Another stupid idea by me...

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

Re: Another stupid idea by me...

Post by BadKarmaZeroSix »

So your original plan involved a silent-captured NEA style stock? Badass!
Good idea for the cap, but i dont know the machining capabilities/limitations of such things...i figured i could prob find someone on here or local that i could ship it to and have it 1) threaded, 2) lathed if necessary, and 3) re-anodized...or i could anodize somewhere else...like i said, these are projects i contemplate, but dont have the knowledge, experience, or equipment necessary...i dont even know the thread pattern necessary, or if a machine shop can "measure" threads and copy the same ones...
There are a few key pieces of info i gotta get first tho...i gotta find out the dimensions of the stock assembly section itself (specifically inner diameter and length), what material "block" of stock assembly is made of (to make sure castle nut wont just tear it up, but would be strong enough material), and then i gotta see if theres a way to create the stock piece without the rest of the pieces that would no longer be necessary...
"Of course I'm carrying a gun. It's where I keep my bullets".
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Post by certifiable »

Possibly an end cap similar to this one
This is part of a pistol tube/buffer system I picked up a few years ago from a company I cannot remember the name of. Real helpful aren't I. Anyway, I could not make it work with me 9" 300Blk while awaiting my stamp.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

certifiable wrote:Possibly an end cap similar to this one
This is part of a pistol tube/buffer system I picked up a few years ago from a company I cannot remember the name of. Real helpful aren't I. Anyway, I could not make it work with me 9" 300Blk while awaiting my stamp.
Lol, ya, its helpful to me...i was imagining it differently...in the case of adding a cap like that, i would want to bore out the buttstock opening to allow the cap (since it's wider in diameter than the tube itself) to where the cap ends flush with the buttstock pad, so it still collapses to the minimum length possible with the longer buffer tube...im curious exactly how much shorter the ARC tube total length is compared to the pistol tube i have...
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

Ok, from what i have gathered about the ARC, from back of lower rec to collapsed end (equal to length of buffer tube total, since the buttstock allows tube to fully seat into an opening) is 4.5"...my pistol tube is 7" long, but im thinking half an inch will be inside receiver, which means if i can construct this little project as my mind sees it:
Standard ARC setup would be 4.5" collapsed to 12" extended
My AAAARC would be 6.5" collapsed to 12" extended

Two inches of coolness...is it worth it? Any chance someone damages one of these and wants to cheap sell me the stock section only? Lol...

Edit to add: does anyone know if all of these stock kits (ARC, NEA, Troy) use the same stock piece with just differing buffer tubes and innards?
Texasgunner

Post by Texasgunner »

BadKarmaZeroSix wrote:Ok, from what i have gathered about the ARC, from back of lower rec to collapsed end (equal to length of buffer tube total, since the buttstock allows tube to fully seat into an opening) is 4.5"...my pistol tube is 7" long, but im thinking half an inch will be inside receiver, which means if i can construct this little project as my mind sees it:

Two inches of coolness...is it worth it? Any chance someone damages one of these and wants to cheap sell me the stock section only? Lol...

Edit to add: does anyone know if all of these stock kits (ARC, NEA, Troy) use the same stock piece with just differing buffer tubes and innards?
The NEA/troy/ARC DO NOT use the same pieces! NEA and Troy are prob real similar with the main difference being the latching mechanism. The ARC is completely different. I should know..... I owned an NEA version which I sold because I did not like it at all. (the finish on the one I recieved was so bad I had to Cerakote it prior to install. It was also missing the guide rod set screws that keep you from pulling stock all the way off.) I own 2 of the ARC stocks. They are awesome. I also have that really short pistol buffer with the guide rod/spring that is pictured above in my parts bin. Also have a silent captured spring in one of my 5.56 builds!

So....... I may be able to help you out in this endeavor. But I will say that my first thought would be to modify the silent captured spring. That way if it doesn't work out you've ruined a $140 buffer system and not a $395 stock! Also JP sells the different springs, so it'd be easy to test and see what's work.

But I will say the buffer system ARC devised functions perfectly in my 300!

