Shell case is not ejecting after being fired.

Discussion about rifles in 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7.62x35mm), hosted by the creator of the cartridge.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

300warrior

Shell case is not ejecting after being fired.

Post by 300warrior »

Just went to the range today with a new 7.5 in barrel. Loaded the mag, charged, fired. The case did not eject. Pulled back the charging handle, (manully ejected case) fired. Same thing, case did not eject. I loaded my own rounds 150 - 15.5gr h110 remington 7.5 primer.

I'm thinking either more powder in my loads or a different buffer tube spring.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
onley11
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Shell case is not ejecting after being fired.

Post by onley11 »

Check gas block alignment.
300warrior

Post by 300warrior »

Will do. Thank you.
Neophyte
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Neophyte »

I agree that your gas block alignment (or the gas tube in the block) is suspect. Remove the block and tube, and check for carbon fouling inside the GB and on the tube. While you have the GB off, check the diameter of the hole in the barrel (via the largest drill bit which fits in the hole, and post that info here, together with the brand of barrel and GB.

You will need to reposition the GB so it is directly over the hole in the barrel, and verify that the hole in the tube lines up with the hole in the GB. It was Rebel, I think, who suggests pulling the barrel off, plugging the chamber (with something other than a live round :P) and blowing into the (cleaned) muzzle while rotating the GB to find where the least air flow resistance is found. If your GB is lined up on the barrel and your gas tube is lined in the GB, you should be good to go.

Also, to see if it is your handloads, try a couple of factory loads for comparison.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

Just fixed a friends rifle with the same problem.
It ended up not having the roll pin installed in the gas block.
The gas tube moved around freely and acted like an adjustable gas block.

I aligned the tube and installed a roll pin and it ran just fine....
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
300warrior

Post by 300warrior »

Thanks for the info everyone. The issue was me being a newbie. I was using a bolt carrier group that wasn't mil spec (huldra). So the gas tube wasn't reaching the bolt carrier group. I have since ordered a mil spec bolt carrie group.
Thanks again for the info. You guys have saved me lots of time and money.
tfbit
Silent But Deadly

Post by tfbit »

So you were using a BCG that came out of a piston upper or does Huldra also make DI uppers with a non-milspec BCG?
No matter what you read on the intarweb CCI450s and CCI41s ARE NOT BALLISTICALLY IDENTICAL with H110! I'm also not a intarweb lawyer so I don't argue with anyone who is.
300warrior

Post by 300warrior »

Lol! Yes, now after researching that, that was the issue. Using a gas piston bcg for a di upper. I am brilliant!
vertical ascent
Senior Silent Operator

Post by vertical ascent »

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm laughing with you.

I think the mods should sticky a thread "remember, that one time......". And have a collections of hilarious "oops and bonehead things we've all done with our weapons.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

300warrior wrote:Lol! Yes, now after researching that, that was the issue. Using a gas piston bcg for a di upper. I am brilliant!
I'm thinking you may have been a bit premature with your forum handle. :lol: :lol:
But you learned something, didn't you? When you make a bonehead mistake with a firearm and nothing blows up, you did OK. I've made a few myself.