Recipes

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

rebel
Silent But Deadly

Recipes

Post by rebel »

Since I see there are a lot of cooks on this forum, I will start this thread to share recipes. Don't limit it to wild game, but domestic stuff and sides from tater salad to mac and cheese. I find that good reloaders are good cooks because of our attention to detail. You will notice that I am a charcoal snob but I am southern and have an open mind. I love to cook ( and eat ) and I have won my wife over to venison by cooking it as it should be. I will start the ball rolling with one of my own.

TARTAR SAUCE

1/4 CUP DUKES MAYONNAISE ( this is only available in the south, if you don't have access, consider suicide or use the least sweet mayo you can find and add apple cider vinegar )
1/4 LARGE SWEET ONION-GRATED WITH THE JUICE
2 TBLSP. LEMON JUICE
1 ANCHOVIE MELTED IN A SMALL AMOUNT OF BUTTER
2 TBLSP OF CAPERS
1/4 CUP OF DILL CUBES
1 TEASP OLIVE OIL

MIX UP AND SPRINKLE DILL WEED OVER THE BOWL TILL THE TOP IS WELL COVERED.
LET IT SIT FOR AT LEAST 4 HOURS
SERVE WITH ANYTHING THAT SWIMS
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Re: Recipes

Post by tallburnedmidget »

Honey Lime Glazed Grilled Tilapia Fillets

Measurements Legend

tsp = teaspoon
tblsp = tablespoon
to taste = your preferred amount

Fish & Fish Seasoning Ingredients
1 1/4 lbs of Tilapia fillet (approximately 3 nice fillets)
1 pinch or to taste - Onion powder
1 tsp - Ground Cumin
Salt - to taste
Pepper - to taste

Seasoning Fish Instructions:
Season the Tilapia fillets on both sides with Onion powder, ground cumin, salt, and pepper.

Honey Lime Glaze Ingredients
1 stick of Butter
1 tsp Onion powder
1 tblsp Honey
9 tblsp Lime juice (approximately 1 - 2 limes rolled then squeezed)
1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
1/2 tsp Dehydrated Parsley Flakes

Honey Lime Glaze Instructions:
Put the stick of butter into a bowl and melt in the microwave. Once butter is melted add the onion powder, ground cumin, dehydrated parsley flakes and stir until mixture is even.
Add the honey and the lime to the mixture and stir until mixture is even.

Cooking Instructions:

Now that your fish is seasoned and the glaze is ready you should apply a good even coating of the glaze on both sides of the fish and then place the fish in the fridge.
Prepare your fire to be a medium hot flame. Once the flame is at the correct heat, place the fish onto an oiled fish grilling rack (preferred see here http://www.amazon.com/Charcoal-Companio ... lling+rack) or onto the grill directly or in an oiled foil "envelope" ("envelope" for ease of flipping).
Cook the fish approximately 5-6 minutes on each side (depending on your flame). Be sure and keep an eye on the fish to ensure that the edges of the fish fillets do not become too crispy or scorched.
When the fish is done brush a light amount of glaze on both sides of the fillets and serve on a plate.

Serves 3 people.

When cooked correctly the fish should be slightly seared, crisp around the edges, tender and flaky in the center. The meal goes well with steamed vegetables and wild grain rice. The vegetables are even better when the glaze is great to lightly brush on to them.

I hope you like the recipe. If you need any clarifications or have any questions feel free to ask :)
randyrucker
Silent But Deadly

Post by randyrucker »

Fried Hominy

1 tall glass cold hominy
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon milk or water
1/4 cup of fine cracker meal
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoon shortening

Pour cooked hominy, while hot, into a thick tall glass, first rinsed in cold water, and put it into refrigerator to chill. When cold, turn it out and cut into slices about 1/3 inch thick. In meantime, put shortening into heavy skillet to heat. Dip each piece of hominy into egg which has been beaten with milk or water, and then in cracker meal to which salt has been added. Fry in hot fat over medium heat until golden brown on both sides (turning once). (This is often served with bacon for breakfast and seldom sweetened with syrup). Serves 4 to 6.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Oh damn Randy, you just brought a tear to my eye. That IS grandmaw food. Cook mine the same.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Another post mentioned National Bacon Day being this Sat so... Give this recipe a shot :)

Grilled Cream Cheese Filled, Bacon Wrapped, Jalapenos

This is for a dish that can be an appetizer or a main course of a meal if you desire. Do not worry, this is not meant to be a spicy dish if prepared properly, but do not be surprised if you get a little heat every now and again from one of these guys. If you are not from Texas than this may be a completely foreign and wild sounding item to cook and eat, but beware you will be hooked! Enjoy!

What to buy:
-Get a pack of bacon (turkey bacon also works very well and there is no flare up on the grill with turkey bacon)
-Buy 1 Jalapeno for each slice of bacon in the pack
-Get some wooden bamboo skewers or some metal kabob skewers if you have them
-1 small tub of whipped cream cheese

Prep:
-If you use wooden/bamboo skewers soak them in water for 10min+ so they don't burn so easily on the grill
-Cut the tops (bout 1/4 inch below stem) off the Jalapenos
-De-seed and De-vein each Jalapeno with a small sharp knife, by digging down into the Jalapeno from the cut off top end, try not to leave any vein down in the bottom of the Jalapeno unless you want to burn up. If a white part of a vein is protruding (not even with the internal wall of the Jalapeno) then cut it down as best as possible. This step will take a bit of time and wearing some rubber gloves will keep you from getting Jalapeno juice on your hands that you may rub into your eyes later.
-Rinse out the Jalapenos so no vein or seed is left in the empty body
-With a spoon put about 1tsp to 1tblsp worth of cream cheese into each Jalapeno
For each Jalapeno:
-Drape a piece of bacon over the top of each Jalapeno hole, so that the ends of the bacon dangle on each side of the Jalapeno and the bacon covers the hole where the cream cheese was placed.
-Put the bacon wrapped/draped cream cheese filled Jalapeno onto the skewer so that the skewer punctures the bacon an Jalapeno holding it all in place upon the skewer
-Fill up the skewers with bacon wrapped Jalapenos leaving enough room to grab the skewer ends for flipping

