Picking Muzzle devices

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

hyrulejedi86
Silent Operator

Picking Muzzle devices

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

Ok, I'm going to be buying my two 300 blackout rifles, one bolt action and one 8-9" SBR/pistol AR this winter. I currently own a 16" 223 rifle that will also play host to my newly purchase Saker 762. My question is what combination of muzzle devices would you put on those guns? I was planning on the Trifecta flash hider for the 223, the Brake on the AR pistol and I can't decide if I want one on the bolt action as I probably would more than likely only be putting the Saker on it instead of the Octane 9 I have. I'm wondering what you guys would recommend putting on each gun, I can't decide. I started thinking it might be easier to just put the flash hider on the AR pistol then I won't have to figure out how to time it correctly.

What are your thoughts?
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Re: Picking Muzzle devices

Post by rebel »

Simple Threaded Devices - got one for 300 blk and one in 5.56. They work as promised. If you are looking for something that looks great and works these are your muzzle devices. If you are looking for something that just looks cool and is loud as hell or pops a flash like a grenade, well they make plenty of those :lol:
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Randygmn
Silent Operator

Post by Randygmn »

I went with the Ferfrans CRD for my 300blk pistol. Its a 2 part "system". First, is the compensator. Works really good at recoil maintenance (I'm a small guy, so I admit that accuracy with follow up shots needed improvement- this helped). Finally, there's a quick release blast deflector that deflects the sound and concussion forward (away from the shooter). Both pieces are manufactured really well. A bit pricey and with the deflector on, a bit heavy.

http://youtu.be/O8-ju332HAA
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

If i understand the post you are looking for a muzzle device that allows your can to attach. Is that right?

If so i would go with the flashhider, not the brake for the pistol. Brakes are just LOUD and you dont have much recoil to deal with shooting 300blk. My 9" gun has the AAC brake on it and shooting supers without my can is a shock after shooting with the can

Definitely get an attachment for your bolt gun. I run 110gn subs with Trailboss powder and it sounds like an air rifle going off. Way fun

Timing a muzzle device is not hard...just gotta spend the time playing with the shime to fig out which to use. 5 or 6 times trying diff shims and youll have it down. No problem 20-30 min is all it takes.

My advice is put flashhider mounts on all of em and be done. 223 & 300 really dont NEED breaks, unless youre doing 3gun matches and 1/100 of a second split times matter.

Looking back on it i wish i had all flashhiders and no breaks on my guns
hyrulejedi86
Silent Operator

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

Yes, Sharkbite. I appologize guys, I should have been a little clearer in my original post. I am putting those specific devices on my guns to mount my Saker 762 once it's approved.

Thanks for the suggestions Sharkbite. What you say makes sense to me. I think the Saker comes with 1 muzzle brake so I don't know where I'd put that but Trifect flash hiders all around sound reasonable to me.

What I've read elsewhere is that Rockset is the best thread locker for guns because heat doesn't affect it, right?
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

My 762 Saker came with the flash hider not the muzzle brake, even though I was told by the dealer and SilCo that it would come with the brake.
sucker76
Senior Silent Operator

Post by sucker76 »

I justs bought a Saker 762 as well. I also couldn't decide to go trifecta flash hider or muzzle brake. I posted a question and got a few responses that helped and I looked at other forums for info. My SBR and carbine will be mostly shot with the Saker attached. I was told to use brakes on short barrels and flash hiders on longer barrels. For some reason I still struggled with what to get. I knew the 556 saker had a special blast baffle and the 762 didn't. I ended up getting brakes for both just to protect the suppressor. The idea was to use it as a blast baffle that can easily be replaced and save the wear on the suppressor. And hey if I don't like it I can always get a flash hider later.
Stamp collecting since 2015
hyrulejedi86
Silent Operator

Post by hyrulejedi86 »

You know it's funny you mention that. I saw a photo documented article somewhere that showed what you are talking about and I definitely believe that an SBR would put more wear on the first baffle but from my understanding the 300 blackout burns most all of the powder by the time it reaches the end of an 8" barrel so would it still make that big of a differance in that case? I can see using it on a 223 SBR for sure but I believe what Sharkbite was saying about getting a bigger boom and concussion with a brake on an SBR.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

hyrulejedi86 wrote:Yes, Sharkbite. I appologize guys, I should have been a little clearer in my original post. I am putting those specific devices on my guns to mount my Saker 762 once it's approved.

Thanks for the suggestions Sharkbite. What you say makes sense to me. I think the Saker comes with 1 muzzle brake so I don't know where I'd put that but Trifect flash hiders all around sound reasonable to me.

What I've read elsewhere is that Rockset is the best thread locker for guns because heat doesn't affect it, right?
I think im done using Rocksett except on really hard use/duty type guns. Unless you KNOW u are not going to take the FH off for any reason.....EVER. I have found it to be a real PITA to remove a FH thats on with Rocksett.

I just had to take 2 bolt guns to the local gunsmith and pay him to remove the muzzle breaks ( 1AAC, 1 surefire) both had been put on with Rocksett. He had to make a special lead cast barrel vise for each gun cause his normal barrel vise would not jold em tight enough to break the rocksett free

When i reinstall em im going to shim em just enough that i need to put a good torque on em and call it good. My 9" AAC gun has Rocksett holding the FH on, but thats a gun i run hard and fast. If it need work im sending it back to AAC and they can deal with it.

As always YMMV and that my 2c
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

hyrulejedi86 wrote:You know it's funny you mention that. I saw a photo documented article somewhere that showed what you are talking about and I definitely believe that an SBR would put more wear on the first baffle but from my understanding the 300 blackout burns most all of the powder by the time it reaches the end of an 8" barrel so would it still make that big of a differance in that case? I can see using it on a 223 SBR for sure but I believe what Sharkbite was saying about getting a bigger boom and concussion with a brake on an SBR.
Yep, if i was running a 308 SBR i would definitely have a break on as a "sacrificial" first baffle and i would not shoot that gun un suppressed very much. I do run that set up on my 10.5" 556 gun. I dont need the recoil reduction of the break as much as trying to save wear and tear on my personal can.