AAC blackout flash hider, compensator, or brake for SBR?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

85 Jimmy

AAC blackout flash hider, compensator, or brake for SBR?

Post by 85 Jimmy »

I've put together a 9.5" 300 blk upper and am waiting on my SBR stamp and my Form 4 for my can. Currently I have an AAC flash hider on it, but I've been reading that for a SBR it might be best to use a brake to reduce the chance of blast baffle erosion. Most of the stuff I've been reading is on 5.56 guns though. Does this apply to a 300 blk also?
I won't be running competitions with this gun (that I know of) and I probably won't be putting a high round count through it. The only time I plan to shot without the can on is when I'm doing load development with reloads to make sure they aren't key holing, I will also be shooting and reloading subs and supersonic ammo. I will also be using the can on a 16" 300 blk, 18" .308 AR, and 16" 5.56 AR. Eventually I'll build a short upper in 5.56, and it'll get shot with this same can. Oh, and the can is a 762-SDN-6.
pvanwagner
Silent But Deadly

Re: AAC blackout flash hider, compensator, or brake for SBR?

Post by pvanwagner »

Depending on the powder used 300 AAC Blackout achieves full powder burn in 8.2" so a muzzle brake is not needed to protect your blast baffle. That is why we make a 9" barrel, upper and SBR.
golfindia
Silent But Deadly

Post by golfindia »

I put the 51t brake on my short barrels for consistency.

I don't think it's necessary to spend the extra money for a break on the BLK. I haven't shot it at night, but I have never seen any flame.

10.5" 6.8 is a different story.... You could light a cigarette with that one.
Sharkbite
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sharkbite »

My thought is to put Breakout MBs on my shorty (9"). If im worried about flash or blast the i'll put the can on it. Ive learned that a good break DOES make a diff in muzzle rise when shooting fast
glennhmd
Senior Silent Operator

Post by glennhmd »

Sharkbite wrote:My thought is to put Breakout MBs on my shorty (9"). If im worried about flash or blast the i'll put the can on it. Ive learned that a good break DOES make a diff in muzzle rise when shooting fast
i have shot 10.5 300blk without any muzzle device and indeed it exhibits muzzle rise on full auto fire. not so much as compared to say a shortie 5.56mm. it gives more rearward push compared to 5.56mm though.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

If you use the AAC break just make sure to use the silencer or ear protection. Talk about LOUD!!!!
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Post by certifiable »

tallburnedmidget wrote:If you use the AAC break just make sure to use the silencer or ear protection. Talk about LOUD!!!!
Amen!
I absolutely hate shooting my SBR, which has the brakeout, without a suppressor.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
wchunter84

Post by wchunter84 »

Don't forget that the flash hider creates a nice high pitched "Twang" like a tuning fork for the first couple 1000 rounds. It's quite annoying and far from tactical when not utilizing your suppressor. There are several videos on You Tube demonstrating distances on the range of the "Twang", so be forewarned. I actually thought I hadn't tightened my hider enough after a day at the range and alot of confused looks. After I researched and contacted AAC, I got my answer...Just a heads up.
85 Jimmy

Post by 85 Jimmy »

We'll, I'm running the AAC flash hider on my 9.5" 300blk and my 16" 5.56 ar. I'm running the brake out on my 16" 300blk and .308 ar. I'm currently building an 11.5" 5.56 SBR and I'm going to run their brake on it. I guess I could switch up the brake out and flash hiders on my 300blks, but if AAC puts a flash hider on their factory 9" upper, I'll just keep it on mine.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

You are correct, the information that you are reading does not apply to 300 BLK.
300 BLK does not have erosion issue with short barrels like 5.56.
The un-burnt powder from a 5.56 SBR acts like a sandblaster and the wear on the blast baffle is noticeable.
Folks will use brakes as a consumable pre-blast baffle in an effort to protect their suppressor.
Like others have stated, 300 BLK is very efficient and burns nearly all it's powder in the first 8.2 inches of barrel.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain