Handi Rifles -> hotter load capable then the AR platform?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

triehl27
Silent Operator

Handi Rifles -> hotter load capable then the AR platform?

Post by triehl27 »

I am curious, since I own both now and have come to get in the habit of having an accuracy load for ea rifle individually, but also developing a general MOA or better load that works across the caliber.

Reading up more and more on the Handi Rifle, and how guys are HOT loading them in 45-70 and other calibers... got me thinking... Would the handi handle hot loads better then the AR???
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Re: Handi Rifles -> hotter load capable then the AR platform

Post by plant.one »

i believe that "hot" for a 45-70 is based on the relatively low pressure that trapdoor 45-70 rifles need to maintain. According to hornady their cap is 25,000 c.u.p. for the trapdoor, 40,000 c.u.p. max for the 45-70 for the 1895 marlin, and 50,000 c.u.p in strong action's like the Ruger #1, browning 78, wickliffe & siamese mauser bolt actions.

with a saami spec of 55,000 c.u.p threshold for the blackout, i doubt there's much in the way of hot loading you can really work up beyond typical published max's

[edit] i do not reload for 45-70, this is purely based on what i've read about the caliber.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
80hp
Silent But Deadly

Post by 80hp »

plant.one wrote:i believe that "hot" for a 45-70 is based on the relatively low pressure that trapdoor 45-70 rifles need to maintain. According to hornady their cap is 25,000 c.u.p. for the trapdoor, 40,000 c.u.p. max for the 45-70 for the 1895 marlin, and 50,000 c.u.p in strong action's like the Ruger #1, browning 78, wickliffe & siamese mauser bolt actions.

with a saami spec of 55,000 c.u.p threshold for the blackout, i doubt there's much in the way of hot loading you can really work up beyond typical published max's

[edit] i do not reload for 45-70, this is purely based on what i've read about the caliber.
+1
100% correct about the .45-70, I load for a Trapdoor.
However, loads for the Handy are more flexible-no gas system to worry about.
M.
THANKS! TO THE AMERICAN VOTERS FOR DEFEATING CLINTON AND MAKING TRUMP OUR PRESIDENT! :D
dead-bird
Silent But Deadly

Post by dead-bird »

I'm going to guess the brass to be the weak link for the Blk.
Go too hot in the Handi and you'll most likely have the same issues you would in an AR.
The case is fully supported except for the extractor so maybe a little help there.
Primers and primer pockets, nothing you can do about those.
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

I can only report on my Handi in 300BLK.

I've found with most of my various 300BLK rifles and uppers they either like 18.7gr H110, 125gr Nosler BT and an oal of 2.1" OR 19.0gr H110, 125gr Nosler BT and an oal of 2.2" for accurate hunting loads. I normally try both loads and 1 will be the best. I get no high pressure signs, but note that my oal's are longer than some use.

So, I naturally try those 2 existing hunting loads in my Handi (after it was well broken in) to see which works best. Both gave real high pressure signs as in stuck case or case separation. I had to keep dropping down until I found MY Handi liked 18.2gr H110 with an oal of 2.2" and nice accuracy with no high pressure signs. My Handi is well broken in with 2,314 rounds fired, and the throat has advanced .107" so that should mean even less pressure with a longer distance for the bullet to travel until it hits full rifling height, but my Handi couldn't handle as high of loads as all my other 300BLK rifles/uppers can.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

The Handi Action is actually not as strong as an AR.
The action of an AR is a gas actuated "Rotating Bolt Action".
The Handi is a "Break Action".

A Bolt Action platform is inherently stronger and stiffer than the Break Action because the breach is both locked and supported around the entire circumference.
The "Break Action" platform's weakness is the hinge.
While a Break Action is by design simpler and less expensive to produce, a Bolt Action is going to be inherently stronger and accurate.

The only advantage the Handi gives you in loading for the AR is not having to worry about what impact a load may have on the gas system and what may happen to a popped primer.
That being said, it is still not safe to exceed the safe pressures that SAAMI specifies for 300 BLK.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain