 is heavy, how many people are we talking about here?

I kinda think if the S does hit the F, medical services will be overrun, and you won't need to be shooting people with ARs. No one wants to get hit by a 22, especially if their mother-in-low has to dig it out with a spork.

Either way, I know of a prepper that isn't a gun guy, and I know where he's going, so I'm all good.

the 22 will be saved for hunting. making noise defending yourself is one thing. making noise taking down a very limited supply of game (resources) with a bunch of hungry folks around is a whole separate issue.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
buzziebells

Post by buzziebells »

One Remington 870 with a non-rifled, 18" slug barrel with iron sights. Accurate to 100 yards with slugs. Can stop most any common vehicle. Can be used to take any animal in North America from bear using slugs or buckshot to dove or rabbit using small shot. Can be reloaded easily using many common components. Can be loaded up with ball bearings, nails, pieces of wire, rocks, or whatever else is handy. It is not an AR, but it is reliable and pretty much indestructible.