Range day Ruger American RANCH 300 BLACK

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Re: Range day Ruger American RANCH 300 BLACK

Post by cwlongshot »

0uTkAsT wrote:
cwlongshot wrote:I dumped them in a lil plastic drawer years ago. ::) But the bullet is the Hornady 150 Spire PT Flat base hunting bullet.

I have loaded a couple more/different loadings to try. Wanted to go today but there was a match pre scheduled so I could not..

I am trying the Hornady 160FTX made for the 30-30 as well as a sub loading with 1680 and a 220G RN FMJ.
CW.
I have some of those 160gr. FTX laying around myself so I'm curious to see how they shoot. They're really long and shoot well from 1:12 twist barrels... not sure what they'll do out of a 1:8.

Don't worry too much. While its possible and probable NOT to have enough twist to stabilize a bullet... its not possible to OVER STABULIZE one. ;)

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Well, there is, but not with 300 BLK. And you can over rev too, but probably not with 300 BLK.
idaho.jon
Silent But Deadly

Post by idaho.jon »

Shot mine today, nice and smooth! Ejects to the same exact spot every single time, that is not impressive to some, but compared to my 223 Rem 700 VLS it is incredible. Will take pics on my next trip.
0uTkAsT
Silent Operator

Post by 0uTkAsT »

idaho.jon wrote:Shot mine today, nice and smooth! Ejects to the same exact spot every single time, that is not impressive to some, but compared to my 223 Rem 700 VLS it is incredible. Will take pics on my next trip.
That's good to hear. I pick mine up tomorrow or Tuesday. It's my first .300BLK so I need to start accumulating ammo and reloading components. Can't wait to shoot her, though.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

I hit the range again today. This thing is shooting better every trip!

ALL my loads shoot sub MOA. Love this rifle! :roll: :roll: :mrgreen:

CW

jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

0uTkAsT wrote:
cwlongshot wrote:I dumped them in a lil plastic drawer years ago. ::) But the bullet is the Hornady 150 Spire PT Flat base hunting bullet.

I have loaded a couple more/different loadings to try. Wanted to go today but there was a match pre scheduled so I could not..

I am trying the Hornady 160FTX made for the 30-30 as well as a sub loading with 1680 and a 220G RN FMJ.
CW.
I have some of those 160gr. FTX laying around myself so I'm curious to see how they shoot. They're really long and shoot well from 1:12 twist barrels... not sure what they'll do out of a 1:8.

If they shoot good in a 1-12 twist then they should shoot great in a 1-8 twist . you need a faster twist to shoot longer bullets thats why you see blackouts with 1-7 and 1-8 twist to stabilize 220 and 240 grain bullets.
idaho.jon
Silent But Deadly

Post by idaho.jon »

cwlongshot wrote:I hit the range again today. This thing is shooting better every trip!<br style="text-shadow: none;"><br style="text-shadow: none;">ALL my loads shoot sub MOA. Love this rifle! :roll: :roll: :mrgreen: <br style="text-shadow: none;"><br style="text-shadow: none;">CW
I only shot two different loads this trip, one was back from when I was first getting started and still had my crappy digital scale, so they were about a 2" group at 50 yards, the second was 5gr Unique behind a 150gr FMJ. Those were one ragged hole at 50 yards, albeit about 6 inches low :mrgreen:

Excited to get out again and shoot some of my now much more consistent loads, and hopefully it will be warmer than 12 degrees F next trip too!
0uTkAsT
Silent Operator

Post by 0uTkAsT »

You guys are getting me all excited. I ordered up 250 rounds of Freedom Munitions 150gr. loads for plinking and to build up a nice brass pile last night, and today I picked up 1,000 CCI #400s and 100 Nosler Ballistic Tips (50 125gr. and 50 150gr.) at Bass Pro. Unfortunately they were out of H110 powder.

The only thing I need to settle on now is the scope and rings. I'm thinking a Leupold 2-7x in Talleys.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Twinsen wrote:Well, there is, but not with 300 BLK. And you can over rev too, but probably not with 300 BLK.
Care to elaborate?

Because, the more velocity you produce, the greater the forces on the bullet... ONLY WAY to overcome this (In a firearm) is to make it spin faster... Too slow and it will yaw and become very inaccurate. That's basic physics.

CW

Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

If over stabilized, they will cobtinue their upward angle while moving forward and down in a non-aerodynamic manner.

Also extremely overspun bullets can disintegrate, but that's with high velocity cartridges with thin jacketed varmint bullets.