Bolt action specific subsonic loads.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

N2130N
Silent But Deadly

Re: Bolt action specific subsonic loads.

Post by N2130N »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:I have been using 5 grains of VVN320 for any bullet 200 grains or heavier. Works great with any of my single shots and is quieter than HS-6 or Longshot at the same velocity.

I was told I could use 45 ACP load data for 300 Blackout with bullets of similar weights. I do use the load data but I start out 10% reduced.
Where does N320 stand as far as burn rate Dolomite?

& has 45 acp data worked well for you? I've heard the same but was reluctant to try since the Blackout's bullets have WAY more bearing surface.
WTB: exotic ammo! AP, tracers, etc. Money waiting, whatcha got?
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

N2130N wrote:
Dolomite_Supafly wrote:I have been using 5 grains of VVN320 for any bullet 200 grains or heavier. Works great with any of my single shots and is quieter than HS-6 or Longshot at the same velocity.

I was told I could use 45 ACP load data for 300 Blackout with bullets of similar weights. I do use the load data but I start out 10% reduced.

& has 45 acp data worked well for you? I've heard the same but was reluctant to try since the Blackout's bullets have WAY more bearing surface.
The 45 ACP case is also larger that the Blackout so pressures will be higher from that as well as the longer bearing surface. But as I said using loads reduced 10% from the minimum have worked well for me.

It is slower than Trail Boss and faster than Green Dot. Using it with a 245 grain cast bullet you do get some primer movement but nothing worrisome in any way.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
N2130N
Silent But Deadly

Post by N2130N »

5.0 grains of trailboss under the M27 tracer bullet (only 108 grains but about as long as a 150 grain round nose) is subsonic, 1.9" oal.

Didn't actually chrony them... But brought in the new years five miles from nothing at my friend's farm firing them downhill into the pondbank about 200 meters away.

It was COLD (well below freezing) outside & there was no bullet flight noise, they are absurdly quiet. After the firing pin clicks, the tracer lights about 50 meters out & you can actually hear it 'sizzle' as it flies away from you. They burn to 200 meters plus & are incredibly bright when it's pitch black out!

Happy 2015 everyone!
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

I just loaded some 245 grain coated Missouri Bullet Company bullets over 4.0 grains of Clays. I just found my new, favorite single shot load. I can actually hear the hammer drop on my Encore.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
N2130N
Silent But Deadly

Post by N2130N »

Only 4 grains.. What velocity are you getting there?

I had horrible luck with those bullets. How accurate are they for you?
N2130N
Silent But Deadly

Post by N2130N »

Getting close to a load with the Lapua B416 200grain sub bullet. Lemme tell you what so far this is one impressive projectile!

I basically have finished making a load with these to mimic the Lehigh 194 expanders. I'm going to compare these with another powder & different seating depths to see if I can streamline loading, fine tune point of impact or maximize suppression.

Back to the bench!
dboutfitters

Post by dboutfitters »

Here's some data on a subsonic load workup using the 208 amax and Unique. Target velocity is in the 1020 - 1040 range so it looks like I have a sweet spot in the 6.6 grain area. Accuracy north of 6.0 grains matched or beat factory hornady loads. Everything was stable, nothing tumbled, even some of the 5.8 grain loads that were in the low 800s.

Notes:

*Test mule 16.5" Remington SPS 700 AAC-SD 300blk - chamber measures 2.4165 to the lands
*Caldwell Ballistic Precision chronograph @ 10ft from muzzle
*data is based on 10 shot group average with barrel cool time between loadings

