How are the 110 barnes TTSX (not blacktips)?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

doubleshot00
Silent But Deadly

How are the 110 barnes TTSX (not blacktips)?

Post by doubleshot00 »

Has anyone had good success with the Barnes Tipped Triple-Shock X Bullets 30 Caliber 110gn? These are not the elusive/ghostly/imaginary Barnes black tips. These have the blue tips.

How do they fly out of 8" barrels at 100yds? My 8" blackout shoots like crap at 100yds using Hornady 125 sst's.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: How are the 110 barnes TTSX (not blacktips)?

Post by tallburnedmidget »

doubleshot00 wrote:Has anyone had good success with the Barnes Tipped Triple-Shock X Bullets 30 Caliber 110gn? These are not the elusive/ghostly/imaginary Barnes black tips. These have the blue tips.

How do they fly out of 8" barrels at 100yds? My 8" blackout shoots like crap at 100yds using Hornady 125 sst's.
Never shot them out of my SBR but I had/have great success with them in my 16" AR and my 16.5" bolt gun. It is currently my proven supersonic deer hunting bullet. I'm going to give the Blacktip and the 110gr Lehigh Defense Controlled Chaos bullets a try this year.

If deer hunting I would be concerned with expansion out of an 8". In one outing using the blactip and the CC bullets I have yet to push either 110gr bullet over 1900'ish fps at the muzzle. This concerns me for real game (not hogs) hunting with the very short barrels.

Wish I had more info for you.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

Great bullet, but you need to know that it is very different than the "Black Tip".
The TAC-TX has a bullet profile that is optimized for feeding in the AR Platform.
More importantly though, the TAC-TX expands at lower velocities than the TTSX. (Min velocity for expansion = 1,350 fps)

The plus sides of using a TTSX instead of the TAC-TX are:
- You can push the TTSX faster than the TAC-TX without the petals shearing off on impact.
- Accuracy potential may be better since the TTSX has a more traditional bullet profile.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Post by JeffWard »

TAC-TX opens down to 1350 FPS.
TTSX opens down to 1800.

If you're not getting 2000 FPS+ at the muzzle, the TTSX will not mushroom reliably outside 175-200 yards. The TAC-TX will.

Getting 2000 FPS at the muzzle from an 8" barrel requires a max load of H110, a lot of crimp, and a bit of luck.

JW
Guns are tools designed for dirty work both competitive and defensive. If I meet someone with a well worn gun, I hope their barrel is pointed the same direction as mine if the lead starts flying...
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

Barnes does make a comment saying the TTSX will begin expansion at 1600 fps with complete expansion by 1800 fps. So you might get some expansion down to 1600 fps, but it's better to use 1800 fps as a guide for planning purposes.