Speer 130 Gr Flat Base Varmint Bullet Testing

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

AccuracyARs
Silent Operator

Speer 130 Gr Flat Base Varmint Bullet Testing

Post by AccuracyARs »

Just passing on some info I gleaned from recent testing of 3 different 300 BLK uppers- - - - I have been doing a lot of testing of loads with different 300BLK uppers lately, and for accuracy, one of the bullets (for supersonic loads) that consistently seems to shoot tighter than many others in the 300 BLK has been the Speer 130 gr. flat base varmint bullet. The design of the bullet seems ideal for the SAAMI 300BLK chamber that has a long throat. I load the bullets at 2.065" OAL so there is good neck purchase on the bullet (i.e. need good neck purchase for an AR-15 magazine fed bullet). The Speer 130's also jump very well and are accurate doing so, and I have had no feeding issues with them. They have a larger hollow point tip design which I feel is good for expansion with something like the 300BLK where the velocity is on the slower side (as rifles go). I don't see them around and in stock much right now, but if you see them you might want to try out a box. For me, a "no brainer" load is 17.3 gr of Lil Gun behind them and that shoots very well in a variety of uppers. I am sure the load can be stepped up even higher if one desires, but in most 300 BLK's I tried it in, if it doesn't shoot well with that load, then there's something else going on elsewhere.
danner
Silent But Deadly

Re: Speer 130 Gr Flat Base Varmint Bullet Testing

Post by danner »

What is the speer part number for the bullet you're talking about? The only one I see listed is a 125gr "varmint" bullet.
Someone who is ruled by the "discretion" of another is, to that extent, a slave.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

danner wrote:What is the speer part number for the bullet you're talking about? The only one I see listed is a 125gr "varmint" bullet.

I surely do not claim to know all billets in anyone's line. But cannot envision this one. That PN would be help ful

Ona Simular note. I shoot the Speer 130 FP bullet with much accuracy with 296 & 4227 powders.
I also like the Sierra 125 FP HP bullet same powders. Both of there are 30/30 designed bullest that should fit well as short range black out hunting bullets.
CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
danner
Silent But Deadly

Post by danner »

More googling shows the Speer 2005. Maybe that's the one? Ran it through QL and if loaded to 2.065" it looks like there is about .162" of bullet in the case. Thought that was not very much of the bullet in the case so that's why I asked which bullet the OP was referring to.
Someone who is ruled by the "discretion" of another is, to that extent, a slave.
AccuracyARs
Silent Operator

Post by AccuracyARs »

The Speer 130's are Speer's part #2005

They are seated in the necks of my cases around .190" at 2.065" OAL in but that is plenty enough to make the cartridge durable enough to weather the rigors of magazine feeding without the projectile becoming dislodged or otherwise affected. However, there's nothing stopping one from seating them another .050" deeper if that's what you want to do.

I like them also because when they hit the lands, there's still some of the bearing surface of the bullet in the neck of the case too (i.e. unlike the 125 TNT's where they pretty much are out of the case by the time they hit the lands). I have never had the TNT's or almost any of the 125's shoot particularly consistent or well, and I think it's mostly because just about all those grain weight bullets are falling out of the 300 BLK case by the time they hit the lands (i.e. IMO a symptom of the long throat of the SAAMI 300 BLK chamber).
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

I load the #2005 130gr with 18.2 gr of Lil Gun at an OAL of 2.015. Great Accuracy (sub MOA) and velocity average at 2200,
Rem 7 1/2 primer.

Interestingly enough, the SAME powder charge behind the Speer #1986 125 gr TnT is one of my most accurate loads at a COAL of 2.075 with an average velocity of 2235.
dpete
Silent But Deadly

Post by dpete »

I loaded a bunch of these last Summer and was also impressed. Here is one side by side with a Barnes 110grain blacktip. Speer 130 Varmint HP on the left, blacktip on the right.

Both bullets were shot out of a 16" barrelled AR15 carbine at 150 yards into water jugs. Both penetrated through 4 jugs and stopped in the 5th. At Blackout speeds the 130 Varmint mushrooms beautifully at least at 150 yards. No chrono data on either one.
The Speer was loaded over 19.0 grains of Lilgun, CCI 400 primer, and 1.930" COAL. The shorter length than previously posted by others had no ill effects that I could tell.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Thanks for te post dpete!

Midway has them in stock too!

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS