What Primer is used in Remington 300 BLK Brass

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Re: What Primer is used in Remington 300 BLK Brass

Post by certifiable »

StorminNormin wrote:
dellet wrote: What I am reading is that you used the the same powder load, with two different cases, and two different primers on two separate loading's. and the first functioned fine, the second did not, with the Remington 7.5's, in both cases, instead of 7.5's in some and CCI 400's in the other. The new Remington brass should have had 7.5's from the factory, so it is either inconsistencies in primer lot numbers or something else. If the primer lot change caused the problem, you are probably loading at the ragged edge of what will cycle your rifle. I am assuming it was the same powder lot anbd this is not another variable.

If you did not re-size the brass before loading the first batch, and did for the second shooting, this is also a change. It would be worthwhile to compare the head-space length of the new brass and the once fired reformed by you. The Remington brass I bought was certainly shorter in this respect than what I re-size to.
Actually I have had two loads work and one not with the same powder load and the powder was from the same container.

Lake City formed brass with CCI 400 - Cycled bolt
Remington new 300BLK primed brass - Cycled bolt
Hornady 300BLK brass with Rem 7.5 - Did not cycle bolt

I will try the CCI 400 and the Rem 7.5 with the same load but this time using one time fired Lake City brass I have reformed so the case is the exact same. I did not re-size the Remington or Hornady brass since the neck size seemed to be in spec, but they were a little longer than I like.
At one time I compared LC, rem factory and Hornady factory brass all loaded same powder, charge, primer & same bullet seated to the same oal.
Shot them over the chrony and the RP & LC cased rounds had near identical velocity.
The Hornady was around 100fps slower.
IIRC it was my 110 VMax load.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
StorminNormin
Silent Operator

Post by StorminNormin »

dellet wrote: This is part of the reason I resize new brass, eliminates one of the variables.
I agree and will do that for now on. This is not the first time I have had an issue with Hornady brass and I think that might be the issue.

I sent an email to Remington asking them which primer they use in their new 300BLK brass and I just got a reply today. They said they use their 7.5 primer. I have loaded up some once fired Remington 300BLK brass with the same powder load, OAL, and with a 7.5 primer so we will see how these shoot. If they cycle the bolt, then the problem was the Hornady brass that I should have resized.
tallburnedmidget
Silent But Deadly

Post by tallburnedmidget »

StorminNormin wrote:I will have to wait until it cools off a little before I can take the chrony out to my brother's land to use it. Ranges around here don't allow it and it sucks shooting at my brother's land with no shade in 105 degree heat.
+1 for the Magnetospeed :P
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?dimension ... ionid=4023
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Post by certifiable »

tallburnedmidget wrote:
StorminNormin wrote:I will have to wait until it cools off a little before I can take the chrony out to my brother's land to use it. Ranges around here don't allow it and it sucks shooting at my brother's land with no shade in 105 degree heat.
+1 for the Magnetospeed :P
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?dimension ... ionid=4023
Sorry, not trying to hijack this thread but...

I thought I read a post on this forum saying the Magnetospeed did not work well on ARs.
Maybe it was pistols, can't remember exactly.
Just curious.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln