Reloading: Load Data Compilation

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Reloader449

Reloading: Load Data Compilation

Post by Reloader449 »

This is a Survey of the existing Published Load Data. Last year when I first posted this, all I really had was the Format. With some time passing since then, there is now substantial data for suggested loads from manufacturers. New data fills nearly all of the holes and gaps in the previous version of this document.

Disclaimer: I have NOT loaded and test-fired these loads. This is a Research Survey. Sources: Hodgdon, Sierra, Western Powders, and Lee Precision.

Here is a PDF document which includes more than a Dozen different projectiles (110gr - 240gr) and Twelve Powders. Comprehensive Data includes Pressures and Velocities for more than 80%. The Load Data sheet fits between .30 M1 Carbine and .30/30 in the Lyman Reloading Handbook. I like the Lyman format, but if this is an Infringement of Copyright, I'll change it out.

http://www.vigilanceaero.com/300AACReloadData.pdf

Treated in this updated version are the Concerns for: Weapon Type, Barrel Length, Rate of Twist, Gas System, Cartridge Overall Length and Magazine types. Types of Primers are not included in this data from Manufacturers. Short Answer: Rifle was a 16" AR Carbine, either 1-8" or 1-10" Twist. And magazine was (probably) MagPul 30 rd PMag. :)

I plan to work up loads using the Nosler BT, Speer TNT, Barnes TTSX, various 150 - 168 gr bullets and the 240gr Sierra MK. Powders I've been able to acquire include H110, Enforcer, A5744, H4198 and RE-7.

Rifle is a Del-Ton/E.R.Shaw 16" AR Carbine medium gas system, 1-8" twist; With CCI primers, cut-down Lake City and Norinco brass and MagPul 30rd PMags ... especially since I live in Colorado. :x
tmkilburn

Re: Reloading: Load Data Compilation

Post by tmkilburn »

That's really well drawn up and very professional looking but where is the load data for the black tips!?
Reloader449

Post by Reloader449 »

Well, I reckon we can start here on Page Three of Lyman's data for 300 AAC Blackout:

http://www.barnesbullets.com/wp-content ... TAC-TX.pdf

Note how this is very close to, like almost identical to, the load data for other 110gr bullets. Anyway, for a supremely flexible and capable cartridge like 300 BLK, the 50th Edition of the Lyman Reloading Handbook HAS GOT TO HAVE at least Three pages of data, IMHO. What other loads next?
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

MBC 245, Lee 230, and M80 or whatever FMJ/ball is common.

When I see proof that .308 bullets under 145 grains exist in reality, all of this data will be amazing to me.
Reloader449

Post by Reloader449 »

Twinsen wrote:MBC 245, Lee 230, and M80 or whatever FMJ/ball is common.

When I see proof that .308 bullets under 145 grains exist in reality, all of this data will be amazing to me.
Given the probability that you are joking, I'll still add the photo. Seems to me there are members here who have commented on how well the 125 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip performs on White Tail Deer out of our favorite rifle cartridge. I have not purchased projectiles of 115 grs, but I have some store-bought ammo with bullets that size.

Shown are 125 gr Nosler BT, 125 gr Speer TNT, 130 gr Barnes TTSX, 150 gr Hornady FMJ/BT, 180 gr Sierra SPT-BT and 240 gr Sierra HPBT-MK projectiles. The 110 gr Hornady V-Max shown in the data sheet are not the smallest bullets we can shoot out of 300 AAC Blackout, but these are the smallest that I have accurate data for. So besides the loads which you have suggested, I'll try to find load data for smaller, as well.

FirefighterCT
Silent But Deadly

Post by FirefighterCT »

Twinsen wrote:MBC 245, Lee 230, and M80 or whatever FMJ/ball is common.

I'll post pics if you'd like to "see proof" but in the meantime, I assure you that after already reloading about 1k, I'm still sitting on nearly 3k .308 bullets under 145gr. All were purchased within the last 1-6 months and not at butt-rape (gunbroker) prices. At least half were purchased from private parties via various forum "for sale" posts.

They're out there, just need strong Google-foo skills and good networking. If you need help/leads, lmk what you want and I'll try to help!
300m3nt0kAAC

Post by 300m3nt0kAAC »

I created an account just to comment on this post. Your data compilation looks excellent.

I have loaded several sub 145gr bullets. They were between 143-144gr. They were pulls from CBC M80 ammo, in the yellow and white box.

My first observation is the Nosler 125gr BT data doesnt mention W296. Is there a reason? Nosler actually published W296 as the most accurate powder for this projectile.

If you dont mind I will be adding your data to my extensive 300 Black load data collection.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

300m3nt0kAAC wrote:I created an account just to comment on this post. Your data compilation looks excellent.

I have loaded several sub 145gr bullets. They were between 143-144gr. They were pulls from CBC M80 ammo, in the yellow and white box.

My first observation is the Nosler 125gr BT data doesnt mention W296. Is there a reason? Nosler actually published W296 as the most accurate powder for this projectile.

If you dont mind I will be adding your data to my extensive 300 Black load data collection.
As stated in the fine print of the PDF, "NOTE: Powders H110 and WIN 296 are Identical"
You will notice that there is load data listed for H110 listed there.

To the OP, thank you for taking the time to compile this PDF.
I would consider it a work in progress though.
There are still many loads not included and I also see some holes in the data that is listed.
If you need help compiling it, please let me know and I will contribute where I can.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
300m3nt0kAAC

Post by 300m3nt0kAAC »

As stated in the fine print of the PDF, "NOTE: Powders H110 and WIN 296 are Identical"
You will notice that there is load data listed for H110 listed there.

I understand that, but the OP also took the time to list both H110 and W296 for both the 110gr and 115gr projectile even though the data is the exact same.
Reloader449

Post by Reloader449 »

Dr.Phil wrote: To the OP, thank you for taking the time to compile this PDF.
I would consider it a work in progress though.
There are still many loads not included and I also see some holes in the data that is listed.
If you need help compiling it, please let me know and I will contribute where I can.
Yes, very much still a work in progress. It seems to me that the quite versatile and flexible 300 AAC Blackout should have several pages of load data. IIRC, I have even seen someone on this site describe their use of a lightweight bullet fired subsonically ... perhaps it was in discussion of the use of Trail Boss powder.

With bullet weights from 85 grains to 250 grains, and with the potential of all being fired at drastically differing muzzle velocities, there should reasonably be a very large number of loads. Currently, one of the cartridges that includes three pages in the Lyman Handbook is the .30-06, which of course I use in my M1 Garand. The 300 AAC Blackout has gotta be more varied than that caliber.

So, yes, please post here loads and missing data that I can add to the PDF data sheets. And most particularly if these are loads that have actually been test fired and proven. Thanks!