Whos Hunting w110gr Control Chaos Lehigh Defense This Season

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

DirkHelmut

Re: Whos Hunting w110gr Control Chaos Lehigh Defense This Season

Post by DirkHelmut »

This is the only bullet that I am presently using for hogs. It's devastating and I love it. I've used the 125gr Nolser BT's, 110gr. Barnes Black Tips and a few others but the 110 Controlled Chaos bullet is my choice right now on hogs. Mainly because it's inexpensive and accurate. I hand load 100% of my ammo and have found this bullet works well for me.

My shots are about 50 - 100yds and I've only taken about 6 or 7 hogs so far with the Lehigh Defense bullet but all have been 1 shot DRT kills including a 250lb sow and a 275lb boar. I shoot them in the neck so I don't ruin any meat. With the controlled chaos round there is massive internal tissue destruction so I wouldn't recommend shooting an animal in a location (ie. shoulder,etc) where you intend to keep the meat for consumption.

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to use these on deer. Perhaps one of these days I'll have an opportunity to try them out on a whitetail. I'm not covered up in deer like I am hogs.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I guess inexpensive is a relative term :shock:
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
jwb47
Silent But Deadly

Post by jwb47 »

rebel wrote:I guess inexpensive is a relative term :shock:
dealing with relatives is never inexpensive.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

$.32 per projectile for a premium hunting bullet is a pretty good deal.
Comparatively, the Barnes "Black Tip" is twice as expensive at $.63 per projectile.

I have been really impressed by Lehigh.
Their products are top notch and they don't rest on their laurels.
Hell, they just came out with a new 145 grain Controlled Chaos .30 caliber projectile and a 90 grain CQD projectile with an Aluminum tip.
2015 should be an interesting year for Lehigh.
Hopefully they will get a bunch of samples in the hands of some folks to test with.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

DirkHelmut wrote:This is the only bullet that I am presently using for hogs. It's devastating and I love it. I've used the 125gr Nolser BT's, 110gr. Barnes Black Tips and a few others but the 110 Controlled Chaos bullet is my choice right now on hogs. Mainly because it's inexpensive and accurate. I hand load 100% of my ammo and have found this bullet works well for me.

My shots are about 50 - 100yds and I've only taken about 6 or 7 hogs so far with the Lehigh Defense bullet but all have been 1 shot DRT kills including a 250lb sow and a 275lb boar. I shoot them in the neck so I don't ruin any meat. With the controlled chaos round there is massive internal tissue destruction so I wouldn't recommend shooting an animal in a location (ie. shoulder,etc) where you intend to keep the meat for consumption.

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to use these on deer. Perhaps one of these days I'll have an opportunity to try them out on a whitetail. I'm not covered up in deer like I am hogs.
Wow thanks for the info. Good to hear it is performing as I imagined. I'd like to see some damage pics if you have any images of these hogs or any in the future. We all love to put our eyeballs on the results. Thanks :)
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Dr.Phil wrote:
$.32 per projectile for a premium hunting bullet is a pretty good deal.
Comparatively, the Barnes "Black Tip" is twice as expensive at $.63 per projectile.

I have been really impressed by Lehigh.

Their products are top notch and they don't rest on their laurels.
Hell, they just came out with a new 145 grain Controlled Chaos .30 caliber projectile and a 90 grain CQD projectile with an Aluminum tip.
2015 should be an interesting year for Lehigh.
Hopefully they will get a bunch of samples in the hands of some folks to test with.
I agree they are a decent deal for what you get. I have 100 I haven't loaded yet. They aren't the cheapest thing that works good though. The blacktip is stupid expensive. I to, await the aluminum tip to try.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

DirkHelmut wrote:This is the only bullet that I am presently using for hogs. It's devastating and I love it. I've used the 125gr Nolser BT's, 110gr. Barnes Black Tips and a few others but the 110 Controlled Chaos bullet is my choice right now on hogs. Mainly because it's inexpensive and accurate. I hand load 100% of my ammo and have found this bullet works well for me.

DirkHelmut how far back from the shoulder and into the ribs would you recommend shooting a deer with the CC bullet to avoid shoulder meat damage? Like 1 rib, 2 ribs back, etc.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

tallburnedmidget wrote: DirkHelmut how far back from the shoulder and into the ribs would you recommend shooting a deer with the CC bullet to avoid shoulder meat damage? Like 1 rib, 2 ribs back, etc.
I would go just behind the shoulder. The way the CC fragments, too much chance of shredding the stomach if you go too far back. Personally I would rather loose some shoulder meat than to taint the rest with stomach bile.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

smustian wrote:
tallburnedmidget wrote: DirkHelmut how far back from the shoulder and into the ribs would you recommend shooting a deer with the CC bullet to avoid shoulder meat damage? Like 1 rib, 2 ribs back, etc.
I would go just behind the shoulder. The way the CC fragments, too much chance of shredding the stomach if you go too far back. Personally I would rather loose some shoulder meat than to taint the rest with stomach bile.
Ok that sounds good, I am also thinking I would shoot a little high to avoid good meat. I've also toyed with the idea of shooting the neck close to the shoulder not the head. That neck area I speak of is large enough to hopefully avoid missing the deer when all amped up and the CC should destroy spinal chord, arteries, and other important quick killing tissue. Plus even with sub-par shot placement I don't imagine a deer can run very far when it cannot pick up it's head :)
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

I think hitting them there with that bullet would be a DRT. Especially if you hit just a tad high and the angle was good. Neck roast / burger sacrificed but zero tracking. Just not to far back or the backstraps may get some.