Hornady 125 SST issues.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

rcmorgan540

Hornady 125 SST issues.

Post by rcmorgan540 »

I got some of these and am not sure what the issue is. I am using 17.2 Grains of Lil Gun. I can't get these things close to the canteloure without blowing out the neck. Here are some photos. The one in the middle is a nosler. I fixed that issue. I was off on the OAL. Any ideas? I am fairly new to reloading, but have loaded thousands of 125 and 220 match kings. I have yet to have an issue with my brass. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Casey

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66223295@N07/10596523334

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66223295@N07/10596549314
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hornady 125 SST issues.

Post by randyrucker »

That is definitely an interesting issue. I would have to guess its a problem with how the brass was formed. I would try with some other source of brass or even some factory brass. It's almost like there is to much neck tension for the bullet going in. Wish I could help more. I've never seen that before.
1slow01Z71
Silent But Deadly

Post by 1slow01Z71 »

Are you chamfering the case mouths? What dies are you using and are you setting them up to provide a roll crimp? What does your ID of the case mouth measure?
Misspelled and missing words delivered to you via the hunt-and-peck method on my phone
talonxracer
Silent But Deadly

Post by talonxracer »

You could have an undersized expander ball creating too much neck tension causing the shoulders to crush or the crimp is starting during the insertion and crushing shoulders. That's all I can think of to check at the moment.
I took an Oath to preserve protect and defend the Constitution, I never took an oath to defend the Govt!!!
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

+ 1 on the Expander ball and +1 on the chamfer/ deburr. Make sure your sizing die is set up correctly, not sure if you have a gauge. I would chamfer first,easy, and try it. If that doesn't fix the prob, list what dies you have, maybe others have had the same troubles. You could also measure your expander ball and post that here for comparison with different makes.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
grrifles

Post by grrifles »

It looks to me that the seating die is crimping the brass before bullet being seated. Take a empty brass and put it in the press and see if the die is contacting the brass. If it is screw out the die until it does't then readjust the seating stem.

Chris
Tim Bogle
Silent Operator

Post by Tim Bogle »

grrifles wrote:It looks to me that the seating die is crimping the brass before bullet being seated. Take a empty brass and put it in the press and see if the die is contacting the brass. If it is screw out the die until it does't then readjust the seating stem.

Chris
I bet this fixes your problem.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

grrifles wrote:It looks to me that the seating die is crimping the brass before bullet being seated. Take a empty brass and put it in the press and see if the die is contacting the brass. If it is screw out the die until it does't then readjust the seating stem.

Chris
Sorry rc, when I said make sure your sizing die was set up correctly, I should have explained it like this. My bad. Thanks guys.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Magnum Mike
Silent But Deadly

Post by Magnum Mike »

Chris
That's what it looks like to me...
michael
--------------------
NRA Life Member

John 3:3

Check out our web store @ http://www.accuratearmsandammo.com
pvanwagner
Silent But Deadly

Post by pvanwagner »

I've seen this before when I forgot to trim the brass and it connects when seating the bullets. Did you check and trim the brass?