To the OP...... I got your PM and am willing to help you out. Pam me your # and I'll give you a call. Discussion by phone would be Mitch more efficient than me typing!
Suputin221
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin221 »

BadKarmaZeroSix wrote:
Lol, ya, its helpful to me...i was imagining it differently...in the case of adding a cap like that, i would want to bore out the buttstock opening to allow the cap (since it's wider in diameter than the tube itself) to where the cap ends flush with the buttstock pad, so it still collapses to the minimum length possible with the longer buffer tube..
A better solution would be to thread the tube internally and make a cap the goes inside the tube. It will look cleaner that way.

Any shop that can thread the tube externally can thread it internally and make a cap to fit. The biggest problem you are going to run into will be cost.
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

Texasgunner wrote:
BadKarmaZeroSix wrote:Ok, from what i have gathered about the ARC, from back of lower rec to collapsed end (equal to length of buffer tube total, since the buttstock allows tube to fully seat into an opening) is 4.5"...my pistol tube is 7" long, but im thinking half an inch will be inside receiver, which means if i can construct this little project as my mind sees it:

The NEA/troy/ARC DO NOT use the same pieces! NEA and Troy are prob real similar with the main difference being the latching mechanism. The ARC is completely different. I should know..... I owned an NEA version which I sold because I did not like it at all. (the finish on the one I recieved was so bad I had to Cerakote it prior to install. It was also missing the guide rod set screws that keep you from pulling stock all the way off.) I own 2 of the ARC stocks. They are awesome. I also have that really short pistol buffer with the guide rod/spring that is pictured above in my parts bin. Also have a silent captured spring in one of my 5.56 builds!

So....... I may be able to help you out in this endeavor. But I will say that my first thought would be to modify the silent captured spring. That way if it doesn't work out you've ruined a $140 buffer system and not a $395 stock! Also JP sells the different springs, so it'd be easy to test and see what's work.

But I will say the buffer system ARC devised functions perfectly in my 300!

To the OP...... I got your PM and am willing to help you out. Pam me your # and I'll give you a call. Discussion by phone would be Mitch more efficient than me typing!
i knew they werent identical, just wondered how drastically different they were, maybe differences in the actual sliding stock component...its cool to know you have tried the previous versions tho...and how did you get TWO of these new stocks already? I havent even seen em available for sale yet...lol
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

Suputin221 wrote:
BadKarmaZeroSix wrote:
Lol, ya, its helpful to me...i was imagining it differently...in the case of adding a cap like that, i would want to bore out the buttstock opening to allow the cap (since it's wider in diameter than the tube itself) to where the cap ends flush with the buttstock pad, so it still collapses to the minimum length possible with the longer buffer tube..
A better solution would be to thread the tube internally and make a cap the goes inside the tube. It will look cleaner that way.

Any shop that can thread the tube externally can thread it internally and make a cap to fit. The biggest problem you are going to run into will be cost.
Thats how i had imagined the cap when you first mentioned it...like i said, my limitation is knowing what can or cant be reproduced in a machine shop that i can see in my mind...lol
BadKarmaZeroSix
Silent But Deadly

Aaaaaaannnnnnd...
this idea is now on hold, maybe permanently. Because of this:

viewtopic.php?f=151&t=92439&p=880466#p880466

I can wait for the real thing rather than trying to make my homemade shorty "look" like a honey badger. This project might resurface once my financial situation changes, but as for now, rather than spend $400 on a stock that I'm not even gonna utilize the way it's intended, plus $120+ on another JP, i'm gonna start saving up for this toy as soon as she's available!
Texasgunner

Post by Texasgunner »

BadKarmaZeroSix wrote:Aaaaaaannnnnnd...
this idea is now on hold, maybe permanently. Because of this:

viewtopic.php?f=151&t=92439&p=880466#p880466

I can wait for the real thing rather than trying to make my homemade shorty "look" like a honey badger. This project might resurface once my financial situation changes, but as for now, rather than spend $400 on a stock that I'm not even gonna utilize the way it's intended, plus $120+ on another JP, i'm gonna start saving up for this toy as soon as she's available!

Well there you go..... I personally like to build 'em myself! Out of all the AR's I own, only 1 was a store bought. A Rock River, and even that one got taken apart and changed to how I wanted it. I just live building.

Here's what I'm working on that will incorporate my second ARC PDW stock.
Hopefully finish this one Monday. Waiting on my Knights Armament barrel nut wrench.