Help me pick my BUIS?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

KingIX
Silent But Deadly

Re: Help me pick my BUIS?

Post by KingIX »

I love fixed fronts when not running magnification style optic and have troys on 2 of my weapons
Weapons.
Rear my I like my lmt over my dd
then have ggg and magpul fold down rears
as well

wait said to much I dont need everyone to know
my stash lol
Stychiz

Post by Stychiz »

MMA10mm wrote:
Dochartaigh wrote:Why do you want them so low? There are lower sights made for H&K's version of an AR15 (most folding like Troy's HK sights), and they're fine on a regular AR15, but if you go lower than that you're not going to get a comfortable cheek weld.

Dochartaigh makes a critical point here. If you get lower sights, the receiver extension (buffer tube) will force you to twist your head nearly sideways and lay the side of your head on the tube nearly sideways to get your eye in line with the sights.

Now, I understand liking fixed sights, as the less moving parts the better -- Less to go wrong. So, it would not hurt to look at the standard front-sight-base/gas-block. However, you must recognize it will be sticking up high enough that it could get in the way of a scope or red-dot sight. Of course, you say you most likely won't be running those, so...

I plan on running a Reflex sight on my 300 pistol (10" bbl.), so I like the idea of folding sights. There are myriad choices there. Almost so many that it's impossible to figure out, so I understand your question... It's daunting sorting through everything available. Because I'm running the reflex sight as my primary and the irons will truly be "back-up" sights, I'll add another criteria for you: weight. Now, this adds another layer, because the lightest BUIS are plastic. I don't like plastic sights, on the same theory you like fixed sights: resiliency. For a rear sight, I'm going with the Knights Micro 300m, because it is very small and light, but metal. I also feel the 300m sight is PLENTY for the 300 BLK. I won't be shooting it that far most likely.
You captured everything I wanted to say. I just didn't know how to say it. I'll probably be using a fixed a frame style front that mounts to the rail. I've considered the Lmt because it's pretty much the same thing I use in the Army. It just seems bulky. Maybe that's a good thing.
MMA10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by MMA10mm »

Stychiz wrote: You captured everything I wanted to say. I just didn't know how to say it. I'll probably be using a fixed a frame style front that mounts to the rail. I've considered the Lmt because it's pretty much the same thing I use in the Army. It just seems bulky. Maybe that's a good thing.
Have you looked at the ARMS 41BL ? That's what I'm going with. Be advised that it is a little complex to mount a front sight to the barrel in front of the handguard, IF you use a pistol gas system. The mounting point for the gas block will be under the handguard, and the point on the barrel where a fixed FSB or ARMS 41 or any barrel-mounted front sight really, will be forward of the machined parallel-sided mounting point for the gas block. Usually the barrel is tapered or at least undersized (for the hole through the FSB) at that point. This will require shimming and probably pinning to make it firmly fixed. That's what my plan is at this point...
Vindic8

Post by Vindic8 »

You may want to consider a fixed 45 degree set. I run them on my 300 BLK and my 450 Bushmaster. Makes for a smooth transition when needed and they are full out of the way of the primary optic.
Unobtanium
Silent But Deadly

Post by Unobtanium »

I run an SL-1 up front and gen 2 mbus for the rear. This is my preference without budget consideration.
Stychiz

Post by Stychiz »

I'm considering the a1 style rear from CNC and a fixed rail mounted front. I have some time before I'll be buying though. I'm still waiting for the barrel and handguard and muzzle brake to come in. :P
Tommy kaira

Post by Tommy kaira »

I run FAB Defence flip up sights as a back up to my aimpoint (or Leupold scope, depending on what I'm doing) and find them very good. I think they are called Mako in the States. They weren't expensive and seem to be well made.