What is your favorite 300 Blackout cartridge configuration?

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Antinimby
Senior Silent Operator

What is your favorite 300 Blackout cartridge configuration?

Post by Antinimby »

Here at F.O.G. Cartridge Company we are bringing on additional loaders to produce 300 BLK other than our 220 Grain Sierra Subsonic. I am interested in what you the consumers would like to see in cartridge configurations, so please let me know what your favorite bullets are, what you like but can't find a regular supply of or if there are other ways you would like to see our products packaged, quantities etc.

Post your ideas here for discussion or you can send me an e-mail at [email protected].

You can view our website at http://www.fogammo.com

I could use an open discussion on this issue to ensure that we are delivering the product that you the consumer wants not what is easy for us to manufacture.

Also for those of you who reload are you finding supplies when you need them? We are also considering selling everything 300 BLK for your reloading needs.

I really enjoy this cartridge and want to do whatever I can to promote it and to provide you with the products you desire.
Thanks
ScottB70
Silent But Deadly

Re: What is your favorite 300 Blackout cartridge configurati

Post by ScottB70 »

I reload, and I like supporting small businesses. I would buy components from you (probably not brass, I make my own), but I suspect you would be sold out just as often as the big guys are and I still wouldn't be able to get stuff. :lol:

I'm also going to give the SMK rounds your son makes a try next time I get paid.

My suggestion for you is that you need a plinker load. Something like a 147 grain pull that you can buy in bulk for super cheap. A lot of guys here just care about shooting a lot of rounds as affordably as possible.

You could make a Nosler 125 grain ballistic tip or Hornady 125 grain SST for those guys who hunt and want something heavier/different than a Barnes blacktip.

You probably need to think about loading up 208 grain Hornady AMAX/Match for when you can't find your 220 SMK in stock. Also the 208 is cheaper so that is what I buy by default.

Good luck!
v188
Silent Operator

Post by v188 »

Great pints from Scott. I've got some of your ammo enroute now. Looking forward to shooting some.

I think 125 gr is handy for hunting but I wouldn't buy a lot.

Good plinking loads ~150 gr is always good. Luckily it's fairly easy to find.

I actually prefer you continue with economical subsonic, as it seems harder to come by. I don't care if it's 220 or 208. I've got lots of 5.56, so 300BLK for me is basically to shot subsonic suppressed.

Can't wait for the brown truck to arrive.
Antinimby
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Antinimby »

Good news is will will continue running subsonic in both 208 Amax and the 220 Sierra, we will do our best to keep our prices as affordable as possible. I think we would like to do some hunting rounds and the 125 SST is a good choice. From deer and hogs do you think the 125 covers the need?

We can look into plinking rounds, are you having problems staying supplied with these?

One of the main things I am working is how to package economically in a way that the consumer will be happy receiving the product but as importantly figuring out the least expensive way to ship the product. Shipping expenses are high, I can send 200 loose pack rounds for half of what it costs to ship one 50 round box. Crazy but reality.

Everyone needs to remember all are products are guaranteed, if you have an issue get a hold of us, and we will do whatever it takes to to make sure you are satisfied. We have 2 full time gunsmiths who can help work thru any problems.
ScottB70
Silent But Deadly

Post by ScottB70 »

125 Hornady SST and 125 Nosler ballistic tip will kill deer and hogs with no problems whatsoever if the shooter does his part.

For me, loose pack is fine if it saves me (and you) money.

147-150 grain plinkers aren't terribly hard to find, but a lot of times, quality can be a concern. Blown primers etc. Typically we find average to poor customer service with the companies we have problem ammo from. The market is not saturated by any means with plinking ammo. Personally, I think it is a good idea to ship 500-600 loose pack rounds in an ammo can.
ss355
Silent Operator

Post by ss355 »

Now that the Hornady 225 grn HPBT is available again, I'd like to see that bullet loaded, though because I reload I'll probably do it myself.

What I'd really like is a lightweight 110 grain bullet, along the lines of the Hornady 110 grn Spire Point, in a loaded round. If it was possible to make a round like that and bring it to market below the price point of the new Remington 120 grn "plinker", I think you'd sell a bundle.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Assuming correct overall length, I think a 120-125 gr FMJ supersonic and maybe an equivalent weight polymer-tipped expanding bullet would be welcomed.
"Common sense should be rebranded as uncommon practical knowledge of things you should know.”-nolwark76
tXr
Silent But Deadly

Post by tXr »

Something as a low cost plinker in the 110-120gr range, something a lot closer to what I would shoot while hunting(110gr blacktip)
The only trustworthy Bolshevik is the Bolshevik taking a dirt nap
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Just some food for thought, but couldn't you do the Speer TNT as both a hunting a plinker???

In the 500ct bulk packs a reloader purchases 500 for just less than $20/100 bullets. I would think an ammo manufacturer could get a better deal and be able to sell the as hunting/plinker loads to kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

There haven't been as many hunting reports using the bullet as those on the 125gr SST and 110gr Barne Blacktip but all 125gr Speer TNT reports have been very favorable. I have even spoke with a guy in person who uses the TNT as his deer and hog bullet here in TX so in my mind it is a homerun on both fronts of hunting and plinking.

Not to mention I have never seen that configuration offered for sale anywhere so you may have a product that isn't a repeat and can corner the market on that one config.

As I said, just some food for thought :)
300Blk
Site Admin

Post by 300Blk »

TNT is a short bullet. It would be great for a single shot but would not be ideal for an AR. Then again, it would be good enough for hunting (but maybe not self-defense). Terminal effects should be very good.