Are all BUIS created equal?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Ram Rod
Silent Operator

Are all BUIS created equal?

Post by Ram Rod »

I know that question leaves a lot way out in the open, but I am mainly wondering can you mix and match decent quality BUIS? For instance, using a fixed front Samson HK style front (which I've found at a real good price) with say a Magpul folding rear? I mean the quality made ones should co-witness right? Or are you better off getting a matching set?
I'll mainly be using my red dot sight on my 300BLK pistol, but like my 5.56 AR15, I want to have BUIS that co-witness with or without the red dot being on.
Bonus question here. Why are decent quality BUIS so darned friggin expensive anyway?
Thanks
Sans Remords
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Are all BUIS created equal?

Post by smustian »

I'll take a stab at it. Quality front and rear SHOULD be the same or close enough to be able to adjust for the difference. Top tier sights will be either steel or aluminum while cheaper will be plastic or polymer. You pay for the ruggedness of the sight. Make sure you do not try to mix regular and micro sights.
Scratch
Silent But Deadly

Post by Scratch »

For me, back up sights are just that.... Back up sights. With my eyes, I have some sort of optics on all my AR's, and the ones that have BUIS on them are all Magpuls. I'm not in a war zone though, and if my red dot or scope fails me, I'll probably stop shooting that gun until I get home. If I'm in some sort of competition or class or something, then I'm pretty sure the plastic Magpul back up sights are going to be fine. Less accurate for me, but I'll still be able to complete the class or comp.

And if the SHTF or something like that happened, I still think a plastic back up sight would last quite a while.

I'd rather spend my money on better optics or more ammo than buying steel back up sights.

Your situation may be different though, and I can see having a better set of back ups if your life depended on the firearm.
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

I really like KAC the most. It is all I have been using.
Ram Rod
Silent Operator

Post by Ram Rod »

smustian wrote:I'll take a stab at it. Quality front and rear SHOULD be the same or close enough to be able to adjust for the difference. Top tier sights will be either steel or aluminum while cheaper will be plastic or polymer. You pay for the ruggedness of the sight. Make sure you do not try to mix regular and micro sights.
Good point. I won't. I have seen some micros while searching for standard.
BTW....no polymer guys. I won't go there. I have no airsoft.
Sans Remords
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

Ram Rod wrote:Good point. I won't. I have seen some micros while searching for standard.
BTW....no polymer guys. I won't go there. I have no airsoft.
Big difference in Magpul and airsoft sights. I have Magpul on many of my rifles. The new Magpul MBUS Pro sights are supposed to be really nice and are made of steel.
Ram Rod
Silent Operator

Post by Ram Rod »

NO airsoft sights!
Sans Remords
r.tenorio671
Silent But Deadly

Post by r.tenorio671 »

The MAGPUL Gen2 BUIS sights are extremely durable, I doubt they will fail in 90% of the scenarios that one could put them through.

There was a Youtube vid out there where some folks really, I mean REALLY, abused them in their testing and they held up with no problems, better than some of the metal ones tested alongside of them.

Using a "set" from a manufacturer is highly recommended, but if the sights are made to and match the same height as the standard M16A2/A3/A4, mix & match should be possible. The MAGPULS are, so it is possible to use the issue MATECH rear sight with a MAGPUL Gen2 BUIS Front Sight.
monzahunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by monzahunter »

Ram Rod wrote:NO airsoft sights!

I guess no Glock for you then :mrgreen:
a skateboard, piece of toast, and two minutes of angle
www.jbsfirearms.com
paper9
Silent But Deadly

Post by paper9 »

I did not realize that Magpul made airsoft products, how are they different?, Label on the box?