Bullet stuck in Handi-Rifle??

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Re: Bullet stuck in Handi-Rifle??

Post by L1A1Rocker »

As long as it's just ONE bullet in the barrel you'll be fine. It happens more often than you think. Good advice already listed on what to do. I think the best advice is using 5 inch sections of wooden dowel - that way your not hammering down on a long dowl sticking out the barrel.

You only destroy a barrel when you have multiple bullets stuck. In that case when you hammer on the fist bullet, it results in wedging in the following bullets. THAT's a problem. You should be able to get your rifle back in working order with no problems.
Outsydlooknin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Outsydlooknin »

Ive stuck 223 subsonics in my 16 inch bolt gun .... I took a brass cleaning rod and cut the ends off where it was threaded and I use it ... always drive the bullet out thru the muzzle ... dont want to mess up the crown
threehundred
Senior Silent Operator

Post by threehundred »

I have used CORRECT size, as in equal to bore diameter, wood dowels a few times.

This was with copper jacketed bullets which ride on top of the rifling lands. Removal was a lot easier than I anticipated.

But if you were using over sized bullets, like I do with lead projectiles, and you feel you are not comfortable with a wood dowel, I would then go with brass rod, even though they are much harder to acquire.

Just take your time, your barrel will be just fine.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

OP, out of curiosity, describe your squib load. I have a Handi on the way and have posted this question in Handloading. I need to know how light is to light? My calculations are for a 200 grain Lapua-4.5 grains of TB Max, if loaded as short as my AR loads.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Gunner220
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Gunner220 »

also you want to use some sort of lubricant both in front of and behind the stuck bullet.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Gunner220 wrote:also you want to use some sort of lubricant both in front of and behind the stuck bullet.
+1 Liberally coating the bore with grease definitely helps.
Weldorone

Post by Weldorone »

I was using 6 grns of Trail Boss. With a Barnes 200 grn HP. I tried everything listed here with no joy, the had a local gun smith work on it he gave up and now I am waiting for a return label from H&R. They will fit a new barrel for me.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Weldorone wrote:I was using 6 grns of Trail Boss. With a Barnes 200 grn HP. I tried everything listed here with no joy, the had a local gun smith work on it he gave up and now I am waiting for a return label from H&R. They will fit a new barrel for me.
Oh man, I'm sorry to hear this. I've never heard of a single bullet getting that stuck before. Is is possible that there are two in there?

Here's a rather famious cross section of multiple bullets stuck. The shooter was shooting into a soft backstop and never realized that the bullets were not coming out the barrel.

Will it be possible to get the barrel back and cut a crossection to see what happened? IIRC the person that filled his barrel with bullets made a shadow box display of it.
Dolomite_Supafly
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dolomite_Supafly »

Did you stick a single bullet or multiples?

I cannot imagine a single bullet needing to be sent back. I hve literally stuck dozens of bullets in the bore, not at the same time, and got everyone out. I even stuck 3 bullets right behind each other and cleared the bore.

If you can get the old barrel back I would like to buy it.
WWW.thegunmilitia.com

Come join the militia!
dead-bird
Silent But Deadly

Post by dead-bird »

Unless they are going to cover the barrel replacement under warranty, just send in the frame. Keep the barrel.

It's easy enough, using a cleaning rod to determine if there's more than one bullet in there, and where it is.

If it's only one, there's no reason it can't be removed.