Pre PC size die

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

caliplt
Silent But Deadly

Pre PC size die

Post by caliplt »

Post PC I will size to .311. For pre-powdercoating, should I use a .308 or .309 sizing die? 309 I can buy anywhere, 308 will have to be specially ordered from Lee.
ipijohn

Re: Pre PC size die

Post by ipijohn »

caliplt wrote:Post PC I will size to .311. For pre-powdercoating, should I use a .308 or .309 sizing die? 309 I can buy anywhere, 308 will have to be specially ordered from Lee.
I size after casting then re-size after PC with the same sizing die. After many 1000's of many calibers I have not had a single boolit with a coating adhesion problem.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

I only size after coating. Sizing before then again afterwards is just adding a step that is not needed.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
caliplt
Silent But Deadly

Post by caliplt »

Hmmmm, I was advised that the coating would come off. I guess I will have to try it and see. Thanks!
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

caliplt wrote:Hmmmm, I was advised that the coating would come off. I guess I will have to try it and see. Thanks!
If you powder coat it and then size it before baking it then yep you will have no powder coating on the boolit. After baking, if it comes off going thru the sizer then something else is wrong.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

There are a lot of people who are buying lubed cast bullets then trying to remove the lube. I think that is the cause for a lot of problems because the PC won't stick well if there is any lube or residue left on the bullet.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
Overton-AR
Silent But Deadly

Post by Overton-AR »

Dolomite_Supafly wrote:I only size after coating. Sizing before then again afterwards is just adding a step that is not needed.
^^THIS^^......I size mine AFTER only in a .310" sizer that I "finished" out from a factory .309" die.

(all this was from advice I have "glummed" off of Dolomite over the last year. He has had much
patience with me through many messages and even a few phone calls......thanks supafly) :lol:
boost
Silent But Deadly

Post by boost »

caliplt

I've never sized my 300BLK boolits prior to PC yet. All my 300BLK molds drops @ .311-.312 . After PC they get sized to .310. I'm not getting leading in any of my 3 barrels. So if i was to size prior to PC, i'll be sizing them at .310. It is an extra step that I'd prefer to skip, but it won't hurt either. You'd just get consistency, and that may equal to better accuracy. My type of shooting does not require MOA accuracy so ill never know the difference nor find the time to experiment. You may be on to something about leaving room for PC(sizing first @ .308-309) , maybe not. Experiment on this and give us a range report.

I'm my opinion, there IS a window where sizing prior to PC is not required , and I'm gonna say its within .002-.003 . Boolit alloy/hardness and powder quality.does play a role in this window .

I got leading in my G35 with Lee .40 mold that drops @ .405 that I sized after PC. I then did another batch size before and after PC , and that convinced me for above stated.
Last edited by boost on Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
SEMI - SILENT
caliplt
Silent But Deadly

Post by caliplt »

That's the thing, I eventually want to appreciate MOA when I step up to .308 for my AR10. I generally shoot at 300 yards with it. If it can hold MOA, I'd be quite happy! 300 Blackout I'm not too concerned about MOA.
john from md
Silent Operator

Post by john from md »

Multiple runs through a sizing die only softens the lead more. IMHO, the only time you need to size is if the loaded PC coated bullet won't load in the chamber. Then I would only size after baking.

Regards,

John