Lee Powder-Through Expander Options

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Bob The Great

Lee Powder-Through Expander Options

Post by Bob The Great »

I've been collecting equipment for loading 300 BLK, and I'm trying to determine the best choice for a powder charging die to use with my Lee auto-disk measure. I will also be using a .30 MrBulletFeeder die, and I know I need to flare the case mouth slightly to get a good drop. In order to conserve press stations, I would prefer to use a powder-through expander rather than splitting the functions into two dies.

I know one option is to use a Lee 30 Luger expander die, but because of the difference in length between 30 Luger and 300 BLK, I'm concerned that I would have to back it out of the toolhead by a large amount. I'm sure it would still work that way, but I thought that surely there must be a better choice.

I've also heard of using a 30 Carbine expander die, which is much closer in length to the 300 BLK, but the opening in the die body has to be enlarged because the 30 Carbine is a straight-walled case, and is too small for 300 BLK. Also not ideal.

I did some further digging, and I think there may be a third option worth exploring: Has anyone tried using a 30 Carbine expander plug in a .357 Magnum die body? The .357 Mag case is very close in diameter to 300 BLK, and the case length is identical to 30 Carbine (only slightly shorter than 300 BLK). Additionally, Lee's .357 Mag dies can also be used for .357 Maximum, which is significantly longer, so it should be able to easily accommodate the 300 BLK case length. If the 30 Carbine mandrel is the right outer diameter to fit into the .357 die body and is the same height as the .357 mandrel (which is should be, since both cases are the same length), it seems like this combination should work pretty well.

Has anyone tried this and found out that it does or doesn't work?

Case Length
30 Luger: .850
30 Carbine: 1.290
.357 Mag: 1.290
300 BLK: 1.368
.357 Max: 1.605

Base Diameter (excluding rim)
30 Carbine: .354
300 BLK: .377
.357 Mag/Max: .379
30 Luger: .391
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Re: Lee Powder-Through Expander Options

Post by Dr.Phil »

I use the 30 Luger Die with the Lee Auto Disk (Double Disk Kit) and it works like a champ.
No issues with it having to be backed out too far.
Sucked to have to buy a three die set for a cartridge that I don't own, but it was worth it...
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
WalterGA
Silent But Deadly

Post by WalterGA »

Seems-to-me that, if you can afford a bullet feeder, then you can probably afford a real powder measure. I'd suggest the Hornady LNL with case-activated kit and powder funnel. Much superior, in my humble opinion, to that cheesy Lee system.
Bob The Great

Post by Bob The Great »

WalterGA wrote:Seems-to-me that, if you can afford a bullet feeder, then you can probably afford a real powder measure. I'd suggest the Hornady LNL with case-activated kit and powder funnel. Much superior, in my humble opinion, to that cheesy Lee system.
Thanks, but I've already got the Auto-Disk from other calibers that I'm set up for, and I understand its nuances. Also, the bullet feeder die is just the dropper assembly (which is relatively inexpensive), not the full automatic collator. The complete system is far too expensive for me, so I'm feeding it with a length of rigid tubing instead.

The Hornady system looks like a nice measure, but I thought the powder-thru expander inserts were only available in .355 and up. If that's the case, then it wouldn't do what I need it to anyway, and I would still need a separate flaring station before the bullet dropper.

Since it seems like not many people have tried this combination, I might just go ahead and order the Lee .357 die and a spare mandrel to experiment with. They're cheap enough that if it doesn't work out, I'm only out $15 or so. Still interested in hearing from anyone who has already tried this though.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

WalterGA wrote:Seems-to-me that, if you can afford a bullet feeder, then you can probably afford a real powder measure. I'd suggest the Hornady LNL with case-activated kit and powder funnel. Much superior, in my humble opinion, to that cheesy Lee system.
If you have not tried the Lee Auto Disk system, you should.
My general opinion of Lee Precision Reloading Equipment is not good.
They have quite a few innovative ideas, but the quality of materials used and QA, leaves a lot to be desired.
The Auto Disk System, the Factory Crimp Die, and their Press Mounting Kits are solid products though.

I have used quite a few other powder systems, including the RCBS ChargeMaster, and the Lee Auto Disk system with the Double Disk Kit has impressed me.
After taking the time to set it up, it throws charges to within a tenth of a grain every time and does so as fast as I can pull the lever.
I initially picked up the Lee Auto Disk System in order to load some 5.56 NATO ammo, but after discovering how good of a job it did, it quickly came into service for most of my powder charging needs.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
WalterGA
Silent But Deadly

Post by WalterGA »

Dr.Phil wrote:
If you have not tried the Lee Auto Disk system, you should.
My general opinion of Lee Precision Reloading Equipment is not good.
They have quite a few innovative ideas, but the quality of materials used and QA, leaves a lot to be desired.
The Auto Disk System, the Factory Crimp Die, and their Press Mounting Kits are solid products though.

I have used quite a few other powder systems, including the RCBS ChargeMaster, and the Lee Auto Disk system with the Double Disk Kit has impressed me.
After taking the time to set it up, it throws charges to within a tenth of a grain every time and does so as fast as I can pull the lever.
I initially picked up the Lee Auto Disk System in order to load some 5.56 NATO ammo, but after discovering how good of a job it did, it quickly came into service for most of my powder charging needs.
I loaded over 80,000 loads on a Toadmaster, before I came to my senses. The Lee disk system just isn't for me. Although I did successfuly modify (took about three minutes) an adjustable charge bar so that it would stack on another adjustable charge bar in the double disk kit, a feat unfathomable by those geniuses at Lee. 8)

There's a guy who makes a powder-through funnel that accommodates every caliber known to man, which powder funnel works with the Hornady LNL system. I've never seen the point in a bullet feeder that required tubes' being loaded one-bullet-at-a-time. http://powderfunnels.com/
Last edited by WalterGA on Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob The Great

Post by Bob The Great »

That's cool. If I used a LnL, I would probably get one of those inserts.

My intent wasn't to start a debate about the best press or powder measure, but instead to talk about charging die choices for those of us who choose to use the Auto-Disk measure. I'm sure Hornady makes a fine product, it just isn't what I currently have.
WalterGA
Silent But Deadly

Post by WalterGA »

Bob The Great wrote:That's cool. If I used a LnL, I would probably get one of those inserts.

My intent wasn't to start a debate about the best press or powder measure, but instead to talk about charging die choices for those of us who choose to use the Auto-Disk measure. I'm sure Hornady makes a fine product, it just isn't what I currently have.
I edited/corrected my previous response. I meant "Hornady LNL" and said "Lee LNL". Maybe you'll be able to get a Hornady or RCBS, or some other drum-type measure at some time in the future. They work on any press. I'm using mine on a Dillon 650.
Bob The Great

Post by Bob The Great »

To follow up on this, I got the .357 die in the mail today, and it works just fine. The M1 expander insert fit perfectly and was a good length for my 300 BLK brass. I had to back the die off the shellplate by about 1/8", but it needed no modifications to work with the expander or the brass.

For anyone curious, I used a Lee 90582 .357 Magnum Expander Die (NOT the 90581 .38/.357 die) and a Lee SE2291 .30M1 Carbine expander plug.

https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-p ... 90582.html
https://fsreloading.com/lee-precision-p ... e2291.html