Check maker?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, Dolomite_Supafly

'Borg
Silent But Deadly

Check maker?

Post by 'Borg »

Who makes the best gas check maker?
I've run out of the Hornady and went to buy some and damn near had a heart attack, :shock: There's a price sticker on the old box at $3.59, LOL it's been a while since I bought any.
TIA
boost
Silent But Deadly

Re: Check maker?

Post by boost »

Looks like your decimal point should be moved once to the right ;-)
SEMI - SILENT
'Borg
Silent But Deadly

Post by 'Borg »

LOL, looks like but is correct. Bought back in the 60's IIRC
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

It sounds like it is cheaper these days to get into powder coating the cast bullets than to get into the gas checks.
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
bmiller

Post by bmiller »

I have a Free chex 3 for .22 cal bullets. There was a learning curve for me but I am pleased. I have been thinking about a .30 version, but if I can get away from checks I will .
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

I have a 2 step gas check maker. Made by Pat Marlin over on cast booilts.com . I honestly have not used it in a while. I got it to be able to use soda cans. After i got it I realized I needed a different punch in order to get the soda can gas checks to form right. And stick to the bases. I never did bother to get the right punch from Pat Marlin. If you are a member of castbooilts.com. they have a group buy thing over there for the gator checks and they are cheaper then anywhere else.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
'Borg
Silent But Deadly

Post by 'Borg »

The powder coating sounds interesting,, what are "Gator checks"?
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

'Borg wrote:The powder coating sounds interesting,, what are "Gator checks"?
there regular copper gas checks. I thing the guy that makes them is named gator, but i cannot remember.

I like the powder coating. it seems to work very well
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
Jupiter7
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jupiter7 »

Also check out 338remultramag's alum. checks on cb forum. That's the only ones ive used in .30 cal. I do have a pat marlin Checkmaker for plain based .45's I use for 45/70 and hot 45colt.

You could make your own:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... heck-maker
garandnutts

Post by garandnutts »

The Freechex3 is the cat's meow for making checks....one step, and with a 8" strip of flashing I get 15 checks...all you need is an arbor press.
One thing I did, also, was to weld a small piece of steel, bored to accept the base of the freechex wirth a set screw to hold it in place, to a plate that fits in my arbor press base, which I drilled and tapped(the press base) so it would bolt to it...keeps it in place.
After doing that, it is rock and roll...you need to dump the checks out of the cutter after each strip so you don't start compressing them in the tube, but that only takes a second...I also spray a light coat of Hornady case lube on the strip of flashing and the cutter to keep any wear down...don't overdo it, tho.
Hope this helps.
The check maker is made by Charles Darnall.....he is a great guy to deal with.
"If you are not outraged at what is going on...you're not paying attention"