Cooking:
-Fire up the grill at a temperature fit for grilling burgers
-Lay the Jalapeno skewers on the grill and let them cook
-Flip skewers from one side to the other periodically
-When the bacon is cooked (soft not crisp) the Jalapenos are done

Things to know:
-Wear gloves if you have them when removing seeds and veins
-If you do not wear gloves when removing seeds and veins then DO NOT rub your eyes at all NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU WASH YOUR HANDS! You will still get a little burn in your eyes lol.
-Removing the seeds and veins removes the heat/burn completely. I cannot over emphasize that you must thoroughly clean out all seeds and veins from the Jalapeno, or else you will burn up. A little heat is OK but too much is no good, and this dish is not intended to be spicy.
-Anytime you grill with real bacon you MUST keep a close eye on the grill for flare ups from the bacon fat, don't leave unattended for too long, turkey bacon resolves this issue but kind of defeats the purposes for national bacon day
-The Jalapeno skin will turn dark black as it cooks in some cases. Do not worry this is normal and will taste fine. What you need to watch for is if the Jalapeno skin gets burnt/crisp/crusty. If so do not fret, simply scrape the heavy crust off a little and it eats like nothing ever happened
-Beware these things are addictive!!!
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Grilled bacon wrapped dove breast

I used to not care for dove, as it was a dark, very rich meat. The addition of bacon, Carolina bbq sauce and charcoal helped me get over this.

12 DOVE BREASTS SOAKED IN SALT WATER FOR 24 HOURS. ( Remove as much lead shot as possible )

BACON

CAROLINA BBQ SAUCE
Apple Cider vinegar (1 cup )
Tomato juice ( 2 cups )
Cayenne pepper sauce ( 1/4 cup )
2 Tbls kosher salt
1/8 cup of brown sugar
3/4 cup of water
BRING TO A BOIL AND REDUCE BY A THIRD ON SIMMER. DO THIS AHEAD OF TIME AT LET SIT FOR A FEW DAYS TO CONCENTRATE FLAVOR.

REMOVE DOVE BREAST FROM WATER AND PAT DRY
MARINATE IN BBQ SAUCE OVERNIGHT RESERVING HALF THE LIQUID FOR COOKING
WRAP DOVE IN BACON AND SECURE WITH TOOTHPICKS
START CHARCOAL ( A SMALL AMOUNT WILL DO, 'BOUT A HAT FULL )
WHEN CHARCOAL IS WHITE PLACE IN GRILL TO ONE SIDE
PLACE DOVES ON YOUR TOP RACK ON THE OTHER SIDE
ADD A BIT OF THE SMOKIN' WOOD YOU WANT IN THE BEGINNING AND THEN NO MORE.
COOK UNTIL BACON IS CRISP OCCASIONALLY BRUSHING WITH YOUR SAUCE.

Using indirect heat, I reduce flareups and don't burn the sugars in the sauce.
This is my basic recipe for N.C. style sauce - it is a base - you create your own secret ingredients :lol: but need not be complicated. The sauce is designed to enhance, not to smother flavors. This recipe uses the words BACON and BREAST a lot so I figured y'all would enjoy.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Gonna give that a try after dove season opens here tomorrow. I do something similar but I'm going to incorporate your BBQ sauce steps in the mix. I slice open the side of each breast muscle and put in a sliver of onion, jalapeno, and granny smith apple, with the bacon and a toothpick holding it all together. Then onto the grill they go.

I will be sure to add your BBQ recipe to the mix :)
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

You can, and I have incorporate a jalapeno under the bacon. just remember, keep tasting the sauce to get it where you want it, sweet, hot, tangy - but it should always be thin. Years ago, we would head back to the house and clean the doves while a big pot of this was boiling/simmering and the doves went straight in and slow cooked with various other things. Forgive me ,for all I know you have never made this sauce, but you sound like a cook to me.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

I never make my own bbq sauce but I have watched others and have tasted the sauce other shave made. Your sauce sounds a lot like a bbq sauce made in some parts down here called "Sweet Lucy". Good stuff and is thin not thick. I'm all over it :)
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

rebel wrote: CAROLINA BBQ SAUCE
Apple Cider vinegar (1 cup )
Tomato juice ( 2 cups )
Cayenne pepper sauce ( 1/4 cup )
2 Tbls kosher salt
1/8 cup of brown sugar
3/4 cup of water
BRING TO A BOIL AND REDUCE BY A THIRD ON SIMMER. DO THIS AHEAD OF TIME AT LET SIT FOR A FEW DAYS TO CONCENTRATE FLAVOR.
I have the BBQ sauce on the stove cooling now. So far 2 thumbs up on the taste, it is the style of BBQ sauce you said it was :)

A change I'm making and tip to anyone making this, I'm going to cut the 2 TBLS of salt to 1 TBLS. This is mostly because MY cayenne pepper sauce (Louisiana style hot sauce that is not Tabasco for those of us in Texas) has quiet a bit of salt in it and is pushing the BBQ sauce into the territory of getting a little salty. Other than that no issues making the sauce.

Thanks for the recipe Rebel, I now have a new recipe to add to my list and I have some ideas on what I may do to it to make a local style sauce with this as the base. As a teaser I'm thinking about say.... honey, vidalia onion, and chipotle. Maybe even some strawberries somewhere in there, who knows ;)