Survived the Christmas Chaos

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

firefuzz
Silent Operator

Survived the Christmas Chaos

Post by firefuzz »

Last week my new, sweet, loving, wife asked me if we could have her family Christmas dinner at our house in her most persuasive way. How could I say no????

The problems started when I started mentally reviewing the "guest" list. My wife's extended family includes two convicted felons (I have a couple in mine too so I'm not throwing rocks) , I of course, have a house full of guns. In Oklahoma felons cannot be allowed ANY access to firearms, PERIOD. So last Thursday I got to have a little conversation with the local DA about my dilemma. After re-examining the law, a very nice female ADA gave me the low-down.

1. No over-night stays by felons.
2. All guns either in a locked gunsafe or disabled, either way in a locked room. Keys on my person at all times.

(PLEASE DON'T USE THIS AS A GUIDELINE IF YOU HAVE A SIMILIAR SITUATION. CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL AUTHORITIES TO SEE WHAT THEY'LL ALLOW)

I added the sequestering of my two pitbull mix dogs in the room just outside the door of the man cave. They wouldn't bite a biscuit unless it attacked me or a child, (probably bite me if I frowned at Kelly, they LOVE her) but they look tough enough to scare the hockey out of someone unfamiliar with them.

Problem solved.....yeah right.

Friday we are informed, not asked, that the wife's brother-in-laws parents will be in town and attending. Nice enough people I guess (notice I did not say folks), but they're darn Yankees (bad enough) and bleeding heart, tree hugging, Obama loving, liberals to top it off. PLEASE LORD, give me strength!!!!!

I, we, had no real choice but to say ok, but I made sure to dust off and clean my portrait-sized pictures of John Wayne, Charlton Heston, and Ronald Reagan and moved them to the dinning room. (Wife just sighed and shook her head.)

Things actually went off without a hitch....too much wonderful food, lots of kids and laughter (little cramped, no indoor running room), the dogs got fat eating handouts from the kids, no voices raised or blood spilt. I did notice the B-I-L liberal parents exchange some glances after seeing the pics in the dinning room and I made sure they were seated where the "Big Three" could keep an eye on them. The only time things really had a chance of warming up was when the lady liberal stated that by my decorations she assumed I was a conservative to which I replied "Yes ma'am, I am, I love my country". She wisely let the conversation drop and I got the LOOK from the wife that said I had better play nice....or at least not start the war. (my Daddy didn't raise a foolish son, I shut up)

Kelly and I had been up cooking since 5:00am so when about 3:30pm everyone, including her two kids that live here, left to other festivities it was a good end to a long, crowded day. After putting up anything that would spoil, we've got enough left-overs to feed a shift at the firehouse, wifey and I got to take a quiet, two-hour nap together which was without a doubt (for me at least) the nicest part of our first Christmas together.

Hope everyone's Christmas was as good as mine.

Rob
[url=http://drugstore-onlinecatalog.com/]drugstore-onlinecatalog.com[/url]
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Re: Survived the Christmas Chaos

Post by talonxracer »

Glad your Christmas went fairly smoothly.
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

Sounds like you had a great Christmas. I had lunch at Starbucks and dinner in an airport for Christmas.
Adam21
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Adam21 »

I had 30 minutes with the fam, then back out on patrol. Took warrants on some numbnut who called 911 30+ times in 3 hours and listened to the disaster of a crash that ended up medi-vac'ing 3 out on a helo. It turned to a fatality.

ETA- double fatality as of 26 Dec
Last edited by Adam21 on Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calphalon cookware
BFGoodrich All Terrains
a pet rabbit
some rocks, an oak tree
and a Red Ryder
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

firefuzz wrote:The problems started when I started mentally reviewing the "guest" list. My wife's extended family includes two convicted felons (I have a couple in mine too so I'm not throwing rocks) , I of course, have a house full of guns.
Glad to hear your Christmas went well, I'm still stuffed!

I totally understand the concern of wayward family/friends and your firearms. I have like 15 aunts and uncles on one side of the family and 11 on the other. They all have 2-5 children a piece. Between all of the aunts/uncles and cousins there are a number who have decided to live their lives in the pursuit of their next high instead of facing the responsibilities of life. People addicted to drugs (and alcohol) lose who they are and will steal the fillings from your teeth to go buy more junk to get high on.

We all know that it is not the law abiding citizens that cause the majority of problems associated with firearms, it's the troubled folks that gain access to firearms that are the big problem. Unfortunately many of the firearms the troubled people gain access too belong to the law abiding citizens.

A good quality, bolted down, gun safe will help alleviate some of your concerns and here is a good thread on the topic viewtopic.php?f=128&t=83766

On a daily basis I personally deal with the concerns you had to consider. It is sad to worry about crazy family members and their crazy friends on top of all of the crazies that you don't know. It was a HUGE relief the day I had my safe delivered and installed. I cannot describe how it feels to know you are doing all you can, short of not owning firearms, to keep people from stealing them to be used in crime.

<Getting on a soapbox here so fair warning and feel free to skip.>
On a similar note, word to the wise for those of you that use Facebook. It's not your Facebook friends you need to worry about having access to what you have going on your life. Many more people than those in your friends list much too easily gain access to what you post. When you post something you must also consider the friends of your Facebook friends and the people they are hanging around with in person as your friends check and discuss the information you post. Facebook is heaven for thieves near you and your family and even more disturbingly to sex offenders, especially pedophiles, who create their warped/messed up fantasies from the information and pictures posted about people and their children on a daily basis. Disgusting!
<Getting off soapbox now>

I apologize for the drab turns this post took but life ain't pretty. In short, I think you will really feel much better if you look into a quality gun safe purchase especially now that you've had people in your home that may think they can get over on you after one visit. I know it felt and feels really good in my case. I hope that post comes in handy. Enjoy :)
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

What is a facebook? :mrgreen:
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by BlogSarge »

Adam21 wrote:I had 30 minutes with the fam, then back out on patrol. Took warrants on some numbnut who called 911 30+ times in 3 hours and listened to the disaster of a crash that ended up medi-vac'ing 3 out on a helo. It turned to a fatality.

This was my first Christmas after retiring. No fatal crashes, no domestic assaults, no suicides, no house fires, no anything. I loved 'The Job", but am thankful for being retired.

Stay safe.
smustian
Silent But Deadly

Post by smustian »

rebel wrote:What is a facebook? :mrgreen:
IF, and that is a huge IF, I ever decide to get a Facebook login, it would be to see photos of my grandson that my daughter posts. My personal profile would be name ONLY. No personal details or anything else. I enjoy my privacy too much and if I want you to know something about me then I will tell you.
Suputin221
Silent But Deadly

Post by Suputin221 »

Took my nefew and BIL shooting. Had lots of fun. Was a good christmas.
VENT625
Silent But Deadly

Post by VENT625 »

BlogSarge wrote:
Adam21 wrote:I had 30 minutes with the fam, then back out on patrol. Took warrants on some numbnut who called 911 30+ times in 3 hours and listened to the disaster of a crash that ended up medi-vac'ing 3 out on a helo. It turned to a fatality.

This was my first Christmas after retiring. No fatal crashes, no domestic assaults, no suicides, no house fires, no anything. I loved 'The Job", but am thankful for being retired.

Stay safe.

Police dispatcher here, who worked both eve and Christmas. Both uneventful. Glad you both stayed safe.
"Trust me...I know what I'm doing."