Case Primer Charge Projectile COAL Crimp Avg Altitude Temp Pressure
Hornady Factory Subsonic Ammo ? ? 208 Amax 2.195 +- ? 1070.4 304 79 F 30.08
Carolina Brass once fired fully processed Lake City CCI 400 5.8 gr Unique 208 Amax 2.20 +- none 846 304 82 F 30.11
Carolina Brass once fired fully processed Lake City CCI 400 6.0 gr Unique 208 Amax 2.20 +- none 944.8 304 82 F 30.08
Carolina Brass once fired fully processed Lake City CCI 400 6.2 gr Unique 208 Amax 2.20 +- none 978.7 304 82 F 30.08
Carolina Brass once fired fully processed Lake City CCI 400 6.4 gr Unique 208 Amax 2.20 +- none 1005 304 78 F 30.03
Carolina Brass once fired fully processed Lake City CCI 400 6.5 gr Unique 208 Amax 2.20 +- none 1010.8 304 69 F 30.03
Carolina Brass once fired fully processed Lake City CCI 400 6.6 gr Unique 208 Amax 2.20 +- none 1028 304 69 F 30.03
Carolina Brass once fired fully processed Lake City CCI 400 6.7 gr Unique 208 Amax 2.20 +- none 1039.2 304 69 F 30.03

I'm going to continue the load development to maximize accuracy but I can already say that Unique has proven to be a solid choice for the 208s out of my Remington. I read a lot of reports that pistol powder is stupid, silly, hollywood (fill in other adjective) quiet and I have to agree. This of course in on top of the distinct sound reduction inherent in bolt / single shot 300blks. I've shot 300 plus rounds of the subsonic hornady 208 grain factory ammo through an AAC Cyclone and thought those were quiet until I tried some 208's over unique. Same projectiles, same gun, same can so I feel it's a decent test. It's hard to put the sound difference into words but I'll try, anecdotally:

With the Unique load suppressed @ 50 yards the bullet impact into the target backer and sand berm was MUCH more distinct than with the factory loads and really all you think about after the shot in terms of sound. The best way I can describe it is that with the factory loads I hear a quiet rifle report and target impact together and remember the combination of the two. With the factory ammo I definitely hear powder burning and gas expansion past the suppressor and these sounds blend in with the target impact, making everything seem a bit louder in the aggregate. However, with the Unique load, the rifle report comes and goes and is so forgettable all you remember is the sound of the target impact. This makes sense as the unique burns so much quicker than factory ammo powder or anything being used to reliably cycle as gas gun and again anecdotally, it sounds like ALL of the powder burn and expansion happens before the bullet leaves the suppressor so when you do hear the impact that's all you're left to think about.

Someone with the means should do a slo mo shot or FLIR comparison of the muzzle blast and I bet that picture would describe it better than I can.

FWIW a gentleman 25 yards away at the pistol range came over to inquire about the "pellet gun" I was shooting.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

N2130N wrote:Only 4 grains.. What velocity are you getting there?

I had horrible luck with those bullets. How accurate are they for you?
5 grains goes supersonic through a silencer. I was just trying some stuff so I did not set up my chronograph.

Accuracy wise I have never had an issue with bullet impacts staying within an inch of each other at 25 yards.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
N2130N
Silent But Deadly

Post by N2130N »

M62 tracers!

I ran out of M27 tracer heads (30 carbine) so I looked around & scored a pile of M62 tracers (pulled from 7.62x51mm) to load up. I've tried both supers & subs:

With about 14 grains of W296 & 2.150" OAL they almost all lit & cycled my Mini 100%. Not quite as bright as the M27s but at least double the burn time for that extra oooo & ah effect.

For subs I started with my go-to load of 6.0 grains Unique. Those were a wee bit to fast as they all cracked supersonic. Can't use my chrony at night so I'm loading these by ear. The next step at 5.5 grains were all subsonic on a pretty cool night so velocity is good but by this point almost 50% didn't light.

I'm going to visit a slower powder, probably working down from my W296 load to try to get a higher percentile of ignition. Stay tuned!
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:
N2130N wrote:

The 45 ACP case is also larger that the Blackout so pressures will be higher from that as well as the longer bearing surface. But as I said using loads reduced 10% from the minimum have worked well for me.

It is slower than Trail Boss and faster than Green Dot. Using it with a 245 grain cast bullet you do get some primer movement but nothing worrisome in any way.
I'm looking forward to trying N320. I use it in my 9 and 45, it would be nice to have a good single shot load using a powder already on my shelf.